Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

hi all
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My name is ron and i live in belgium since i was born in '67.
After i moved a year ago i found my old A1200-stuff and i left it in a corner in my new home. Recently i decided the time has come to dust it all off and try to get it up and running again.

To my surprise i found my A1200 stripped naked but with a Blizzard 603+ scsi, 160MhzPPC 68040 @ 25Mhz with 256mb ram, an ide-fix, keyboard-adaptor and a 2 catweasels ( 1 clockport and 1 zorro) wich are never even used. I must have ordered them and moved to other things at the time.

Also, all these goodies are in a big tower with psu and spraypainted in the commodore colours with a 2.4GB hd, a cd-rom and even the original floppy-drive with custom-made cover, all mounted in de tower.

The original WB disk are no longer in the goodiebag ( maybe i should look harder!)
Now i was wondering if i would order 3.1 roms and get WB3.9 or AmigaOs 4 classic. And maybe an indivision flicker/fixer.
Any suggestions here?

I browsed some forums and scenes and found out about Cf-adapters, pcmcia-networking, floppy-emulators, running virtual amigas on a pc and much more.

Since i am a newb again i got some strange negative reactions and little positive response to my questions on different forums or no answers at all.

It seems i need to google more and find out things for myself.

tx
Ron

Go to top
Re: hi all
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@demusse

why don't you but OS4 directly?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
not sure what you mean?

Ron

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@demusse

If you can speak french you can either connect to AmigaImpact.org we are very nice either to the Belgian Amiga Club website in order to find a friendly buddy near you that can help you for your coming back
Oh yesone last thing : welcome back to the only computer that worth it !

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@demusse
Hi and great that you have such pristine condition PPC laying around :). I'd recommend using OS 3.1-3.9 as your main OS and if you want to experiment, get & install AmigaOS 4.0 aswell (you'll want to get a graphics card). MorphOS is available too, i never installed that myself (yet).

If you want to have a tft/lcd -monitor for all screenmodes and use flicker-free screenmodes, get a scandoubler/flickerfixer. But if you want to go "old-school", just connect your miggy to a big TV with an Amiga-compatible RGB-scart cable.

Amiga - still alive & kickin'!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@demusse

Welcome to Amigans.net
Sounds like you have quite a nice system there. As to what you should install on it, I would suggest you hold off making any decision on that, until you have seen OS4 running.

I would suggest you try another amiga user near to you who has it or check out this excellent OS4 Video on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3q2wFIn6k
(Note that its running OS4.1 though, which is not available for the Classic Amiga machines) But its not that different to be honest.

Mikey C

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
tx for the response so far... and it's no different here than on the other forums i've noticed. google will remain my best friend...

Ron

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Or buy Sam Flex with os4.1

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@demusse

One of the best places to find upgrades for Amigas is at AmigaKit.com.

As far as the A1200 is concerned, it will run OS 4.0 for classics with the PowerPC card, but you'll at least want a 3.9 dual-boot to run the old software that isn't compatible with the new version of the operating system. You'll need Kickstart 3.1 to run either of them.

And welcome to Amigans.net!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

Didn't think 3.1 roms were needed for OS4 classic as it kicks into it's own software rom.

@demusse

I would personally reccomend them though and go for the duel boot 3.9/4 option.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
tx for the helpfull answers so far !

i'll google and visit some more friendly forums in order to try to make my 1200 sing a happy tune again. 3.1 roms are on the way and when i have some spare cash i'll get OS4

i'm emulating now for the first time via winuea and checking out classicwb and the likes. i'm hoping to set up a bigger hd this way and put it in the amiga so i can avoid the hasle of broken/unreadable disks and swapping them every few seconds.

Ron

Go to top

Register To Post