Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

K-L, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »
Re: Pegasos2 with RadeonHD/RX via bridge
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Question is : why os4 apps such as ranger and sysmon didnt see card ? I assume if it issues with BARs we still should see it as hardware with wrong memory regions,etc, right ? Or issues with bars can be resulted with os4 not see card as hardware at all ?
In AmigaOS 4.x kernels only supporting 32 bit PCI, like the Pegasos2 one, 64 bit BARs don't exist at at all, nothing, incl. drivers and tools like Ranger, can access it.
In your dump_all_with_bridge_and_radeonhd.txt for the PCI->PCIe bridge there is "xp6" in reg and assigned-addresses. I don't know what "xp6" is, but since for memory BARs "x" is 64 bit and "m" is 32 bit it may be something 64 bit related, and therefore not supported by the kernel, as well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I think that Ranger just lists the PCI devices which are reported by the system.
The pegasos has two bridges. That results in two busses. Ranger reports my RX 560 just fine behind the AGP bridge. With the assumption that you already use the PCIe power inserter, it looks like the kernel is not able to scan behind your 8112. Maybe you have better luck with the pericom bridge. This was also the key to get those HD cards working on a sam440.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:
I think that Ranger just lists the PCI devices which are reported by the system.
Yes, it just displays what the AmigaOS 4.x kernel found and added to the expansion.library lists, it doesn't include own PCI(e) hardware scanning code.

Quote:
The pegasos has two bridges. That results in two busses.
Unless I understood something wrong the Marvell has no bridges, just 2 PCI busses.
The Articia-S (MAI Teron CX/PX/Mini PReP reference/evaluation boards, AmigaOne SE/XE/µA1, and Pegasos1) has 2 busses as well (first one, 0.0.0, directly connected to the onboard ethernet chip, the VIA southbridge incl. PATA, USB, etc. and the 3 PCI33 slots, 0.6.x-0.A.x), but the other one (0.1.0) uses an internal PCI-to-PCI bridge for the AGP and PCI66 slots (1.0.x + 1.1.x).

Edited by joerg on 2023/7/25 17:50:53
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg,geennaam
So that prove my troughs that if issue with 64/32bit BARs still there, then OS4 kernel (and so all the apps using OS calls), can't see a shit :)

But then, RadeonHD have both video and audio parts. And still, in the Ranger/SysMon it not only didn't list video part (which is 64bit, so ok, understandable), but also hd-audio. It didn't show anything, like, bridge is empty.

From another side, probably we do have good news anyway : OF itself
see both bridge, and RadeonHD in, so it's OS4 issue.

@geennaam
Btw, is it possible to boot QEMU with pass through card attached, but display over something else, and to test to boot with BBOOT and AmigaBoot.of , to see, if Ranger will show pass through card attached at all with AmigaBoot.of and / or Bboot.

I.e. if amigaboot.of booting will show nothing about card in Ranger, but BBOOT booting will show it, then it will mean that on real pegasos2 we still have issues with 32vs64bit BARs things left.

@all
Maybe worth to try to boot with Morphos and Linux ? To see what they tell, about, etc. ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
Quote:

Unless I understood something wrong the Marvell has no bridges, just 2 PCI busses.
The Articia-S (MAI Teron CX/PX/Mini PReP reference/evaluation boards, AmigaOne SE/XE/µA1, and Pegasos1) has 2 busses as well (first one, 0.0.0, directly connected to the onboard ethernet chip, the VIA southbridge incl. PATA, USB, etc. and the 3 PCI33 slots, 0.6.x-0.A.x), but the other one (0.1.0) uses an internal PCI-to-PCI bridge for the AGP and PCI66 slots (1.0.x + 1.1.x).

At least in Ranger on Peg2 i do have many labels as bridges (which can be just name-labeling of course). That how it looks like:

Resized Image

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

amigaboot.of:
- RX 560 is detected by Ranger
- Only BAR4 and BAR5 are visible in Ranger.
- RadeonRX driver was removed from kicklayout because driver will fail due to missing BARs

bboot 0.4:
- RX 560 is detected by Ranger
- BAR0, BAR2, BAR4 and BAR5 are visible in Ranger.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam
So, card detected by randger with both amigaboot.of and bboot.. What did it mean then .. That on real pegasos2 something else should be done about ?

