Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

System clock running ahead?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Could somebody check the system clock on the server running the forum? It looks like it must be about ten minutes ahead of proper time, judging from the timestamps on some posts I made.

(This one will be/was posted at exactly 23:36 Central European Summer Time.)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Re: System clock running ahead?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

And by now it is about 15 minutes ahead.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thematic

So in about 9 years it will have gained about an hour, so that they won't need to change its time zone when summer time starts .

(There's a positive angle on any problem -- or so I'm told.)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

This is not an uncommon problem with computer clocks according to my brother. Both my uA1 and SAM440EP are running ahead. I also have a Mac mini here which does the same. The easy solution is to simply make the computer sync the clock with NTP on each boot up. I have done this on the A1 but not yet on the SAM.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

It's not surprising when you look at the crummy crystal they supply for the RTC in computers. A 32.768 kHz watch crystal is probably the cheapest you can buy and you'd be lucky if its long term stability even approached 10 parts per million.

Add to that the fact that there is no user-available means (like a trimmer) to calibrate it and it can't be expected to keep time properly.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00
Quote:
This is not an uncommon problem with computer clocks according to my brother. Both my uA1 and SAM440EP are running ahead. I also have a Mac mini here which does the same. The easy solution is to simply make the computer sync the clock with NTP on each boot up. I have done this on the A1 but not yet on the SAM.

I know, I'm doing the same myself.

For anyone who hasn't ventured into this yet, it's as easy as:

C:Date SERVER PREFS
C:SetClock SAVE

- executed somewhere after your netinterface is verified to be up and running. It just requires that you have saved a prefs file from Time prefs after having set up which server to use etc. on the second tab of the Time Prefs.

And since I run my main A1 24/7, I have put the two lines above into a separate script which I call from my Network-Startup script, but also execute daily at noon from Docket.

So my machine is normally pretty close to correct time. I only wish the same was true for the server running Amigans.net.

Best regards,

Niels

Edit: Hey, somebody actually did something about it! This post got the correct time -- or at least close enough that it is no bother any more. Thanks, Orgin, or whoever!

Go to top

Register To Post