Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

MUIM_List_Insert: Should I see individual entries being added for a single large insert?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I was rather surprised to find that when doing a single MUIM_List_Insert call (with pos = MUIV_List_Insert_Sorted) to insert a large number of entries, I was able to see individual entries appearing in the list. I was expecting it to just suddenly appear with all the entries added. Is this what is supposed to happen?

I tried setting MUIA_List_Quiet to true, but that didn't help . Any suggestions?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: MUIM_List_Insert: Should I see individual entries being added for a single large insert?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am guessing here but maybe because you are sorting the list each time you add an entry, the list is getting refreshed ?

I tend to use Nlists but the commands seem to be equivalent.

What you could try is using pos = MUIV_List_Insert_Bottom
and after all the insertions are finished then do a sort using:

DoMethod(list_obj,MUIM_List_Sort);

It should also be quicker as you only sort the list once and not on every item insertion.

Go to top
Re: MUIM_List_Insert: Should I see individual entries being added for a single large insert?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE Quote:
I am guessing here but maybe because you are sorting the list each time you add an entry, the list is getting refreshed ?

No, I am *not* sorting the list each time I add an entry. Rather I am asking MUI to insert each entry into the correct place, so that it stays sorted.

Quote:
What you could try is using pos = MUIV_List_Insert_Bottom
and after all the insertions are finished then do a sort

I tried that, but it isn't any better. When I do a bulk insert using MUIV_List_Insert_Bottom, I still see the list 'slowly' grow as each entry is added. This is especially obvious if the list starts out as empty.

Quote:
I tend to use Nlists

Are you saying that NList does not suffer from this problem?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE
OK, I tried NLists, and the problem magically disappeared . So it seems that it was just MUI's built-in List that sucked.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Glad using NLists sorted things out.

I haven't used the basic List classes for a while but cannot recall this problem when I did. I don't see it using NLists which DU uses quite a lot of

> No, I am *not* sorting the list each time I add an entry. Rather I am asking MUI to insert each entry into the correct place, so that it stays sorted

I should have worded that better, I assume MUI must run a sort routine to add the entry in the correct place, which for many entries added individually will slow things down. That however seemed not to be the case for you as adding to the bottom of the lists did not help you either. It looks as if the built in Lists may have a bug ??

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
I was rather surprised to find that when doing a single MUIM_List_Insert call (with pos = MUIV_List_Insert_Sorted) to insert a large number of entries, I was able to see individual entries appearing in the list. I was expecting it to just suddenly appear with all the entries added. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Sound like a bug. Report it.

Quote:

I tried setting MUIA_List_Quiet to true, but that didn't help . Any suggestions?

Definately a bug! NOTHING should be refreshed when Quiet is true. Report it.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
As i didn't found it in BZ, just curius : did you ask Thore about, and did you provide a simply test case so it can be reproduced and fixed (if it still present in current muibeta) ?

Another moment is that NList are class which better to avoid, as it mess from the mess. Sure, programms use it there and there, but if you do not want to mess around messy NList code (which can happens at some point), you better skip it off, and find out the roots of your problem with default List.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
As i didn't found it in BZ, just curius : did you ask Thore about, and did you provide a simply test case so it can be reproduced and fixed (if it still present in current muibeta) ?

No I didn't. I really don't have time to do that at the moment. Hopefully at some point eventually, but don't hold your breath...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yep but as we don't have any default List class (yet) in MUI i presume we can't avoid the use of that = for the pourpose use NList still mandatory for now, or not ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil

You for sure understand all what CrhisH say, so, can you make a simple test case on C , so we can bring that to Thore , and he will not need to dig in into that and making test cases for yourself and so on ?

@samo79
Quote:

Yep but as we don't have any default List class (yet) in MUI i presume we can't avoid the use of that = for the pourpose use NList still mandatory for now, or not

We have of course default List class already (dunno how about first versions of mui at all in 199x, but imho too). That class inbuild in mui and used all the time everythere.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

You might send him a message with a link of this thread, easy and quick

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

You might send him a message with a link of this thread, easy and quick

Developers for sure have a lot more to do, than just sitting and for yourself writing test cases and do tests, and compare what going wrong and what not, loosing a lot of time to find out if it now error happens or not :) Simply test cases/codes on C which show a errors and problems are must.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

You are right ..

Go to top

Register To Post