Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: NPAPI general support ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
That's the reason why we told you to switch to MUi
The "GUI" you'd have got in the AmigaOS 4.x OWB if unusable crap like MUI would have been the only option is still on os4depot http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... rk/browser/owb_static.lha

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

In this previous post you said a lot of interesting things and all of them seems to me like good idea to boost up OWB !!

Why don't you do so ?, why don't you switch to mui ? you are a great programmer !!

Quote:

Because it's a complete browser, unlike OWB which doesn't even have a toolbar (in the SDL, GTK and Qt versions).

The WebKit engine used by OWB is of course much better than the one of IBrowse and it's impossible to add all features of WebKit or Gecko to the IBrowse engine, but adding the missing features (DOM, CSS and IFrames) to get 99% of the pages working correctly again in IBrowse is very likely less work than implementing an AmigaOS 4.x browser around OWB.

Another option would be to throw away the IBrowse engine and replace it by WebKit or Gecko, for example just using the IBrowse GUI and network functions (in which the only important missing feature is AFAIK HTTP/1.1 persistent connections) with WebKit as engine, which should be quite easy if you use OWB instead of WebKit directly, would be a much better browser than OWB. It would have a disk cache, working cookie support, cookie manager, download manager, support for HTTP authentication with password manager and a lot of other features OWB doesn't have, and wont get for years.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre
@joerg

I hate MUI

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@nubechecorre

because is hard for only one developer to do all..
The cause of our slowdown is caused by this
We should try to join all developers
Is not possible continue to work always alone even if one is a great developer like Joerg

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

I agree.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@afxgroup

Not to mention MUI is developing on MOS but not on OS4 at the moment but if that were to happen wouldn't it make more sense to integrate with the latest MUI (rather than 3.9 on OS4.1).

Joerg
Please keep going and don't take any of these suggestions as criticism, I periodically check out the official OWB site and they make mention we are the only ones with some sort of "GUI" which is obviously a big plus for us and their development team. From my perspective you are tackling this in the correct way, get the engine working then add the body, although I admit your comments on a "merger" with iBrowse is very intriguing and gives rise to the question "what body".

All
Come on chaps back off, the rate of improvements is incredible, most reports to date are about "I can't get this site" not "don't look pretty". As stated we have precious few coders who do incredible things, don't ruin it by alienating them.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Futaura

Quote:

Futaura wrote:
Another major deciding factor is that we still need to sort out the distribution mess which has not changed at all since IOSPIRIT closed - this has to be sorted out with Stefan if we are ever to move forward .

It can't be that hard to find a company to distribute IBrowse if the will is there. Both AmigaKit and apc-tcp have offered to do so.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:
Why don't you do so ?
I can't do it since I don't have the IBrowse sources, the IBrowse developers would have to do it, the sources of OWB are on the sand-labs SVN.
But even if I would have the IBrowse sources I wouldn't do it because IBrowse uses MUI.

Quote:
why don't you switch to mui ? you are a great programmer !!
Although it's possible to create halfway usable programs even with MUI it's way too much work to work around it's bugs and design flaws. Additionally MUI has too few features, for example tabs wouldn't have been possible if I would have used MUI, it's clicktab gadget doesn't support dynamically adding and removing tabs.
If MUI would have been the only option I wouldn't have created an AmigaOS 4.x port of OWB at all.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Ok thanks for the infos

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Monoxyde

Quote:

Monoxyde wrote:

It can't be that hard to find a company to distribute IBrowse if the will is there. Both AmigaKit and apc-tcp have offered to do so.

Indeed. That's not the problem - the problem is trying to get Stefan to do something about it. IBrowse is Stefan's property after all, and right now he is ultimately the only one who can take such decisions and sign contracts, etc.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)