Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Raziel, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Help installing and running classic productivity software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all,

Is there any easy to install and us, GUI based, file manager and installer to install and use classic Amiga productivity software in OS4?

I was given a link to Disc Image Device in OS4Depot, but I must admit that I am totally at loss with it. Unfortunately, I'm not a software programmer like most of the forum members are. So unless the app had a GUI, I can't make it work.

In my MOS3.1 system, I simply use the File Manager app to insert and mount an adf. Then in the case of apps, all I have to do it's to use yet another app (Installer) to install the program in my HDD.

Is there something similar for OS4?

So far I have only been able to install and have fun with games (which is extremely easy to do and lots of fun), but I want to make a more meaningfull use of my investment. I want to install and run programs such as PageSetter3, PageStream 3.2, DPaint IV, DMusic, etc., for all of which I have the correspondind adf files.

I would very much appreciate any extra help to take my SAM460ex to the next level of productivity.

Go to top
Re: Help installing and running classic productivity software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Did you download http://os4depot.net/share/driver/storage/diskimage_device.lha ?

It has a gui, when diskimage device is started it can be acessed from the tools menu. Just right click on the mouse when you're in workbench and go to the toolsmenu and choose diskimage to bring up the gui.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Also try http://os4depot.net/share/emulation/utility/runinuae.lha for the old non system friendly stuff but beware, installing diskimage and runinuae will cause deficons clashes, because diskimage will install a deficon to mount an ADF whereas runinuae will install one to boot it in uae...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't use deficons a lot (occasionally and mostly hyper/text files) but perhaps a "protect envarc:sys/def_adf.info -w", from AmigaShell, would prevent the unwanted association?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thematic

Yes it would and probably delete protect too ("protect envarc:sys/def_adf.info -wd") in case the installer does delete/replace rather than overwrite.

Or just install the two packages in the order you want, install the package with the default behaviour you want last.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Actually, "protect envarc:sys/def_adf.info -wd" will NOT stop RunInUAE's installer from changing this file, because it RENAMES it, so that it can be undone when it is uninstalled. The best solution would be to do this AFTER installing RunInUAE:

Copy EnvArc:Sys/def_adf.info.backup EnvArc:Sys/def_adf.info CLONE

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaOS Quote:
I was given a link to Disc Image Device in OS4Depot, but I must admit that I am totally at loss with it. Unfortunately, I'm not a software programmer like most of the forum members are. So unless the app had a GUI, I can't make it work.

Errr, DiskImage HAS a GUI. It even has a nice installer.

The installer will install the necessary system files, and set-up DefIcons such that double-clicking on ADF files automatically mounts the ADF as a disk. Should you have problems with double-clicking (say because RunInUAE has taken-over ADF disks), then you can use the provided DiskImageGUI program to mount (and unmount) ADF files.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Errr, DiskImage HAS a GUI. It even has a nice installer.

Not only that it's a contribution with 4.1 If installed as a contributuion the GUI can be found in Sys:System/ not sure about the independent installation.

Go to top

Register To Post