Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Increasing OWB font sizes [solved]
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I've found a great site for downloading freeware "legacy" fonts (And others too, but I only wanted the windows ones, such as Verdana, times new roman, etc). If anyone wants to check it out, it has EVERY standard windows font you'll need I think!
http://www.free-fonts-ttf.org/true-ty ... -italic-8562-download.htm

But getting back on topic.. these icon tooltype values look good as they are:
FONTXDPI=84
FONTYDPI=84

.. but they're a little too small for my eyes. I always increase my font sizes in my browsers..... I'm trying to get OWB to match my Firefox screen atm (which has increased sizes too). But if I increase those xdpi values, they get bigger, but they get chunky/thick/semi-bold and still kinda hard on my eyes. They're sensitive to the tiniest thing these days.

I downloaded on the fonts on OS4 and installed them properly with Typemanager.. they look good in the Sample windows. Even with bold turned on.

FONTXDPI=98
FONTYDPI=98
.. This size looks good. But like I said,the thickness of the text..........

I'm willing to try anything. Hit with your suggestions guys.. this is my main browser on Amiga now, so it'll be cool to perfect it to my own needs.

Edited by jahc on 2009/6/20 8:23:14
Go to top
Re: Increasing OWB font sizes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

MINFONTSIZE=10
FONTXDPI=93
FONTYDPI=90
UNICODEFONT=Bitstream Cyberbit

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown

No that size is too small, and it still looks terrible..

I already had the MINFONTSIZE set to 11 or a similar value..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

I figured it out!

I played with the auto hinter in Typemanager for the Verdana font.. found the light one I liked.... then I set the OWB tooltype to use FONTHINTER=1 (which was the first entry in the hinter cycle gadget in the Typemanager prefs).. this is the result!

old chunky style:
http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/problem/1.png

new slim style:
http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/problem/2.png

I have my thin fonts now, and I learned a little more about the os4 font system!

EDIT: Oh, I will tweak it a little more to make the dpi settings look nicer. But thats basically the size I want and already use on the PC :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jahc

Could you please post what tooltypes you set finally to match your firefox system?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

MY firefox has been modified heavily, so that its a lot easier on my eyes.... But I downloaded all the fonts I needed from that site listed above:

Courier_New.ttf
Courier.ttf
Times_New_Roman_Bold.ttf
Times_New_Roman_CE.ttf
Times_New_Roman.ttf
Verdana_Bold_Italic.ttf
Verdana_Bold.ttf
Verdana_Italic.ttf
Verdana.ttf

then used:
MINFONTSIZE=10
FONTXDPI=98
FONTYDPI=98
FONTKERNING
FONTHINTER=1

And makes it match MY pc's setup fairly closely.. although some sites just look a bit odd. Amigaworld.net could look a little better for instance. But just compare my two screenshots and you'll see the difference between using chunky anti aliasing, and thinner anti aliasing..

EDIT: you may need to use these settings in your Typemanager prefs? click on the font, then click modify, then choose the Hinter..
http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/problem/hinter.png

EDIT2: Ah, amigaworld.net uses Arial which looks not as good on my setup with FONTHINTER=1 .. I need to play with it some more.

P.S. sorry if the things I've typed are a little inaccurate..

Edited by jahc on 2009/6/20 9:48:03
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

Quote:
EDIT: you may need to use these settings in your Typemanager prefs? click on the font, then click modify, then choose the Hinter..
http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/problem/hinter.png

EDIT2: Ah, amigaworld.net uses Arial which looks not as good on my setup with FONTHINTER=1 .. I need to play with it some more.
To use the font hinters configured in TypeManager you have to use FONTHINTER=0 in OWB.
That way you can use different hinters for the different fonts, and since it depends on the font which of the 4 hinters looks best you have more control that way, for example you can use another one for Arial.

With FONTKERNING enabled the texts look better, but since text input doesn't work correctly with it, the cursor is often at the wrong offset (not only with my AmigaOS 4.x OWB font implementation, it's the same with the libfreetype one), it's better not to enable it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

thanks for the suggestion!

for now though, I've renamed arial to arial2, and copied verdana as arial.. so that way my favourite font can be used in most places.

http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/problem/verdana_owb.png

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

cheers for that jahc, now OWB is easier to read ( Oh I'd hate to be old like Mikey_C )

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top

Register To Post