Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

XFX AMD radeon RX580 GTS XXX Edition, 8GB GDDR5 - AmigaOS4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Anyone tested XFX AMD radeon RX580 GTS XXX Edition, 8GB GDDR5 on AmigaOS4 with the newsest Radeon drivers?

https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/amd-rade ... 580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-4

It is a AMD Polaris 20 XT (GCN 4) graphics processor.

Will it work on A1222/X5000?

Go to top
Re: XFX AMD radeon RX580 GTS XXX Edition, 8GB GDDR5 - AmigaOS4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@dooz
I own radeon rx580 8gb in my x5000 and works great. rx580GTS is slighty faster but in fact it is the same hardware as plain rx580.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Arthas

Thanks. Yes - generally I received that same answer also from other users with different RX580. But not this one. I also considered more tested RX550, RX560 or RX570 but the price of this RX580 which is I think the newest model for RX580 is not very much higher than weaker models.

This one is also very power hungry (about 180W) so 500W PSU is recommended. External 8-pin PCI power is needed. If powersave modes are not working this will sound like an jet-plane all the time

I will try to test it and report results. We should really organize an updated list of tested cards. This is of course constant effort since models of radeon cards are changeing so input from users that tested is very important.

I will try this RX580 on A1222 so I guess that will be a new experience also. Lets hope for the best - I can always get back to Radeon R7 250.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@dooz

Did you tested the card by any chance? I am looking to make RX purchase for my X5000 as well but was discouraged by different models and postponed the buy. Please share your findings, it will be appreciated.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

The result is - this card work just fine in A1222. So the hardware, Radeon driver and OS4 is compatible. It should work then in X5000.

The drivers are:
Warp3D: 53.27 / Nova: 54.16
Radeon RX: 2.11 / HD 3.7

I had to replace PSU to 500W and with 8-pin PCIe power connector. Before I had 300W and only 6-pin PCIe power connector.

Power options are running excellent for this RX card. You can choose:

Low power
High power
Dynamic ( I use this one).

Full 8 GB of GFX RAM is recognized.

From the software POV RadeonRX.chip must be included in kicklayout and after boot it will be automatically recognized. Before I had HD card and also the chip file for HD can be also loaded if I choose to swap the old card. UBoot works from the start with the new RX card. Two big fans only spin once during UBoot and stops. After OS is loaded fans are rotating slow and the card is pleasantly quiet. Even when there is a load on the GFX side - the card is not loud (but that might be only my impression). Before I had Radeon R7 250 from Asus and that one was much louder that this RX580. In fact the card is quiet and it cools down the rest of the Sharcoon Shark zone C10 miniITX tower I have. The performance and high load is best tested on famous Cow3D demo. Then card starts to show its performance and how hot it can be. Then it converts to power hungry, hot and powerfull card. But even then its not loud. The good thing about this card is that there is aluminium protection and cooler of the lower part so no worry about short circuit or cable managements below.

I was thinking about buying XFX RX570 but then I saw 20 EUR difference compared to RX580 so I bought the faster card.

It seems that its better to buy more powerfull card because it will be more quiet during normal load since we have power management.

Of course the performance compared to old Radeon R7 250 is higher and general impression is that it was worth buying.

Soft reset doesnt work but I am used to this since it didnt worked on old HD card. I simply dont use it since complete reboot is very fast anyway.

-dooz

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Nice to hear that!

Also, thank you on sharing all those informations with us, I am sure that will be very useful for other users who have plan to spend some money for new gfx card.

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@dooz

Quote:
I will try this RX580 on A1222 so I guess that will be a new experience also. Lets hope for the best - I can always get back to Radeon R7 250.

I'm glad you can. That's the best my X1000 has. But my card is incompatible with Update 2 which freezes on boot. So I must use a hybrid system of components. Unless the next update after that fixes it.

Currently the X1000 has the "worst" firmware as it is about ten years old now with no updates. This will eventually change but not soon. I don't want to buy an old card for my X1000 as I only install new hardware in it. I was able to source a new R7 250 but don't think I'll live that down. The last of the HD series and R9 are too old now. I was going to buy an RX580 when they came out but it would have sat around for five years and I still can't use it with my X1000. :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@dooz

I missed your reply somehow, but thank you for all of the details! I think I know what Ded Moroz will bring me as a present for New Year! I will have to check on the current PSU, I might need to upgrade that as well.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

For me it is always a bit of anticipation when I buy new graphic card for Amiga. First thing is to prepare yourself that maybe this card will not work in Amiga and that I will buy it for nothing. I cant really later say in PC shop that this card does not work in Amiga - they mosty dont know what this Amiga computer is Personnel in PC shop will plug it in some PC and it works - so no returns in this kind of "testing" is possible.

Also in this case we are taking about Amiga motherboard here. Such a big card RX580 is compared to mini-ITX motherboard. The version is 1.0 of PCIe slot. Will it work crossed my mind since all thoise cards are PCIe V3? There is practically nobody reported about this card working in A1222. Also RX580 is a power hungry card....there are some reports that thise gfx card can draw more watt then is allowed by specification also trought motherboard (70 ot 80 W, cant remember).... in additional to external power connector. Will it blow up Amiga motherboard or damage it with time? X5000 is safer since this is a bigger motherboard with more than one PCIe slot. But for me everthing is OK - I use it all the time. In the end its better to buy gfx card that has external power connector than some slower card that draw full power trought PCIe slot.

So this time I give it a try no matter what. At least others from Amiga community will know. Other also do this kind of experiments. We should have some kind of up-to-date compatibility list. Maybe I will start this quest

This card is manufactured in 2022 so probably it has the newest firmware.

Go to top

Register To Post