Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SMBFS / SMBMOUNTER Bug? (SOLVED)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello all,

I think I have found a bug with SMBFS or SMBMOUNTER perhaps providing inadequate flags to SMBFS causing the following bug that I ask someone to reproduce.

Firstly,

version SMBFS

Produces:
smbfs 2.1

And,
version SMBMounter

Produces:
SMBMounter 1.4

1. Use SMBMounter to mount your NAS share
2. Double click on the mounted NAS share
3. Navigate anywhere so that you can see a large file
4. Copy that large file to somewhere local on your Amiga
5. Notice that the "Copying" window will eventually hang
6. Try to start another program on your Amiga and notice that there is essentially a freeze

I do know that there is a work-around for this.

If I also have a VNC window open to the same remote machine and then merely move the mouse cursor, the copying comes back to life. This means that if I am streaming or copying large files I always need to have a VNC session (or something that will stimulate network activity) open in order to prevent a total lock-up.

At the moment, I have not delved into any debugging.

I just want to declare this issue in this first post.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/2/24 22:24:33
Reason: It may be my configuration!
Edited by rjd324 on 2022/3/31 0:23:03
Go to top
Re: SMBFS / SMBMOUNTER Bug
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
For "a large file" it would probably be helpful to know how large? 100MB? 1GB 2.5GB 5GB?

I have a feeling that SMBFS doesn't support files over 2GB in size, but I could be wrong.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

>2GB works fine with smbfs.

It depends on your connection though.
There are cases where the transfer speed is too low so the connecting sides may time out.

I copied lots of 3 and 4 GB files without problems.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
If I also have a VNC window open to the same remote machine and then merely move the mouse cursor, the copying comes back to life.

This sounds like the remote machine has gone into some kind of standby which stops network traffic. By waking it up the network traffic is resumed.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
This sounds familiar, and I think it's down to a slight incompatibility between protocols. I can't remember the details, but I do think it's a known issue with smbfs. There are newer versions of smbfs floating around, but they might introduce other issues as they're a work in progress. Development was paused I believe while Olsen was working on OS 3.1.4 / 3.2 updates, so maybe we'll see it getting picked up again soon...

Go to top
Re: SMBFS / SMBMOUNTER Bug?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks for the input all.

I should have made it clear that it does not have to be the very same NAS machine itself for which I need to send some network activity to. Here is a part 1 and part 2 of a video showing this issue happening and me being able to spring the coying back to life after it stalls by simply issuing a command through SSH to a completely different machine on my local network.
P1 https://youtu.be/6uaDDh-ZIN4
P2 https://youtu.be/O32uXgWiItI

The network card came with this X1000 and in Ranger:
Name: RTL8139
Device: rtl8139.device, Unit 0

I can also say that when I use FTP or SCP then I never have this issue.

The reason I mentioned SMBMOUNTER was because behind the scenes SMBMOUNTER must invoke SMBFS with command line options. I know that there is something in SMB where you can ensure that things don't go to sleep but when I read the changelogs for SMBFS this is automatically implemented anyway.

I can do some more testing, but I believe that I have tried to use SMBFS directly and then through the command line the same issue is seen. I can try this again.

I also have the SMBFS source and compiled it a few months ago, so I can do a little bit of debugging I guess. It has just taken a while to post this thread.

I can also say that on my classic A600 V2 machine with SMBFS/SMBMOUNTER then this issue does not present itself, albeit, those are different versions.

Go to top
Re: SMBFS / SMBMOUNTER Bug?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So far, after just installing an RTL8369 card, I cannot reproduce this issue.

I will report back if I can reproduce it. For now, case solved: upgrading to an RTL8369 seems to have done the job.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post