Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Tell me I bought the correct card(s)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125144420418
(Not sure you will be able to see the link. If not it is a AMD ATi Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 GPU Graphics Card Gaming PCI express 2.0 x16. Dual "row" with DVI, HDMI and two of the smaller out ports for which I forget the name.)
Hello all,

hopefully this card will work? And will be a nice upgrade from the stock R730 (4XXX) that I have installed at the moment?

Thank you.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Tell me I bought the correct video card
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

The only card listed as incompatible in that range is the 7790 so you should be fine.

Go to top
Re: Tell me I bought the correct card(s)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, thank you.

And, as for a network card that can handle a faster bit rate? Is there a suggestion for something other than a PCI 10/100?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

I've got a rtl8169 lan card installed in my x1000 with the according driver since years now.

It doesn't do 1000 bit (roadshow limitation, Iirc) but it's fast and reliable nonetheless.

Actually I don't know if anything beyond 10 or 100 bit is supported in AmigaOS4 anyway.

Someone correct me

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@raziel
Thanks for the info. In that case, I will probably just stick with the 10/100 for now unless someone else informs us.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

I have on my X1000 also RTL8169 NIC.
Actual speed (measured via TCPSpeed) is 35310 kB/s = 276 Mbps.

So it is two-three times faster than 100 Mbps NIC, but not 1000 Mbps of course.

Edited by sailor on 2022/2/13 15:35:29
AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
But the speed also depend on your Amiga hardware, with Pegasos 2/MorphOS I have speed 209 Mbps, and it is limitation of CPU speed (G4/1.33GHz).

AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sailor

Hmm, ok, so it seems to be faster.

What I'd find strange is, if the maximum speed depended on raw cpu power...isn't the nic chip the one that should do the work?

But maybe roadshow is the one slowing everything down?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel
I made no exact reseach, only plain test with TCPSpeed.

X1000 with this speed 276 Mbps has CPU utilization 60-70% (seen on Docky).
I don't remember Pegasos 2 utilization, but I can test it again. But this is MorphOS, AmigaOS has no driver for Peg2 GbE.

In past I measured my BananaPro with ARM A7 dual core 1.2GHz with Debian, and it had speed around 300 Mbps only. And linux has good TCP stack. So from this point of view AmigaOS stack has appropriate speed. Or BananaPro NIC is a little cripled.

So I am not sure what is responsible for limitation of performance. They say, that you need roughly one X86_64 modern CPU core per 1Gbps to utilize all flow. I can do tests also with Sam440ep and we will see.

I am not sure, which computer have rjd324. Anyway, if you have free PCI slot, I recommend to try 1GbE NIC.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

A DMA NIC does a lot of the work without the CPU being involved, but not all (e.g. it doesn't have a TCP/IP stack )

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

What computer are you planning to use the nic in?
And is it a card that uses the RTL 8139 driver?

I would avoid it on any of my computers and i have Peg2 and X5000.
It was many years since i used it on the peg2 and iirc i quickly switched back to use the internal nic but i did use it more recently on my X5000 and the speed/stability was nowhere near the speed i got from the rtl 8169 card and the more recent driver for the internal nic.

A nic is very cheap so just go for the rtl 8169 anyway.

Go to top

Register To Post