Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

kas1e, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Quake Flickering on sam440ep?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all im having problems with my sam when running quake? It looks like it can render the frames, here is a video i made showing what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-36k34rEbc

TIA

Go to top
Re: Quake Flickering on sam440ep?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
anyone?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

nevermind got it working lol it was my resolution that was the problem however i would like to know how i use my mouse to look around instead of left to right.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@carvedeye

Go to the console and type

+mlook

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
You wrote on AW.net:
Quote:
well i have just figured out what the problem was it was becuase i had set the graphics to 1280 x 1024 on workbench so set it to 640 x 480 and i now get no flickering :) would love to play at higher resolutions but atleast i got it to work.

1280x1024 *should work* (and in fact does work fine for me), although I use 800x600 for better performance (since it is using software rendering).

You could try disabling triple-buffering, although it works fine for me.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
I had an (unlikely) thought: Perhaps you are running out of video memory? If you have an "old" Sam440 with a built-in graphics card (only 64MB of video memory), then that's possible, and might cause problems with triple buffering at high resolutions. But if you have a "real" graphics card (PCI) then this is an unlikely explanation.

If you *are* running low on video memory at high resolutions, then one possible solution it to turn Compositing off (in Sys:Prefs/GUI, Effects). Another solution would be to try turning-off triple buffering.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Yeah im using the onboard gfx, where would i be able to buy a readon 9250 that is compatible with the sam440ep board?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye Quote:
where would i be able to buy a readon 9250 that is compatible with the sam440ep board?

I'd ask AmigaKit!

But before blaming your built-in graphics 'card', you need to run some tests to prove that video memory is the problem. Please (a) try disabling triple buffering for Quake, and (b) try disabling Compositing.

You can also see how much video memory is free, but I'd rather you run those tests first before we do that.

I should note that *I* have Compositing enabled, and I use a 1280x1024x32 Workbench, and Quake still runs fine at 1280x1024. So I am a little doubtful this is the reason. But that's why you need to run some tests!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

ok will do that and let you know.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Well i have i have turned of composting and i have disabled triple buffering and the problem is still there at higher resolutions?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
OK, sounds like video memory wasn't the problem then. Your problem is a bit of a strange one, probably only someone else who had it will know how to fix it...

What is the highest resolution that DOES work OK? And do any other 3D games work OK at 1280x1024?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@carvedeye

nevermind got it working lol it was my resolution that was the problem ...

FWIW, I don't have a SAM, but I can get flicker via the 'Contrast' monitor control. I change it often for night/day time lighting. Too low, like 25% or below, the monitor starts to flicker.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@carvedeye

I see the same issue with my sam440ep 667Mhz system with all screen modes above 1024x768 on my system all screen modes if I disable interrupts=yes.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dwyloc
You just made the mistake of adding an S to the end of "interrupt"!

@carvedeye
Given what Dwyloc says, I think it would be wise if you just copied & pasted here all the Tooltypes from your "Sys:Devs/Monitors/Radeon M9" icon. Then maybe we can double check for any problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Dwyloc
You just made the mistake of adding an S to the end of "interrupt"!

Just a typo as I was not sitting at my sam440ep, I have checked and it is interrupt=yes I have set.

It would also seem that 3d speed has dropped at some point as the gl version of quake did not use to be as slow in one of the older 4.1 beta releases it is even unplayable at 640x480 for the second episode, but at least workbench graphics corruption under Workbench as found in the older releases of OS4.1 are fixed so I can live with the performance drop playing glquake as the software render version works well as long as you don't set the resolution too high.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Ok will do

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

I could not copy and paste it so i just typed it instead.

Here are all the tooltypes:

CMPLENGTH=9
BOARDTYPE=Radeon M9
(DDCMODE=ALL)
VSYNCMIN=60
VSYNCMAX=70
HSYNCMIN=31000
HSYNCMAX=70000
MODE=640X480@60
MODE=800X600@60
MODE=1024X768@60
MODE=1280X720@60
MODE=1280X800@60
MODE=1280x960@60
MODE=1280X1024@60
(FAKENATIVEMODES=YES)
INTERRUPT=YES

Edited by carvedeye on 2010/11/12 9:14:59
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Dwyloc
Quote:
...but at least workbench graphics corruption under Workbench as found in the older releases of OS4.1 are fixed so I can live with the performance drop...

If you mean the graphics corruption on the Sam boards, that was caused by an uninitialized hardware register. It had nothing to do with slowing down graphics.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dwyloc Quote:
It would also seem that 3d speed has dropped at some point as the gl version of quake did not use to be as slow in one of the older 4.1 beta releases it is even unplayable at 640x480 for the second episode

I would be inclined to blame the (extremely old & buggy) GlQuake port, rather than OS4 itself. But a new (OpenGL) port of Quake 1 is being worked on, so fingers crossed we don't have to use software-rendering for too much longer!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
From a superficial look your monitor settings appear to be correct, and so (sadly) Dwylok's suspicious seem to be incorrect.

Quote:
MODE=1280X800@60
MODE=1280960@60
MODE=1280X1024
(FAKENATIVEMODES=YES)
INTERRUPT=YES

Did you manually write this into the post, rather than copying & pasting? Because I notice some typos there. Specifically "1280960@60" should be "1280x960@60", and "1280X1024" should be "1280X1024@60".

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »