Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4.1 Installation Problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I performed a clean install of OS 4.1 on my AmigaOne yesterday, but have had a few problems. I've just tried again this morning, but same result again.

AmigaOne XE G4
Radeon 7000
HP w2228 monitor
U-Boot 1.1.1

My copy of 4.1 doesn't come with the installation guide I've seen others mentioned, but the installation process seemed fairly straightforward.

I've re-partitioned my drive to have a 15 GB SFS/00 partition (DH0:), 20GB JXF partition (DH1:) and a 2 GB swap partition (SWAP:) set up according to the installer instructions. DH0 is bootable, all are automounted. After partitioning I was asked to reboot, which I did.

I was then prompted to format DH0 (DH1 and SWAP are not showing up). After this, the installation to DH0 went fine.

I removed the install CD and rebooted. The normal boot process occurs and I get to the AmigaOS 4.1 logo screen... but then the screen goes black. There's no disk activity at this point, and the screen doesn't change - I left it for half an hour yesterday just in case something was happening very slowly, but nope.

So, what am I missing or have done wrong?

Any help much appreciated.

Professional Python and SQL Developer / BASI 2 Snowboard Instructor
Amigan since 1990: AmigaOne XE / A4000/030 / A500
Go to top
Re: OS4.1 Installation Problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MetalJoe

I'm wondering if this is a screendriver problem, resolution wise or something.

It sounds to me like the OS is actually booting up but you're getting no display output - there's a way around this I'm sure, may require copying an older driver or editing the screen mode details but I have not had to do that before.

Can anyone else shed any light?

Rude!

(I may also be talking out of my @rse but I'm sure I recall someone having a similar problem.)

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rudei

Cheers! Interestingly, the resolution the monitor says it is displaying for the black screen is 800x600 @ 60Hz, which is not the resolution I set in the installation process (1280x1024). It just dawned on me that it's not showing a "Signal out of range" error.

Booting from the install CD, I can use Prefs to set the screen to 1280x1024 ARGB, which is what I want - well, I want higher but it's a good starting point

I've been away from the Amiga for too long - feel a bit of a newbie again

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Rudei, you're a star! That's pointed me in the right direction. Cheers!

Using the install CD, I edited the Radeon monitor tooltypes on my installation, rebooted and it's now showing me Workbench with a Congratulations box

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Right, next question:

Why is DH1 not listed and how do I format it as I've only been given DH0 as an option? I'm guessing SWAP also needs to be formatted?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MetalJoe

Okay, Partition Wizard says not enough memory for DH1. I've changed filesystem from JXF to SFS and it's now been recognised. All good

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@MetalJoe

First SWAP does not need formatting, it is only accessed in raw reads and writes.

Secondly, your DH1 partition is JXFS, what blocksize did you use for it. If not 512, then you MUST set it to that.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Aha! Cheers - it had defaulted to 1024.

Go to top

Register To Post