Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Suddenly Os4 classic doesnt boot
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello, tomorrow I was using Os4 classic in my 4000 and it worked perfect. I only made some usual things, nothing related to system manteinance.
Today it does not boot. Makes the resets, the pal screen shows the colors, etc but at the time that the P96 might appear nothing success, only black screen in pal and rtg.
First I suppose that will be a Hardware failure but Os3.9 works perfect and the PPC software in 3.9 works.

Any Ideas or I will reinstall the Os4.0 from 0.

Thanks to all

Go to top
Re: Suddenly Os4 classic doesnt boot
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@doraemon

Just guessing. You can check all your files in the kickstart directory, against the files on the OS4 Classic CD.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@doraemon

You should maybe put a "set echo on" on your startup sequence, just to see where it blocks and add the verbose option to your bootloader command.

...it could be, for instance, a problem with your network connection.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@doraemon

Tell us a bit more about your setup.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@bouvelle2000

I've made the bouvelle2000 tips
Well, the bootloader runs fine.
The last line that I can see is the
"c:AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)"
and then appears a requester:
Intuition trys to reinicialitze the Worbench screen, close all the screens except the drawers.
Retry and Cancel options

I can't close the Cli screen that seems freezed (I can type in it but it don't work, ex.. encli does nothing)

I've tryed to coment the addnetinterface line with a ; with no luck.

If I close the CLI screen open a corrupted screen with vertical pink stripes and small black horitzontal lines.

Help !

(Sorry for my bad english)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@doraemon

; out the IPrefs command

then reset

also, check the time sometimes if the clock is too far in the future (sometimes mine ends up being 2046) this prevents the workbench loading.

need to boot into a shell and reset and save the time to current time...

I think your problem is IPref though...

If once you ; out IPrefs and boot into the workbench screen...

turn off machine and remove your graphics card and clean the contacts etc and put it back in... just make sure all your cards are settled correctly...

I was going to say try another zorro slot when you put it back in but I believe you have a CybervisionPPC?

good luck... if you have continuing problems try and install another Graphics card to at least eliminate the graphics board being a problem

adios!

trouble with these sort of problems it's really a hands on sort of thing!

btw, just to help out with English, tommorrow refers to the next day (the future) and yesterday refers to the previous day (in the past)

Edited by Slayer on 2009/2/3 1:07:12
Edited by Slayer on 2009/2/3 1:09:05
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

First thanks for the english tips, I don't use english very often and I forgot some basic things.

The time its correctly set in the machine.

If I comment Iprefs with a ";" I get a Cli frezed screen (no intuition requester) and if I close this I get a a corrupted gfx screen.

I have a CybervisionPPC and works perfect in OS3.9 in the same computer ( I have 3.9 and 4.0 installed)

I cleaned the contacts of Cybervision and the PPC to be sure that oll was OK.

Details of my HW:
Amiga 4000 + CyberstormPPC 604/210 060/50
Toccatta, Xsurf2, Deneb USB, CybervisionPPC etc

Help please ....

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@doraemon

My friend, your English is very good overall considering you don't use it that often. Tenses are sometimes incorrect but it is constructed well and people are able to understand the general context of your discussion

Rude! (/nick)

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@doraemon

okay,

boot into a shell (no startup-sequence)

type:

type s:startup-sequence

and start executing the commands line by line printed in the startup-sequence until you strike the one that causes the problem-start with the netinterface one if that is the last one you saw in that previous evaluation

maybe somehow your monitor driver has become corrupt? or the tooltypes in the icon.

very strange that IPrefs works?

perhaps enter startup-sequence and reduce it to just have the bootloader, setpatch, iprefs loadwb and endcli

do you get your proper workbench screen etc?

I wish I was there

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@doraemon

To backup what Slayer has said, I had the same fault as you when messing round with monitor drivers trying to use two graphics cards.

You could try removing all cards from dev/monitors and see if you can then output to a tv.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Effectively, it could be a problem of monitor drivers. I've already had this kind of problem with my old configuration: A1200PPC + BVision + Mediator + Voodoo 3000 + SB128. The Voodoo graphic card was only used by the SB128 card (for memory access). I don't really remember what I've precisely done to fix that problem, but I think I've modified the kicklayout file to comment out some graphic drivers (it accelerates the firs boot)

But I have had another problem: in the past, I've tried to use a Grex bus on my 1200 and was obliged to flash my Blizzard PPC ROM. The GREX has never worked because of the revision of my PPC. When I installed the OS4 for the first time, I've had big difficulties to use the BVision display (OS4 was booting on Aga display and disk access was extremely slow). I've discoverd, then that it was bound to the flash update...

(Sorry for my bad french english too...)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
At last seems to be a SFS corruption.
Other partitions starts to make read errors.
I've backup all and reformated the partitions and now it runs fine.
Thanks for your help!

Go to top

Register To Post