Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 149

jabirulo, nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Need Help: ffmpegGUI users with iPods or PSP
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
With the new version of ffmpeg it should now be possible to generate video's and audio that work with iPods, iTouch, iPhone and PSP devices.

In ffmpegGUI v2.1 I have included some pre-defined setups in the Settings/Predefined Setups/Video draw which should produce video's compatable the these devices. Unfortunatly I don't have these devices to test with. Could someone with these devices give it a try and let me know if they work?

Note that depending on your device and generation, iTunes may not recognize the video files produced because it checks for a certian signature in the file. In this case it might be necessary to us a program other than iTunes to load the file to your iPod/iTouch/iPhone. If you can get them on the device they should play fine. I hope.

The following pre-defined setups are supplied:

Movie-->iPod_standard_screen.ffmp
Movie-->iPod_wide_screen.ffmp
Movie-->PSP_standard_screen.ffmp
Movie-->PSP_wide_screen.ffmp

You can name your movie by replacing the text in the quotes after the -title option in the ffmpegGUI "Enter additional options" string gadget. If that doesn't work try removing the -title option all togather but leave the other options.

I appreciate any feedback.

Go to top
Re: Need Help: ffmpegGUI users with iPods or PSP
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

It works ok here, itunes found the file, installed it and it plays on my itouch.

The only problem is the settings, for an itouch it really needs a resolution of 320x160 or 640x320 and a 548k bitrate is fine.

I've no idea how the gui or ffmpeg works but creating a new settings file with those video resolutions crashes the gui.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Severin wrote:
It works ok here, itunes found the file, installed it and it plays on my itouch.

That's good news.
Quote:

The only problem is the settings, for an itouch it really needs a resolution of 320x160 or 640x320 and a 548k bitrate is fine.

Yes, until I new the settings would work I only created files for the iPod screens. Thanks for suppling hte info on the iTouch. I'll add some new settings files and at some point probably add iPod/iTouch support to the built in Settings Menu.
Quote:

I've no idea how the gui or ffmpeg works but creating a new settings file with those video resolutions crashes the gui.

Tha's not so good! I assume you changed the settings in the GUI and tried to save the setup? If you edited the file by hand in an editor instead I discovered a bug that might cause this problem. I'll have a look at it tonight. Thanks!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Severin wrote:

Ok, I took a look and it's as I expected. Since the resolution you were intrested in is not supported in the Video Size dropdown you must have edited the settings file and unfortunatly run into a defect I discovered but forgot to fix. I'll fix it in a future turn...someday. :|

The last lines in the setting file cannot be empty lines. If they are the program will crash when tring to read the settings file. The other problem with editing the file is that if you try to use settings not supported by the chooser then they will be set to the last item and give you an error message. Bottom line it it's best not to edit the settings files directly. Here is the recommended way to use your own custom settings:

I've designed the interface so if the default setting is used there is no commnad issued to ffmpeg. This allow you to override the settings using the "Enter additional commands" field. For all items in the GUI I've included the ffmpeg option in the hint text so you can easily see the command option. (Note that some of the check boxes don't have a hint due to a bug in the development system. Try looking at the hint in the gadget next to them.) Anyway, by looking at the hint you can get the command so just leave the particular setting at it's default and enter the option command and settings in the "additional commands" area.

So, to set a custome size like you want to do:

Leave the "Size" setting at "No Change" then enter
-s 320x160 into the additional options area and press enter.

Once you have all the settings to your liking just save the settings and you can recall them anytime without problems.

The documentation explains this in the first part of the "usage" section but it's not spelled out as clear as I did here. I don't like writing documentation any more that you guy like reading it. :)

The bottom line is there should be no reason to edit the settings files manually as everything you can do by editing the file can be done through the GUI interface.

Hope this helps.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Yep that explains it, I tend to delve underneth the hood and change things there if there is no obvoius thing in a gui and as I really hate hints I rarely turn them on.

I'll put this one down to both our fault and your bugs are easier to fix than mine

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post