Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga 1200
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
At my folks house there's my Amiga 1200 with a 20GB hard disk and i *think* a Blizzard 1230 MK5 16MB (+ FPU). It also has a CD-ROM drive plugged into the PCMCIA slot and an external power supply to power it.

I'm looking to bring this machine home to start using it again in order to play my classic games on floppy, of which I have hundreds but am looking to breath a bit of life into the old lady.

Firstly, I've bought some 3.1 ROMS to fit into the machine and sadly, Amigakit seem to no longer sell 3.1 workbench disks. However, I do own Amiga Forever 2008 - can I use the workbench 3.1 files on there and install them onto my 1200? and is it legal? I suspect I am going to need to somehow turn the ADF files on the disk into proper Amiga disk in order to install?

I ask as I lost one of the workbench 3.0 disks so I need to do something (the HD is unformatted and unused, but is fitted in the 1200 and works).

Secondly, I'm looking at the IDE-Fix Express Buffered IDE (A1200) on Amigakit and am considering buying it. Is it any good? Is it easy to fit? Does it fit inside the A1200 case or would I need to go put my A1200 in a tower?

Sorry, as I'm writing this I realise I have lots of questions, but I want to honour the old lady and bring her back out of retirement to use along with my SAM.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Amiga 1200
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommo1975

Hi Tommo

I've got one of those IDE interfaces and it fits fine in an A1200 case.

Why not go a little further upmarket and get AOS3.5 or (preferably) 3.9?
Those OS's include 3.1 anyway and I don't think they are any more expensive than Amiga Forever, either.

I would imagine it wouldn't be exactly kosher to rip the 3.1 files from AF either! But there is a facility included on AF to write ADF's to a disk. Mind you, if Cloanto have paid a license fee to A Inc and you've paid Cloanto, then perhaps it is totally legal.

Anyway, best of luck with the "old lady". Don't forget to let us all know how you've got on.

Fred Booth

Edited by OldAmigan on 2009/5/15 22:35:22
Go to top
Re: Amiga 1200

See User information
@tommo1975

Hi Tommo, I don't think they made a MK5 Blizzard 030, I think the last revision was 4.

Mike

Go to top

Register To Post