Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
209 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
SDL_Sound
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I need SDL_Sound with libmodplug support. Does it exist anywhere? Or is somebody working on it?

Go to top
Re: SDL_Sound
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes, but then I would still need SDL_Sound to be able to port a program using it.
Or I also have to port SDL_Sound myself, using this libmodplug, which I would like to avoid.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@phx

Yesterday evening, I noticed HunoPPC about this question. As he has ported many SDL games on OS4, he knows well the availability and the problems of these libraries. He could have a good advice. Else I am afraid nobody has already ported/used SDL_sound ...

I've just tried to compile SDL_sound this morning without the support of some audio formats but it still stops linking playsound. At the moment, I don't know why ...

Edited by corto on 2010/3/14 10:59:44
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

corto wrote:
Yesterday evening, I noticed HunoPPC about this question. As he has ported many SDL games on OS4, he knows well the availability and the problems of these libraries. He could have a good advice. Else I am afraid nobody has already ported/used SDL_sound ...

Thanks. That's what I feared.
I didn't expect to find SDL for OS4 in such a sad state after so many years. :(

Quote:

I've just tried to compile SDL_sound this morning without the support of some audio formats but it still stops linking playsound. At the moment, I don't know why ...

Thanks for the try. Much appreciated.
Maybe have a look at the error message? ;)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@phx

i have sdl_sound ported here... i got it from toaks some years ago,
but i promised not to spread it. :/ i have done a couple of ports with it.
it shouldn't be that hard to port though.
haha and regarding os4 sdl being in a sad state because a third party library ain't ported, that is seldomly used, come on!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
and about the linking errors, that's probably because you have the libraries in wrong order, paste the error message.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

Btw, it is sad that you have that library since some year now, and all the coders outthere that would like to do something with sdl haven't.. moreover is true that sdl on os4 is crappy.. like many other things on os4.. what is sad is that the -some- programmers don't offer you any help when you try to do something and they complain about the fact the people doesn't start programming too..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nubechecorre

the reason i can't spread it is because i didn't port it, i got it from toaks and promised him not to spread it, as he didn't remember where he got it from, and didn't want to publish someone else's work.
i always upload my ported libs... i was only trying to help out here, but whatever... whine on. i honestly don't care anymore.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

spotUP wrote:
i have sdl_sound ported here... i got it from toaks some years ago,
but i promised not to spread it. :/ i have done a couple of ports with it.

Then it's not a shared object, which I would prefer.

Quote:

it shouldn't be that hard to port though.

No, of couse it isn't. But I don't have the time to do everything myself when just doing a simple port.

Quote:

haha and regarding os4 sdl being in a sad state because a third party library ain't ported, that is seldomly used, come on!

Unfortunately it's not just SDL_sound, but everything. There is now a clean port of the main library from H.J.-Frieden and Peter Gordon, but you have to collect the rest from multiple sources (with different quality and compatibility). Some support shared objects, some do not.

There should be one source and one development team for SDL on OS4.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@phx

there is. i am running an amiupdate sdk repository, it has all the third party libs and it installs it for you.

whining about stuff doesn't work here, there are to few good men around.
if you want something done here, you have to rely on yourself, ask questions, get knowledge, do stuff on your own. that's what i always did.
you are pretty much on your own, and that is part of the fun.
the people in #amigadev always helped me out when i had questions.
whining is not gonna get you any answers. be constructive, do stuff. that will get you somewhere. whining in a negative way on a public forum will not.

phx, don't take this post too personal, it's more meant like a general tip.

ps. what was not clean with the other port from evil rich? it always worked for me. it's nice to see sdl being updated again though, and it is not perfect, but it works for most things.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

there is. i am running an amiupdate sdk repository, it has all the third party libs and it installs it for you.

URL?

Quote:
whining about stuff doesn't work here, there are to few good men around.
if you want something done here, you have to rely on yourself, ask questions, get knowledge, do stuff on your own. that's what i always did.
you are pretty much on your own, and that is part of the fun.

You don't have to tell me that. The problem is that I'm doing too much myself (I even wrote my own compilers, linkers and assemblers ;).
Just wanted to make sure if somebody else already did the work.

