Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: PowerPC will return as desktop CPU alternative!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

The long post you wrote by quoting me, you should take up this problem with A-EON and Hyperion Entertainment. I am sure they will provide the answers you are looking for...

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

I don't have any questions for them... Do you not answer the questions I have tried asking you?

Edited by billt on 2010/4/2 15:32:24
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis Quote:
Some claim here that i was the pessimistic person from AW.net.

If that's how you interpreted my post, then you got TOTALLY the wrong understanding. I was saying some OTHERS on AW.net are pessemistic.

Quote:
Does it really matter if the X1000 is using a modern PPC architecture?

PPC is in fact Hyperion's only choice, since OS4 doesn't run on anything else. So it *is* pointless to argue x86 vs PPC, as they simply don't have the resources to port OS4 to x86 or ARM (without loosing backwards compatibility to all existing software).

Quote:
I had the feeling that i was fighting a lonely battle there to convince people the opposite

You could try being involved in *existing* threads, rather than starting new ones about topics that people might not be interested in discussing.

You could also try making shorter posts (by focusing on the most important point), so that it is easier for people to reply to you. (I rarely feel like replying to either, since he usualy fills a whole screen with a load of unrelated/unstructured thoughts.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Didn't see the thing about AW.net, but glad to know it wasn't ME who was the pessimistic guy...

It might be that PPC is the only choice for AmigaOS at the moment, but it's certainly far away a bad one...

Check out the latest A-EON interview, and you will find something really interesting...

It's true that they have to focus on PPC at the moment, according to what you say, which is true...

But still think of it. The Amiga uses the PPC in such a far better way than Windows uses the x86 architecture.

Think about that fact. That's quite a difference...

I will try to take well to hart making point-to-point topics as short and directly as possible...That's a good point..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

I don't think anyone has ever thought you to be pessimistic. My observation of other peoples' observations is that you are very very far the opposite.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

Thank you, billt. It means a lot to me to know that. I'm sorry i was too defensive...

But lets not dvelve too much on what is happening in the general computing industry. We should be happy that AmigaOne X1000 will provide us a modern Amiga system to run AmigaOS 4.1. That's quite inspiring, really...

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

I don't hate the X1000. I hope you haven't thought that. I am very happy with some things we've seen and some things I myself strongly suspect but do not know for certain. I do get frusterated that I continue to not be able to have a laptop, and thus it's far less convenient for me to use an Amiga. I use my PC laptop all the time, so does my wife. Currently no desktop style computers are even hooked up, and I cannot use my XE for anything. I'm working on uboot for XE, and working on some drivers, all in a virtual Linux machine in my PC laptop, until I have something I ready to test and need the XE plugged in.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis

I think today is a better day for PowerPC then yesterday.

I find it where promising that we have 2 x Motherboards on there way.

AEON ? X1000, SAM460EX, I hope there will be market for etch of cards and maybe there is going to be some sales to Linux market too, now Fix Star is out of the picture there might be opportunity to grab former fix star customers (Trying to be bit optimistic, about the economic climate).

I think Sam460Ex will put a end to all the talk about ARM, as the PowePC460 is tuned towards multimedia, as some of ARM chips are.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
I think today is a better day for PowerPC then yesterday.

I definitely think that, too! A-EON and Hyperion Entertainment must have known about this for quite some time, and wanted to surprise us.

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

For laptop use I would be happy if there was a AOS4 version that runs in some PPC JIT emulation on x86, hosted on AROS or puppylinux on some laptop.

I imagine something like PPC700Mhz speeds should be possible on modern high end laptops.

Other than that...
SAM460 might be bossible to build into a laptop case, too bad it does not have 3D acceleration on board. And that no one seems to be manufacturing empty laptop cases/DIY kits for us geeks. :-|

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@KimmoK

It does in fact seem that PPC is returning back to the desktop market as well as moving forward in the embedded market. IBM is doing an excellent job
in creating newer and more modern PPC technology
with their POWER architectures!

- Helgis
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)