Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 90

Raziel, smarkusg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Roadshow
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@olsen

Thanks for the clarification regarding the IP ranges..

Quote:

olsen wrote:

- It's sometimes useful to reduce the default MTU value if you know that traffic to leave your network will always have to squeeze through a gateway which limits the size of the packets. An example is the PPPoE protocol which is widely used for ADSL services in Europe. PPPoE limits packet size to 1492 bytes payload. If you limit the MTU value in your network clients, it may mean that there will be less friction since converting between the packets that go into the router and have to come out, chopped into smaller units. Chopping up the packets in transit may result in extra traffic since some packets cannot be conveniently broken into smaller units and will have to retransmitted. This "optimization" through MTU limits may, however, accomplish nothing tangible.

hmm .. i really didn't say that a reduced MTU might not make any sense at all .. in fact i wrote exactly that 1500 is default for ethernet, but one might tinker with the MTU in certain situations, like DSL/PPPoE <= 1492. What did you say different than me? [/quote]

Your original comment asked the rhetorical question "why that funny MTU value?". I tried to give a bit of background as to why it could be useful, and that in practice it often has no discernable effect.[/quote]

My original comment was:

Quote:

- Why such a strange MTU value? For Ethernet the MTU is 1500 (for gigabit ethernet its actually up to 9000, but that isn't supported yet). Thats also true if you access the Internet through a router. Only if you are directly connected to the Internet with your Amiga (e.g. through PPPoE), you might have to worry about the MTU value and set it to something below 1492 for DSL.. but even that would Roadshow do for you with the Wizard..

So, yes, i started with "Why such a strange MTU" but then said basically the same as you did.. i just wondered why he didn't use 1492 for his setup if on DSL or 1500 if in a LAN behind a router .. anyway, i think we have a consense

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi all,
Can someone tell me what they had to setup for internet connection with IBrowse after they installed OS4.1? Page 18 of QuickStart Guide is kind of vague on details. Doesn't there have to be some IBrowse Assigns in User Startup in order for the browser to function with AmiSSL? Or, it's ready to go out of the box? Cold connections, cold browser, cold OS. Well, it's definetly winter here!

@Osen & Cyborg
My ATT DSL connection still is in limbo, but talking to ATT Tech Support revealed some answers. I still bang away at the keyboard on my head! Can't access the router because the phone line needs the Modem Acess Code first, then the router. A DHCP client gave me 192.168.1.100 lease, but still couldn't access the router 198.168.1.1. I'm still working on the 'bridge-over-modem' connection.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Did you get a router as Olsen suggested? I will be disappointed to learn that you did and still can't access AT&T DSL. I'm supposed to take delivery of a gateway router today.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@swoodall Quote:
Sounds like maybe just a bad port on the hub.

We discovered at North Amiga Thames that my Sam440 does not like an old Hub we have (no network connectivity at all, not ping or anything), yet the same Hub works fine with other Amigas (inc OS4.1 on A1).

Switching to a different Hub solved the problem.

Conclusion was that this old Hub probably used 10Mbit only or maybe half-duplex or something like that, and the Sam ethernet driver was not able to handle that.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:
Doesn't there have to be some IBrowse Assigns in User Startup in order for the browser to function with AmiSSL? Or, it's ready to go out of the box?

No assigns required, works right out of the box.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all
This is my first post from my Sam. I was able to connect after replacing my hub with a router, as suggested by Olsen. The post from sundown reassured me that I wasn't going crazy. My computer guru, who is definitely not an Amiga lover thought I was crazy. I took Cyborg's advice and started over with the New Connection procedure. I still have some configuration issues, which I think getting to know more about my router will clear up. To Snuffy I recommend getting a router. I bought a Linksys Cable/DSL Router, Model No. BEFSR81. Lastly, I thank Slayer for helping me out in the beginning. Scott Woodall's comments were also helpful. Thanks to everyone.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Getting a router is good move nowadays, having multiple computers online is pretty common.
I would advice to avoid m setups where modem-router is used as modem and router simultaneously.
Here the modem is supplied by the connection provider (not the ISP, but local telecom company).
I had (pretty bitter) experience where I tried the modem-router supplied instead of of separate modem that worked before that with separate router (until the supplied modem went bananas and they suggested to get combined device as a bonus + the having wireless functionality) .
I thought using one evice instead of 2 will reduce clutter but proved non functional when connecting 3 computers (slow LAN or bad QOS when uploading, depending on the model of the device).
Switching back to separate modem and router restored the functionality. The router btw is "Level One" and works great. Not too expnsive and according to the local internet support the specific brand is very good.
The dsl dialing can be done via modem or via router. The former allows monitoring of DSL connection parameters.
But connecting then through modem directly worked here as well.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@olsen+Cyborg+any other networking guru

When booting to Linux I'll get usually "no active lease" messages. And I'll get this: "The address assignment request for interface "eth3com" was rejected by the server. The configuration process will restart shortly." when booting into AOS4.x. I tried to google that "active lease" and couldn't find much info. It has something to do with modem/switch/router ? Do anybody know how to get rid of those messages or are there anything to do ? Or at least is it possible to redirect that message to a file or nil: on Amiga side ? It's annoying because that message is printed in "output" window of WB. (Telewell modem/switch.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Any additional info? Is the switch set up as dhcp server with fixed or automatic mapping?
If automatic: try to make it fixed in dhcp config and leave the dhcp on AOS side (afaiu, A1 is set up with an automatic IP)
You can try to see it's logs (might need explicit re configuraton to create the logs).
Try to locate the MAC address of your network card in the logs.

And paste here the interface config file from AOS.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

I forgot to answer here. But I didn't find anything "mapping" related from the modem. I don't remember if there was any logs either. But I got a new modem from a friend two days ago and I don't get those messages with this new modem (A-link) anymore.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Fixed mapping is in dhcp server's setup. Certain IP's outside the range of the IPs for lease are associated with certain MAC addresses. So the result is when certain network interface that has a fixed mapping goes online, it'll receiiiiive the same IP adderess.
I find it very comfortable (printer and nfs/samba shares sport constant IP adresses, while internally everyone obtains the IP atuomatically).
Loging is in some setups is off by default and needs to be switched on.
Some problems can be traced down in the logs (for example to see if certain MAC address requested an IP from the server and what was the outcome)/

Resized Image
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Jack

I had (pretty bitter) experience where I tried the modem-router supplied instead of of separate modem that worked before that with separate router (until the supplied modem went bananas...
ATT supplied the DSL modem by Motorola here; and I went bananas! =:o My problem right now is the facility firewall protocols or at least what I think is the snag.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)