Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Mounting ADF images -- I'm doing something wrong
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I've gone off course somewhere. Seems like used to I could doubleclick on an ADF icon and have the disk image mounted on the Workbench screen.

So I downloaded a couple of CUAmiga cover disk ADFs with Imagine 4.0 on it because I want to see if I that works with OS4.1u3 like someone mentioned. But RunInUAE tries to get hold of them. (Hi, Chris!). So I turned off RunInUAE for now but can't seem to get DiskImage to mount the ADFs.

Do I need to change things in DefIcons? DEVS:? Elsewhere? I've tried MountDiskImage command from the shell, but I keep getting a requester saying to insert IDF0:

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Thanks!

Go to top
Re: Mounting ADF images -- I'm doing something wrong
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If you have diskimage.device "fully" installed, just mount idf0 and start DiskImageGUI.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
That put me back on course. Have reinstalled DiskImage and all is well with mounting ADF images on my little Samiga.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just to remind you.

There is an updated version in aminet.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks! That's the one I fetched. Working well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This happened to me the other day and I scratched my head, I just loaded DiskImageGUI, double-clicked a device and loaded the ADF in that way.

Side comment, even though the icon for the DiskImageGUI tool is present in the usual location it strangely isn't appearing in the Workbench window :S I use the Find tool, search it and double-click it that way.

However ADFs are somewhat irrelevant to me now as I registered WHDLoad, no slow floppy disc loading! It works perfectly within RunInUAE!!! Amazing work Chris. :)

I can now understand why someone is eager to get a PPC JIT working - some AGA games are dog slow especially Pinball Illusions. Not having hardware composition drivers probably doesn't help either - but after all that ranting I am suitably impressed. Boy I never remember Project X being so hard

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mbrantley

Sounds like you didn't have IDF0: mounted but apparently you managed to fix it on your own.

The mounting by doubleclick on icon is handled by the DefIcons def_#?.info files in ENVARC:Sys/. F.e. to modify the doubleclick mounting behavior for ADF files you modify the ENVARC:Sys/def_adf.info file. More detailed instructions on how the MountDiskImage can be used as a default tool can be found in the diskimage_device.guide file.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mbrantley
"I downloaded a couple of CUAmiga cover disk ADFs with Imagine 4.0 on it because I want to see if I that works with OS4.1u3 like someone mentioned. But RunInUAE tries to get hold of them."

When RunInUAE is installed, it "takes over" ADF icons (specifically EnvArc:Sys/def_adf.info), so that they are run by it, rather than being mounted for by OS4.

But as pointed out elsewhere, you *should* still be able to manually mount ADFs in IDF0 using DiskImageGUI.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ancalimon
Quote:

Just to remind you.

You're not talking about the m68k-amigaos version which I uploaded to Aminet just recently, are you? While this version can probably be used on AmigaOS4.x it's not recommended to do so as it doesn't have all of the features of the ppc-amigaos version and also has some workarounds in order to run on older AmigaOS versions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@ancalimon
Quote:

Just to remind you.

You're not talking about the m68k-amigaos version which I uploaded to Aminet just recently, are you? While this version can probably be used on AmigaOS4.x it's not recommended to do so as it doesn't have all of the features of the ppc-amigaos version and also has some workarounds in order to run on older AmigaOS versions.

I'm using it on OS 3.9 :) Thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Oops, misspoke. In fact I got latest OS4 version from OS4Depot. Thanks, everybody! At the moment on my Sam RunInUAE is not the boss of ADF files, but I may change it back. Might be handy to have a toggle for this. But I think something was hosed with my earlier diskimage installation as I could not even manually mount an adf.

Edited by mbrantley on 2011/11/21 17:50:53
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Deficons settings file is unfortunately not in text or xml format, so it's unpractical to change the settings without using the dedicated program. So there's the usual old method of saving multiple settings files and activating them with 'sys:prefs/deficons use choice1.prefs'.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thematic

Quote:

Deficons settings file is unfortunately not in text or xml format, so it's unpractical to change the settings without using the dedicated program. So there's the usual old method of saving multiple settings files and activating them with 'sys:prefs/deficons use choice1.prefs'.

You only need to edit the DefIcons prefs file if you want to add recognition for new formats that aren't already defined in the prefs file. For formats that are defined in the prefs file you can just edit/replace the def_#?.info icon files in the ENVARC:Sys directory.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
For formats that are defined in the prefs file you can just edit/replace the def_#?.info icon files in the ENVARC:Sys directory.

Right, I got the wrong target. Here too you need several versions of a file for easy switching. Or a dedicated (commandline) tool to modify .info files.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
you need several versions of a file for easy switching. Or a dedicated (commandline) tool to modify .info files.

Luckily there are already several such tools! The old 68k DoIcons, the new OS4-only ChangeToolType (and probably more 68k tools). Both are very handy.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post