Maybe that the result of differences to be "behind bridge" and "as it" ?

Btw, when you say:

Quote:

With the assumption that you already use the PCIe power inserter, it looks like the kernel is not able to scan behind your 8112.

Currently, i do not have power adapter (it will arrive tomorrow), but then, if it was power issue, it shouldn't be seen in OF too ? Or os4 kernel doing something like check if not enough power somewhere, then not add this device to the list of devices even if they work in OF" ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I was only talking about host bridges.

Everything starting with 00 is part of the PCI bus.

Everything starting with 02 is part of the AGP bus.

Somehow the AGP bus on QEMU starts with 01. But I guess this doesn't matter.

Here's a screenshot of Ranger on QEMU with the RX560 connected to the "AGP" bus.

Resized Image

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

On QEMU, every VFIO device is passed through without any bridge that might be in the host system. So the VFIO GPU is directly attached to a host bridge within of the emulated Pegasos2 as you can see in the screenshot above.

On a real Pegasos2, a bridge in between is seen by the system. So if the kernel has an issue with scanning behind bridges then you are out of luck.

But let's not draw any conclusions until you have tried a power inserter and the pericom bridge.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@geennaam, @kas1e
You're trying to find problems with omitting important information so it's hard to debug this way. We now have BBoot and firmware output from real pegasos2 and found that pegasos2 firmware sees the card but we also know that pegaosos2 AmigaOS kernel won't see 64 bit bars so BBoot tries to change those to 32 bit BARs (this is when you get Truncared 64 bit BAR message). BBoot currently doesn't go down in the bridge so it won't do that for the card behind the brige, I'll need to find out how to do that. To see what AmigaOS sees from all this a debug log with kernel.debug and some higher loglevel where the [ScanDevice] or what it's called messages are logged could help to see where it fails.

@geennaam just posts way too little info to even follow what happens. I'm not even sure which cards he's testing and if they work or not so I'll just let you figure this out alone unless you can give more details. The difference in that case is if you boot with -kernel bboot then bboot will configure PCI devices so it will assign addresses and fix BARs itself and additionally it will also fix unset interrupts. All these fixes are logged in the BBoot output but since you haven't posted those I can't tell what it did. BBoot still could not handle a bridge in this config but since you're only passing through the card and not the bridge it also does not have to as the bridge is handled on the host. To get the same config as @kas1e one could pass through the bridge and use -bios pegasos2 firmware which would emulate what happens on real hardware more closely. Doing that and getting info mtree and info pci after AmigaOS boots might give some more info on what's set up and what may be missing.

I hope tha above makes sense, please read it multiple times if not clear for the first read as I don't have time to explain it in more detail. I'll look at extending BBoot to handle bridges but that would take a while.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:
So if the kernel has an issue with scanning behind bridges then you are out of luck.
I doubt it even tries to do anything like that, the kernel just uses whatever it gets from the firmware (U-Boot, CFE, SmartFirmware).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:

On a real Pegasos2, a bridge in between is seen by the system. So if the kernel has an issue with scanning behind bridges then you are out of luck.

Does the card connected to the bridge show up in Ranger just missing BARs? If so it's probably a problem with 64 bit BARs. If it does not even show up then it's a problem with bridge. The AmigaOS log would give some more details on this with high enough log level. I've found the max you can go is 9, above that it would crash on bad debug code but maybe less is enough to get logs about device scanning as in higher levels memory management logs are too verbose and make too much noise. Experiment to find a level that doesn't have too much logs but still show [ScanDevice} messages.

Quote:

But let's not draw any conclusions until you have tried a power inserter and the pericom bridge.

It's unlikely to be a power problem if the Driver doesn't even talk to the card. One other thins that could cause problem if the card ROM needs to run and I'm not sure pegasos2 firmware does that for cards behind a bridge but I also don't know how to find that out. If you connect the card to QEMU with pass through and get errors from firmware when running BIOS then if you connect the same card on real pegasosII with briege I think you should see the same errors so that could confirm if the BIOS runs or not.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@balaton
Ok will try increase debug level of kernel (i am currently on debug kernel level 1 always).

