Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

Primax, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

TuneNet (Enhancer Software) thumbs up!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I just noticed that latest version of TuneNet (Enhancer version) seems to remember the last track it was playing. Either I didn't know this had been added, or I forgot (more likely!).

Anyway, this 'small' addition is a REALLY great usability improvement. (It was one of the main reasons I was thinking of writing my own music player.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: TuneNet (Enhancer Software) thumbs up!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
True indeed but these are not the only improvements since A-Eon took back the development

One thing disapoints me is the the lack of fluidity of the bars (in the settings tab) when playing music. It used to be really smooth before A-Eon changed it. Now it is slow (as if it was running at 5 or 10fps).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L Quote:
these are not the only improvements since A-Eon took back the development

I didn't intend to imply it was! But IMHO it's the best improvement (apart from possibly enabling Shuffle not immediately jumping to the next track - was really annoying & non-standard).

Quote:
One thing disapoints me is the the lack of fluidity of the bars (in the settings tab) when playing music. It used to be really smooth before A-Eon changed it. Now it is slow (as if it was running at 5 or 10fps).

Do you mean the Radio/General tab in Prefs? (FWIW, it looks fine on my X1000, although I tend not to notice that kind of thing anyway.)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Do you mean the Radio/General tab in Prefs? (FWIW, it looks fine on my X1000, although I tend not to notice that kind of thing anyway.)

Nope, I mean the third tab where bars follow the music in stereo. Previous ones were really smooth, these new ones seem to run at 10fps (and they are way uglier than the previous ones).

Resized Image

--
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L Quote:
I mean the third tab where bars follow the music in stereo.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Very jerky.

I assume it's a side-effect of an attempt to fix another problem. They should at least double the 'frame rate', for it to look somewhat acceptable (although ideally it would run smooth like it used to, if that can be done without causing problems elsewhere).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Jerky ? Not on my X1000.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@K-L
Since my older versions stopped working, I don't have any way to compare the new version with older versions. Since the only real purpose of the bars is to get a visual cue to the stereo balance, the bars seem fine to me. I did test version 2.4 (to compare to version 2.7) and the bar movement looked about the same to me. However, the newer version can only scan for 500 stations while the v2.4 can scan for 1000 stations. That disappoints me a lot more than bar movement.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

The old version did not actually scan for 1000 stations because the old Shoutcast v1 API was broken and it was using a patch to continue it to work.

The new version uses the modern Shoutcast v2 API and is actually doing a real time scan of radio stations. Implementing V2 was a major new upgrade of TuneNet and many years overdue before we re-started development of TuneNet.

@ChrisH
We implemented many of your suggestions from a post on this forum a few years ago.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I reduced the "frame rate" of the VU meters because they were causing issues on some systems, when the CPU usage was high. I also lowered the update process priority IIRC but that by itself was not enough. The use of the fuelguage gadget was poor choice for such a rapidly updating GUI IMHO.

The change in appearance was down to a switch to the aeon equivalent gadget. Someone else did that.

Really a single custom gadget would do best here and that could add features like avatage peek etc that you often get in DAW VUs

WRT to the radio list as I mentioned in another thread, the limit of 500 is imposed by the version 2 API.

For more advance custom searching there is the ARexx interface that can do server side filetring thus gets you a lot more bang for your 500 stations in a fetch.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
I've discovered a problem with Tunenet. If certain videos start playing at WEB sites in Odyssey, Tunenet stops playing and has a semi-frozen GUI. I can click on buttons and open menus but nothing happens. I retested several times by going to what I thought was a news item here:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/un ... ments-site-184419682.html

The problem occurs while playing music from a hard-disk or play a radio station. I tested visiting that site while AmigaAMP was playing music and there was no problem. That would seem to indicate that it's a Tunenet problem.

I'm using an X5000 with OS4.1update1 and only a few programs installed from the Enhancer package (like TuneNet, Multiviewer etc.).

Can anyone else reproduce the problem and can we get this fixed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Odysseys media player is know to be buggy, I see no reason to blame this on Tunenet.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
Odysseys media player is know to be buggy, I see no reason to blame this on Tunenet.

Be that as it may, Tunenet is the only player that gets a locked GUI. I tested these players with the same MP3 file when going to that same site with these results:

AmigaAMP continued playing.
Multiviewer continued playing.
Simpleplay stopped playing but I was able to quit and restart it.
Tunenet stopped playing and had an unresponsive GUI. I could only quit Tunenet by rebooting.

My conclusion is that whatever the problem is, Tunenet should handle it as well or better than other music players.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
I reduced the "frame rate" of the VU meters because they were causing issues on some systems, when the CPU usage was high. I also lowered the update process priority IIRC but that by itself was not enough. The use of the fuelguage gadget was poor choice for such a rapidly updating GUI IMHO.

Thanks for confirming that. Myabe this should be changed since this VU Meter in the new version is worse than the original one

--
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

No it's not "worse" than the original, it updates less frequently so is less likely to cause interference with CPU load etc.

There is no need for VU to update so fast the gadget imagery blurs. Especially when there is no real way to determine peak values

If you want real time 25/50 visual updates, use the scopes that's what they are for. And being rendered outside the GUI framework they don't cause any weird issues when the system is under load.

As I said I would like to create a proper VU meter gadget for it with peak value display but I lack the time for the moment. (Matthew has me working on something else which is big job).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It is visually worse. Sorry to insist.

I was used to the old VU Meters which maybe were CPU consuming but only when displayed so it was my choice to see it or not (and use CPU). It was ok on all my systems BTW (from my Sam440 to my actual X1000).

If you think it has no real goal, delete these VU Meters since they have no utility as I understand.

TuneNet has been greatly enhanced but only this part has disapointed me.

--
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
I've discovered a problem with Tunenet. If certain videos start playing at WEB sites in Odyssey, Tunenet stops playing and has a semi-frozen GUI. ... I retested several times by going to what I thought was a news item here:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/un ... ments-site-184419682.html

.. That would seem to indicate that it's a Tunenet problem.

I'm using an X5000 with OS4.1update1 and only a few programs installed from the Enhancer package (like TuneNet, Multiviewer etc.).

Can anyone else reproduce the problem and can we get this fixed

No, works fine for me, on my X1000. Well, the main video at the top of the page fails to load, but a smaller video lower down does play (when scrolled into view), and TuneNet continues to happily play.

I suggest your problem has two possible causes:

1. Very high CPU usage upsetting TuneNet - shouldn't happen, but there could be a bug (race condition) in TuneNet. Check your CPU usage when on that web page, and maybe try reproducing that without Odyssey?

2. Odyssey (video playback) causing memory corruption, which TuneNet just happens to be sensitive to (due to it's memory allocation patterns), at least on your machine (with what is already loaded into memory). Not TuneNet's fault in that case.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
No, works fine for me, on my X1000. Well, the main video at the top of the page fails to load, but a smaller video lower down does play (when scrolled into view), and TuneNet continues to happily play.

Thanks for testing the problem. On my system main video at the top of the page is slow to load but if I leave the page at the top the video starts playing and after about 10 to 30 seconds Tunenet stops playing.

Maybe this is another X5000 issue. I just thought whoever maintains Tunenet could take a look to see if there is a weakness in Tunenet. Maybe it would need to be tested on the same hardware as mine.

Go to top

Register To Post