Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
How find handler/filesystem name of a volume?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Can someone tell me how to find the handler/filesystem NAME of a volume?

While it seems like GetDiskFileSystemData() does this on AmigaOS4, I want something that will work on AmigaOS3 (and above)...

I checked the handler's port's node name, but that's just gibberish.

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/5/9 22:07:51
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: How find handler/filesystem name of a volume?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
oops, wrong bit of code, post removed...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

FindDosEntry(), and then look at dn_Handler.

...I think.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Check out the OS3 DOS Info() function. Look at the OS3 DOS InfoData structure and you will see that the filesystem type is encoded as hexadecimal. According to OS4 DOS autodoc, Info() only gets the filesystem if there is a disk inserted.

You can also look at the source for the Dopus5 diskinfo module. The file diskinfo.strings contains the definitions for a lot of filesystems and the diskinfo_info() function in diskinfo.c shows how Dopus5 gets the filesystem type.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
Thanks for all the suggestions, but sadly none of them actually do what I'd wanted (at least not reliably), which is to identify SMBFS (and maybe FTP Mount) volumes :

FindDosEntry()->dol_misc.dol_device.dol_Handler identified the FTP Mount handler, but is no use identifying SMBFS (NULL bcpl string for Device mode), and of course no use at all for normal Volumes like SFS (or SMBFS in Volume mode).

FindDosEntry()->dol_misc.dol_volume.dol_DOSType is no use for the FTP Mount handler (it's not a Device), while for SMBFS (in Volume mode) it uselessly reports the type as DOS\0. Of course it works fine for normal Volumes like SFS.

Info(lock, infodata) ; infodata->id_DiskType is not really any different to dol_DOSType above, except that for SMBFS (in Device mode) it uselessly reports DOS\0.

GetDiskFileSystemData() reports nothing for SMBFS & FTP Mount. For normal Volumes like SFS it does work, but the data provided is of no use for my purposes: fsd_DeviceName is something like "sb600sata.device", while fsd_FileSystemName is something like "HDD2:".

Examining the code of DOpus5's diskinfo module is not likely to be any use, since that presumably only works on normal Volumes visible from Workbench.

edit: Corrected the FindDosEntry() pseudo-code to be more like C.

Edited by ChrisH on 2016/5/11 12:53:04
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
What about examining the code for dopus5's device list? that at least detects SMBFS correctly

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin Quote:
What about examining the code for dopus5's device list? that at least detects SMBFS correctly

How do you mean "detects ... correctly"? What info does it provide for SMBFS? Bearing in mind that the user can give the SMBFS volume/device any name they wish...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
I don't think you can get what you want from a simulated filesystem like FTPMount or SMBFS. The actual filesystem is located at other end of a network connection. FTPMount stopped working for me with OS4.1FE so I updated my personal copy to work with FE and have been slowly updating it further. FTPMount simulates a media device with the device name FTP: and a volume name of FTPMount. FTPMount identifies itself as DOS/0 but the files could be coming from any filesystem where the connected server is located on. The FTPMount hosts directory is what's displayed as FTP: when you enter "dir FTP:" and uses the filesystem where the FTPMount directory is located. When you access an FTP site, FTPMount is obtaining the files/dirs from the connected FTP server which could have a Unix, Windows, Linux or other filesystem. FTPMount is just tricking AmigaDOS into interacting with it as though it were an Amiga filesystem. In fact FTPMount can be connected to several FTPServers at once but present them to AmigaDOS as a single Amiga filesystem.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic
I don't care what filesystem is used at the other end, just whether or not SMBFS or FTP Mount are being used at all. I could have imagined a fake dos type "FTP/0" or similar being specified, since this would make marginally more sense than "DOS/0" (which is an outright lie, and could lead to software expecting specific FFS behaviour that is unlikely to be emulated).

Quote:
I don't think you can get what you want from a simulated filesystem like FTPMount or SMBFS.

I *can* for FTP Mount, since it's handler is given as "L/FTPMount-Handler" (as expected). But SMBFS's stated handler is a NULL bcpl string :( , which seems a bit buggy (I'd argue it should at least be an empty string, and possibly a fake handler name).

Unfortunately it was SMBFS I was really interested in detecting, because I can already detect FTP Mount by the fact that it has a root device of FTP:, etc.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
@xenic
I don't care what filesystem is used at the other end, just whether or not SMBFS or FTP Mount are being used at all. I could have imagined a fake dos type "FTP/0" or similar being specified, since this would make marginally more sense than "DOS/0" (which is an outright lie, and could lead to software expecting specific FFS behaviour that is unlikely to be emulated).