Quote:

Does the card connected to the bridge show up in Ranger just missing BARs?

If you mean real pegasos2, then it show no video card at all, be it running with bboot or with amigaboot.of

BTW, should to add , that i am not running any HD driver currently, all i do is via bridge connected RadeonHD card, and then boot pegasos2 over radeon9250 sitting on AGP, to see if Ranger see video card at all. So we even didn't reach a point that kernel see a hardware, so probabaly to early to worry about RadeonHD driver at all (just asking as may miss something)

@joerg
Did you aware of what kind of debug level for debug kernel i need to set, so to have some important bits from the kernel as of when it starts to scan devices, why it failed, etc. ? DebugLevel 3 should be enough imho ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton

kas1e is testing on a real Pegasos 2. I am testing on QEMU with pass-through

Tried to pass-through the host bridge but that doesn't work. I cannot attach a VFIO kernel driver to the host bridge. So it looks like that you can only pass through endpoints. I do not have regular PCI slots in my system. So an External PCI to PCIe bridge like kas1e is using is also not possible for me.
And cascading bridges (pcie to pci + pci to pcie) is a bit too much.

If 64bit bars were the issue then he should have seen at least the two 32bit bars. Like I do on QEMU with amigaboot.of and no forth script.
Since he sees only the bridge within amigaos4, it looks like the first issue is a scanning issue. (or information is not passed on to amigaos4)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Balaton
Running debug kernel of different levels with attached bridge and radeonHD in it, together with added RadeonHD.chip to kickstarts and kicklayout, so just in case it may try to loads someday.

As far as i see from logs, RadeonHD driver even didn't tries to loads up, like found nothing (that expected, as even Ranger didn't see card as hardware attached).

Anyway, it case it will be of any help:

full boot with bboot debug-level3:
https://kas1e.mikendezign.com/pegasos2 ... ot_bboot_debuglevel_3.txt

full boot with bboot debug-level5:
https://kas1e.mikendezign.com/pegasos2 ... ot_bboot_debuglevel_5.txt

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Looks like you are using 2 Radeon cards.
Did you modify your DEVS:Monitors drivers for that? With a single one it should work automatically, but for using a 2nd one using something like a "BOARD=PCIGrapics.card" ToolTypes is required instead.
(Or something similar, I may be mixing things up and I never had such a setup, better ask Hans for details.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg
Yes, i running on radeon9250 to see output. But then, i currently didn't try to load RadeonHD driver, i currently trying to find : why kernel didn't see device at all. So i didn't see it in ranger, and so on as hardware.

All this "BOARD=PIGraphics.card" stuff is probably for later stage, and more of hi-level, to have driver works, etc. But firstly, we need driver to know that there any hardware related , so driver can start at least talking with harware

Currently, it very much looks like that the kernel simple didn't see it and that all... If you check my debuglevel outputs, you can find that after that:

[_SetupCapabilitiesEnumerating capabilites of device 0x00:0x06.0x00 (@0x6FFFE80C)
[
_SetupCapabilitiescapOffs0x40  capID0x1 (Power Management)
[
_SetupCapabilitiescapOffs0x50  capID0x5 (Message Signaled Interrupts)
[
_SetupCapabilitiescapOffs0x60  capID0x10 (PCIe)

Nothing else happens in that terms. Kernel didn't tried to even talk with hardware, like there is none.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Debug level is still too low. Try with debuglevel=7 where [ScanController] messages appear with info about reading PCI info about cards. Maybe there's some info there about what's happening. From these logs it only looks like it finds the bridge but does not go down on it, only checks bus 0 and 2 but not 1 that's behind the bridge. I don't know why though.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Quote:
[_SetupCapabilities] capOffs: 0x60 capID: 0x10 (PCIe)

Nothing else happens in that terms. Kernel didn't tried to even talk with hardware, like there is none.
Only AmigaOS 4.x kernels with PCIe support (X1000, X5000, A1222, etc.) will try to use PCIe cards, kernels for PCI-only hardware (classic Amiga, AmigaOne SE/XE/µA1, Pegasos2, etc.) wont, they only include support for 32 bit PCI cards.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Then how could @geennam use a passed through PCIe card?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »