Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS 4 depot software
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

First off, thanks to everyone posting their great software on OS4 Depot - even though I am not playing any of it I certainly may do in not so near future.

But I have something that really does irk me..... when it comes to submitting screenshots people post 1 or just don't bother - how does this inspire new users to get interested in what Amiga has to offer?

So all I ask is that developers of both games (and ports) and applications spend a little more time and show as many as possible of the graphics/user interface.

Whilst trawling through the games section there I found a game called LinCity - hmmm 120Mb+ download; the only scrap of information that told me it was modern and worth investigating further. So I clicked through... not one screenshot! Oh sure, give me a link to the official game developer web site - wow this game looks great and I didn't think there was modern games of that quality on the Amiga in 2010. But a link to a official game developer website just isn't enough because a) most computer users these days don't wanna click, link after link after link and b) by not including any screenshots you are not showcasing your hours, days and weeks of programming efforts and people don't download something just because its called MegaDeathUltimateBestGameEver2.0.lha.

Just a rant, but I think my point is valid.

On a lighter note, I often frequent 'the other two forums' I must say this is the best as it is very rare to see negative posters in fact the opposite is true so many positive posters with well-thought out constructive advice and criticism. Also its great to witness an explosion of interest in FireFox.. oops Timberwolf with the number of bug reports flooding in - sure gonna keep the Freiden brothers busy for months to come.

As you were.

Go to top
Re: OS 4 depot software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

i try to to my best i can uploading missing screenshots, i hate this too

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

The screen-shots feature of OS4Depot was added later, so the oldest archives does not have any.

One where annoying thing about OS4Depot is when you upload archives you are not allowed to added picture at once, you need to wait for archives to be accepted by administrators.

As a side effect, lazy developers don't upload pictures.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@djrikki

ehm.. LinCity has already a link in readme page..

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... game/board/lincity-ng.lha

you can find all screenshots there

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@afxgroup

True, but check out the graphics on http://lincity-ng.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page .... completely different game. Looks wicked... so which is the Amiga version representative of? The 80s game of the 00s game? Who knows.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@djrikki

what you mean for totally different? the graphics here is the same of the site. Did you expect something different?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Anyway, djrikki are right. It's better when every archive on os4depot will have screenshot. Users found something, the can check the screenshots right on os4depot, without jumping to other links and loose their time for founding screens on other sites

ps. i am always upload screenshots :) some time even too much :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

LinCity works well here, took the risk and downloaded a while back, nice to download and be able to run without getting extra data files etc as is often the case with ports. It's definately a game you have to learn and I still am very much a learner. Will upload a grab running on Workbench the in image album here or OS4depot if possible.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:

afxgroup wrote:
@djrikki

what you mean for totally different? the graphics here is the same of the site. Did you expect something different?

I think that the confusion is whether it's Lincity (which looks like the old SimCity), or Lincity-NG (which looks lik Simcity 2000).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Daniel

Cools look pretty good. I love SimCity and Settlers type games, I think they got coined as 'God' games when Populous came out - the birth of a new genre.

Talking of games, I've been playing Captive a lot recently through E-UAE - still a great playable game even 20 years later.

I remember owning Liberation on the CD32 and thinking 'this is so fail'. The sequel was just too ambitious and I never knew exactly where I was to go and what I was to. I think the best game I can recall playing on the CD32 was Microcosm it was just so unique even though I knew it was just simply a video playing with sprites on top - it did feel pretty special at the time.

Of course after Commodore's demise in 1994, '95 saw the release of Winblows 95 and that electronic giant that was best known for making Walkmans and Hi-Fi systems came from absolutely nowhere and just dominated the console market to this very day.

Ah a bit of a nostaligic moment there. ;-;

I digress back to the point I was trying to make.

I would love to see a modern remake of Captive or even Dungeon master - not more of this Doom clone crap which requires no strategy.

Go to top

Register To Post