Quote:

ps. what was not clean with the other port from evil rich? it always worked for me. it's nice to see sdl being updated again though, and it is not perfect, but it works for most things.

I didn't really test it, because I guess it is obsoleted by the new (semi-official) SDL port where the Friedens are involved. And it doesn't use shared objects.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@phx

i dont have the url in my head atm, maybe someone else has it?
if you have the sdk installed and install amiupdate it should ask you if you want to use the sdk database i think.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@phx

Quote:

URL?

From my AmiUpdate tooltypes:
SERVER = www.amiupdate.net|www.amiupdate.net/SdkServer

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

My post wasn't against you i was only pointing out that actually there is not so much help.. btw, as said before that's not your fault

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@phx

I know you do so much for us that even if I have my own projects, I tried to save you some time.
I failed having these errors :
gcc --O2 -I/SDK/local/newlib/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=-o playsound playsound-playsound.
playsound
-physfsrwops.-use-dynld  ../.libs/libSDL_sound.-L/SDK/local/newlib/lib 
/SDK/local/newlib/lib/.libs/libSDL.so -lGL -lGLU -lauto -lm  
../.libs/libSDL_sound.a(SDL_sound.o):(.data+0x4): 
undefined reference to `__Sound_DecoderFunctions_MPGLIB'
../.libs/libSDL_sound.a(SDL_sound.o):(.data+0xc): 
undefined reference to 
`__Sound_DecoderFunctions_AIFF'
gmake[2]: *** [playsound] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/Corto/sources/SDL_sound-1.0.3/playsound'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursiveError 1
gmake
[1]: Leaving directory `/Corto/sources/SDL_sound-1.0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Ok ... I've just succeeded in compiling playsound adding manually :

../decoders/.libs/libdecoders.a ../decoders/mpglib/.libs/libmpglib.a

I tried 3 mp3 files and two failed with an error. The third one works well !

I can send you these files if you want.

Which formats do you need to be supported ? I see that in the configure log, libmodplug was rejected because the built test program does not compile because of C++ stuff ... I suppose it is not compiled with the good options. I try manually.

Edited by corto on 2010/3/15 19:50:46
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@phx

what are you working on btw?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I hope we will find a satisfying solution, ending with an upload of SDL_sound on OS4 in a first time.

I fully agree we should centralize SDL libs. This seems to be the only way to reach a good quality (with bugtracking) and guarantee libs availability to developers for a better efficiency.

About SDL_sound, the build seems to be half broken. I had to compile playsound manually and this one ... link GL libs by default (hum ... maybe due to SDL config ?).

Great ! I am playing a module with playsound, the test program compiled with the SDL_sound sources.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
A new post again ...

How to compile SDL_sound 1.0.3

Download and install libmodplug from : http://os4depot.net/share/development/library/audio/libmodplug.lha
Download and unpack sources from : http://icculus.org/SDL_sound/downloads/SDL_sound-1.0.3.tar.gz

Then, in SDL_sound-1.0.3/ :

sh

./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-sdltest --disable-wav --disable-raw --disable-au --disable-shn --disable-voc --disable-midi

exit

In config.h, set manually :
#define SOUND_SUPPORTS_MODPLUG 1

make

Compilation hangs, so go into playsound/ and run these commands if you want final executable :

g++ -g -O2 -I/SDK/local/newlib/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -o playsound playsound-playsound.o playsound-physfsrwops.o -use-dynld ../.libs/libSDL_sound.a ../decoders/.libs/libdecoders.a ../decoders/mpglib/.libs/libmpglib.a -L/SDK/local/newlib/lib /SDK/local/newlib/lib/.libs/libSDL.so -lmodplug -lauto -lm

g++ -g -O2 -I/SDK/local/newlib/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -o playsound_simple playsound_simple.o -use-dynld ../.libs/libSDL_sound.a ../decoders/.libs/libdecoders.a ../decoders/mpglib/.libs/libmpglib.a ../.libs/libSDL_sound.a -L/SDK/local/newlib/lib /SDK/local/newlib/lib/.libs/libSDL.so -lmodplug -lauto -lm

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@corto

I knew you would take this challenge for you

Great work as usual

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top

Register To Post