Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

trixie, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne X5K & MorphOS & Dual Boot... Oh My!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Lions & Tigers & Bears... Oh My!

I mean...

AmigaOne X5K & MorphOS & Dual Boot... Oh My!

This is stage 1 of my efforts to make my AmigaOne X5K boot both the Amiga OS 4.1 and MorphOS 3.18.

This is the 1st video about my plans, my system, some peaks inside, and 1st boot (from MorphOS Installer USB Stick) after installing a 2nd Video Card in my X5000.

Long video but hope some find it fun!

https://youtu.be/ZpwUkdsYGpU

2nd video of the final product!

Edited by AmigaSociety on 2024/1/13 23:34:48
Go to top
Re: AmigaOne X5K & MorphOS & Dual Boot... Oh My!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'll be watching. I want to know how you like MorphOS compared to OS4 and how it runs on your x5000. I have MorphOS on a G5 Mac at 1.8 ghz and not sure if I should bother trying to run in on my X5000/40.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@livebyfaith74

Just installed it yesterday onto my hard drive. Took some coaxing to get that done. Think install on a dual-boot takes some voodoo and help from others like @skateman to get it done. Manually partitioning the drives seemed to be a point of contention but finally, I think by some luck, some good advice from @skateman, and me trying to throw all things at it approach, one finally stuck. haha.

But now that I have it on there and a 1920x1080 rez after that was an issue, I will explore it some.

What I can say is, limited testing, Wayfarer is a nicer browser for internet AND my limited testing of Google services worked. I could do my google mail, google drive, and launch my calendar. All slow compared to a linux or Mac but it did work. My X5K using Amiga OS and Odyssey just plain could not work with those google services. Therefore, out of the box, that is nice!

Also, out of the box, I could access my smb based NAS from MorphOS 3.18 and grab a file from it. I recall I tried that on Amiga OS 2 years ago and could not get past installing the app that added that and could not get that to work. In MorphOS, it just worked.. SLOWLY but worked.

That 300mb file took 7 minutes so could be my old Nas or maybe speed of ethernet on my X5K?

Anyway, so far it seems nice.

TJ

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yeah,
I like Wayfarer as well, but it is just too slow to be useful for me on my G5. Iris is a nice modern looking email client for MorphOS as well.

IBrowse and Odyssey can get most of the Amiga related sites for me. And Odyssey works for me to use Outlook, Facebook, and Youtube to an extent. It even does gmail too, but google keeps giving a message that they will end support next month in February.

So far I have been enjoying OS4 so much on my x5000, I have lost much interest in trying Morphos on it. (partially from fear I could ruin my setup for OS4!)

I was able to get SMB set up eventually in OS4, but it was not as easy as Windows or Mac. So I would like to see that made a little easier too.

I look forward to your next videos of your experience.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The Finish (or is it really the Starting) Line of my AmigaOne X5000 Dual Boot Computer, booting Amiga OS 4.1 and MorphOS 3.18 for the (kind of) First Time.
My guess this is really just the Starting Line for me as MorphOS looks quite nice!

Adding a 2nd video rather than start a 2nd thread.

Dual Boot now up and running from internal drives and I chat about the process.

Hope you enjoy!

TJ

AmigaOne Tabor
AmigaOne X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmigaSociety

Hi TJ. Enjoying watching your experiences with your X5000. Seeing MorphOS in action on it is intresting. I've read all the good thing about the Wayfair browser and it was intresting to see it in action. Seems it does have a site compatability advantage over Odyssey, but boy is it slow. Maybe you'll discover ways to speed it up. Anyway, it's intresting to see it. Thanks.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

My 1st point of interest is YouTube and playback. Pretty sure I have seen others play YouTube so may be a setting thing or ??

Anyway, thanks for checking out my video. Onwards and upwards for me exploring more of MOS 3.18.

tj

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Good follow up video. It looks like your X5000 runs wayfarer a little bit better than my G5 does. SO far I have had better luck with youtube in OS4 on odyssey, than with Wayfarer on MorphOS.

Have you tried the Chrysalis pack? It is a collection of extras you can download for it.

Go to top

Register To Post