Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Unable to open your tool
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi,

I've had the error "Unable to open your tool [x]" pop up a couple of times on some software, specifically Stefan Rupprecht's SGarb, when I double click on the icon. Can someone tell me what's going wrong? I checked to make sure the file was a tool, not a project (a problem I recall from OS<=3).

Go to top
Re: Unable to open your tool
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@daveyw

I take it you have checked the icon and the box execute is ticked?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Thanks. Very helpful of the author to upload it like that.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@daveyw

Might not be the author.
What file system are you using?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Most of my drives (and the one the file was on) is 4.0's FFS. I also have a couple formatted with SFS. I also tried copying the file to ram and running it from there.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@daveyw

It seems to me that the handling of the executable flag has changed in AmigaOS4.1.

AFAIK the executable flag was set by default with previous versions of AmigaOS but is no longer so in OS4.1.

Before installing OS4.1 onto a new harddrive (the old one had bad blocks) I made backups of some programs and games. After installing OS4.1 I unarchived these using "lha" (I didn't use UnArc since it kept crashing on some of the larger archives). In this case I had to reset the executable flags on all executables since they had been unset.

With OS4.1 I also have to use "protect +e" to set the executable flag on any programs I compile with VBCC.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
Before installing OS4.1 onto a new harddrive (the old one had bad blocks) I made backups of some programs and games. After installing OS4.1 I unarchived these using "lha" (I didn't use UnArc since it kept crashing on some of the larger archives). In this case I had to reset the executable flags on all executables since they had been unset.

With OS4.1 I also have to use "protect +e" to set the executable flag on any programs I compile with VBCC.

No, that very much depends on which platform the LhA archive has been created. Lots of archives today are created on a Linux system, which doesn't know anything about AmigaOS' protection bits. Hence the Amiga LhA is unable to restore the E bit because the archive doesn't contain any information about it. Only archives created on Amiga will contain all Amiga relevant informations (protection bits, comments, etc).

If you list the archives contents with "lha vv" instead of "lha v" you will see the host type which created the single files within the archive. "Unknown" or "Linux/Unix" host archives will most probably not contain any Amiga specific informations.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I thought that was only with the JXFS file system, but I could easily be wrong.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tboeckel

Lha may have originated on other systems but in this day and age AmigaOS is pretty much the only system where it's still being widely used.

Of course I used the latest AmigaOS4 lha on AmigaOS4 to create the archives in case that wasn't clear from the context.

IMHO in case the executable flag cannot be stored in the archive file it should default to enabled on unarchiving since it doesn't hurt to have it enabled on data files, but it does to have it disabled on executable files.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
Read the lha docs, that behaviour is intentional, even if it makes no sense. To unpack a lha archive with restoring the protection bits you have to use "lha -a x archive.lha". Or put "-a" in the env variable lha supports for setting default options (IIRC it's LHAOPTS, but check the docs).

UnArc restores the protection bits of lha archives.

Edited by joerg on 2008/11/28 7:29:57
Go to top

Register To Post