Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

sailor, bigmac, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: New version of SketchBlock available.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues:

And theres another issue... obviously you missed to "bumprev by hand" the sketchblock executable, Update constantly reports that the remote version is 1.8 (05.12.2012), where the local version is 1.8 (21.11.2012). If I do a "version Sketchblock FULL" after the update, it reports the date 21.11.2012.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
Quote:

I'm working towards a convention where pressing ESC quits the current script plugin, or if it has a GUI, both ESC or the Close button.

Maybe going from another side: not need to add option for all the wedges, but instead, add "auto remove" code in the code of scripts itself. By this way does not matter how hard/vary srcipt/widge will be, you just add auto-remove into the script itself.

Because in general, when you choice any script, do something, and press "ok", then, its time to autoremove it. If anyone will want, he always can use ctrl+z to remove what is done on sketch area, and repeat steps again (i.e. the same as in all other painters everythere).

Or at least autoremove them when user choice any painter plugin: like we draw a filled box, and then trying to draw something - have no luck (and have somethere indication that we still in filled-box), then user press on the "paint" tool, and widge autoremoves as well.

What i mean, is that any manual action when you already finish with widge will be a bit annoing and un-intuitive, and will be not so matter if it pressing on "esc", or choicing in menu "remove widge".

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
whose wrote:
@broadblues:

And theres another issue... obviously you missed to "bumprev by hand" the sketchblock executable, Update constantly reports that the remote version is 1.8 (05.12.2012), where the local version is 1.8 (21.11.2012). If I do a "version Sketchblock FULL" after the update, it reports the date 21.11.2012.
Yeah, I noticed that too. While we're at it, how about adding the obligate "About..." item in the project menu? That would be a nice place to see the version (etc.) without having to run Version.

Otherwise ... coming along rather nicely indeed!

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that too. While we're at it, how about adding the obligate "About..." item in the project menu? That would be a nice place to see the version (etc.) without having to run Version.

Yeah, About has been on the todo list since version 1.1 but I keep forgetting about it...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@whose

There a small piece of code missing from my build system which is supposed to update the date every time I build, first time I've relealised it wasn't happening.

Will sort that...

I'll leave the amiupdate database as it is as, somepeople may have the build that was built on the earlier date. You can always ignore the update once you've installed it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

All script plugins are different, so whilst ideally you should always be able to remove a plugin from within that plugin, it doesn't make sense for them to autoremove after a single action.

For comparison think of the rectangle tool in PPaint / DPaint and similar, do you expet that to revert to an ordinary paint after the first rectangle has been drawn?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie

Quote:

Speaking of improving user experience: have you possibly thought of using tabbed palettes in a single toolbox window, instead of several floating windows? What I mean is that you could do with one toolbox window in which the Sketch Tools and Layers palettes would be accessible from tabs. This would reduce screen clutter.

I'm thinking of merging the two windows by default at the moment. Although I do like the setup I have in GIMP with one window on each side the workspace in the middle, andhiding / revealing the tool windows as required.

I dont really want to use tabs but will have to eventualy to get everything in!

I'd like to create a xml defined set of widows, that allows the individual users to define what windows they need and what to put in each. That's a way of yet though.

My idea is that SketchBlock should be customisable for different types of task, and that people could share their layouts. Somone doing animation might want a different setup to someone painting large pictuires, or someone who simply wants to retouch the odd photo.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

Although I do like the setup I have in GIMP with one window on each side the workspace in the middle, and hiding / revealing the tool windows as required.

It takes all sorts I suppose. For example, the many tool windows as used, for example, in OctaMED, PageStream or GIMP always put me off, while I really got on very well with Adobe's tabbed palettes.

Quote:

I'd like to create a xml defined set of widows, that allows the individual users to define what windows they need and what to put in each. That's a way of yet though.

My idea is that SketchBlock should be customisable for different types of task, and that people could share their layouts. Somone doing animation might want a different setup to someone painting large pictuires, or someone who simply wants to retouch the odd photo.

That's a really nice idea! This is what I like about Cubase: I can have a different GUI setup for mixing (multi-track, with virtual instruments, send/insert FX and all) and for mastering (one stereo track, with FX on the master bus only).

SketchBlock could have a directory for "GUI templates", in which XML/PrefsObjects files would be stored, each defining a particular GUI setup. Easy to implement.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
Quote:

it doesn't make sense for them to autoremove after a single action.

Indeed. So, maybe add autoremoving when user choice anything else ? I.e. you choice filled box, and works with it how much you want. But when, you choice _any_ other plugin/widge/doesnotmatter what, then previous one autoremoves (and that will be imho logical?). I.e. at the begining of every single script add removing of any previous one.

Quote:

For comparison think of the rectangle tool in PPaint / DPaint and similar, do you expet that to revert to an ordinary paint after the first rectangle has been drawn?

Well nope, but user also do not expect that he will need manually to switch it off, when he press on any other tool.

Imho, the best way will be remove previous one when user choice anything new.

I.e. like in any other painter : you choice anything, and works with it. Once you choice anything else, you works with new stuff, and previous one already forgotten.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:

I.e. at the begining of every single script add removing of any previous one.

That allready happens. There can only be one script plugin running at a time, starting a new one automatically removes the old one. A "REMOVED" message is sent to the old script which should then cleanup.

A very advance script such as a replacement GUI migt choose to overide that but nothing I've written so far does that.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Is there any way of running Sketchblock on its own screen? If not, could you please add it? It overfills my WB screen making it impossible to do anything with WB whilst Sketchblock is running (especially with two "always on top" toolbar windows taking up 1/3 of the screen!)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can define a PUBSCREEN in Sketchblocks's tooltypes. Define this screen in Screen prefs, make it "auto-open", voilá.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@cha05e90

Thanks, actually it's already defined in ToolTypes so I just needed to add the screen.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I'd like to create a xml defined set of widows, that allows the individual users to define what windows they need and what to put in each

This would be awesome!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

virgola wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to create a xml defined set of widows, that allows the individual users to define what windows they need and what to put in each

This would be awesome!

+1, would be cool.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

I've noticed that apart from the debug output, the latest version of SketchBlock also produces quite a few MemGuard hits when it starts and quits. Apparently there are some offending AllocPooled() and AllocVecTags() calls. I assume you're already aware of this?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
Quote:

I've noticed that apart from the debug output, the latest version of SketchBlock also produces quite a few MemGuard hits when it starts and quits. Apparently there are some offending AllocPooled() and AllocVecTags() calls. I assume you're already aware of this?

Debug output I'm aware of. Memory issues I wasn't.

I'll have to investigate.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie

I only see hits for AllocPooled() SketchBlock doesn't make any explicit calls to AllocVecTags()

They all stem from one line of code...

if((ab->ab_Buffers Allocmem(sizeof (ARGB *) * ab->ab_Frames ,MEMF_PRIVATE MEMF_CLEAR)))

Spot the deliberate error

Fixed now...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

SketchBlock doesn't make any explicit calls to AllocVecTags()

You are right, this was an oversight - the AllocVecTags() hit came from a different program running at the same time.

Quote:

Fixed now...

Great!

The Rear Window blog

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)