Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

FolderSync2 finally released
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This is a small notice that I've finally released "v1.0" (actually r1) of FolderSync2. I didn't feel that a news item was justified, because it's 'just' a Shell utility (plus some clickable scripts to make it's use a bit simpler). Anyway, you can get it from here:
http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ity/shell/foldersync2.lha

If you don't know what FolderSync2 is, then read the start of the manual here:
http://cshandley.co.uk/foldersync2

According to my notes, I've made beta versions of FolderSync2 available since around 2009, with the last beta release in 2011. With SMBFS now (sort of) working with Windows again, and various other improvements I've made to FolderSync2, I felt it was about time I polish it & make a proper release.

The biggest improvements since the last beta release are:

* It now ignores soft/hard links. I found this essential, as otherwise links could be accidentally replaced by real files. If you want to backup/copy links as well, then I recommend using my AmigaAttributes program.

* It now works with SMBFS. This is NOT heavily tested, but it has been reported to work. I'm waiting for some SMBFS issues to be fixed, before I use it with SMBFS heavily myself, but for less demanding use it should be OK right now...

* I've added UTF-8 support, which works great with FTP Mount. So finally files/folders with 'foreign' characters in their names work, which can be handy (for example) when backing-up Amiga program folders that contain Catalogs.

* The Windows version had a nasty habit of crashing after it had finished, but before it had fully written the log file, which was rather annoying (but not usually a serious problem). Now fixed.

* The scripts with icons (EasyBackup2, EasyFolderSync2 & ProfileWizard) have now been fixed to work on AmigaOS3.

And some smaller changes that some people may still find very helpful:

* It no-longer fails to update files that have been write/delete protected.

* Files to the TrashDir folder now get a file comment indicating their original path (just like FolderSync1 did), which means undeleting files is now much easier.

* The TrashDir folder is no-longer disabled for FTP Mount paths. Very handy, since you can now undelete stuff on Windows!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: FolderSync2 finally released
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I had not seen this before. Thanks for making it and releasing it so others can use it. Looking forward to trying it out!

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I like the Amiga-like command line arguments on the Windows binaries

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
Heh heh. It makes the Command Prompt much more usable

Although it's been a feature of PortablE since it was first ported to Windows...

@tekmage
Not many people do seem to have known about (or use) FolderSync2. I guess it doesn't help that I didn't upload it to Aminet/OS4Depot until now.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post