I'd say that specifying the DOSType as DOS\0 is a bug and it should be FTP\0 or SMB\0 in the examples given. Basically anything not being used is fine, built-in types should definitely be avoided as certain assumptions may be made (eg. DOS\0 may make software assume 32 char max filenames for example)

Quote:

I *can* for FTP Mount, since it's handler is given as "L/FTPMount-Handler" (as expected). But SMBFS's stated handler is a NULL bcpl string :( , which seems a bit buggy (I'd argue it should at least be an empty string, and possibly a fake handler name).

I suspect that's correct. The handler name is filled in by DOS when it is mounted. smbfs runs as a command though, so doesn't have a mountlist and is constructed in memory. Anything other than NULL could cause problems as ramlib loads the path referenced when SegList is 0 (not sure that's relevant particularly, but ramlib could potentially try to open a NULL string, or a virus if a fake path has been inserted)

Quote:

Unfortunately it was SMBFS I was really interested in detecting, because I can already detect FTP Mount by the fact that it has a root device of FTP:, etc.

Unless the device has been renamed, in which case it won't...

I think DOSType is probably the correct route for smbfs, I suggest you raise a bug report with Olaf and ask for it to be set to something sensible (like SMB\0 or NTFS - NTFS is the filesystem Samba usually identifies itself as for compatiblity. There's a potential clash with local NTFS drives, but it should support the same features whether local or remote so probably OK?)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
O.K. I just took a quick look at the sources for the latest SMBFS release and it's not mounted in the usual mountfile method like FTPMount. It looks like the user can specify a device name and volume name so you can't rely on that for an ID. Maybe the current maintainer of SMBFS can help you with identifying it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've reported this SMBFS 'bug' here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/amiga-smbfs/bugs/14/

For the moment I shall have to get the user of my programs to specify when they are using an SMBFS volume.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Line 2698 of main.c reads:
VolumeNode->dol_misc.dol_volume.dol_DiskType ID_DOS_DISK;

It should read: (for SMB\0)
VolumeNode->dol_misc.dol_volume.dol_DiskType 0x534D4200;

NTFS would be 0x4E544653
smbfs is too long.

I can't log in to my sf.net account atm so can't comment directly there. (oh, I remember now, the passwords have to be at least ten chars long, so I set it to something ridiculous)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
smbfs is too long

Doh, you are right. You could still use 'smb\0' or 'smbf' or even 'ntfs' (assuming you wanted to use lowercase as a convention for 'virtual' filingsystems).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

For SMBFS you could check if dol_Task points to a proper MsgPort whose mp_SigTask points to a Process with pr_CLI set and cli_CommandName beginning with "smbfs".

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thomas
Quote:
For SMBFS you could check if dol_Task points to a proper MsgPort whose mp_SigTask points to a Process with pr_CLI set and cli_CommandName beginning with "smbfs".

Unless the user has renamed the program like I frequently do

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Another alternative would be to get the process pointer from the handler's msgport (mp_SigTask), use IDOS->GetProcSegList() to get a pointer to the seglist and then use IDOS->GetSegListInfo() to scan for the version string, which should contain "smbfs" even if the program was renamed by the user.

For AmigaOS < 4.0 where the above functions don't exist you will have to read the seglist pointer directly from the process structure and then scan it for the version string manually.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If you come up with a reliable way to check for SMBFS please post it here. Am in interested in it also.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00 Quote:
Another alternative would be to get the process pointer from the handler's msgport (mp_SigTask), use IDOS->GetProcSegList() to get a pointer to the seglist and then use IDOS->GetSegListInfo() to scan for the version string, which should contain "smbfs" even if the program was renamed by the user.

I've tried that, but GSLI_VersionString doesn't seem to find anything. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but can't work-out what yet...

Am I right to take the "doslist" obtained with FindDosEntry(), and do the following?:
Quote:
process = (struct Process*) doslist->dol_Port->mp_SigTask;

GetProcSegList() does seem to find & return a seglist from this... But maybe not for the right thing?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thomas Quote:

OS4 has renamed "dol_Task" to the (more sensible) "dol_Port". Unfortunately the "pr_CLI" seems to be nonsense (I know it's a BCPL pointer).

Given I didn't have much better luck with Salass00's suggestion either (no crash but nothing useful), I'm beginning to wonder if treating "mp_SigTask" as a struct Process pointer is wrong.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »