Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Chris, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Optimizing OS 4.0 for classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have a A4000 with Cyberstorm 200Mhz, 128MB RAM and a CybervisionPPC card. My netcard is an Ariadne and I have a Delfina Lite soundcard.

All in all a nice system that OS 4.0 runs fine on.

My OS 4.0 install is more a less straight of the box. No tweaks ore nothing.

Are their ways (besides installing SFS) to speed up the system?

Go to top
Re: Optimizing OS 4.0 for classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@johnfante

Quote:

johnfante wrote:

Are their ways (besides installing SFS) to speed up the system?

Besides using SFS on many partitions, you maybe want to keep FFS2. In this case, you should have a look at "fs_plugin_cache" .. IIRC located in SYS:System/
With that little helper you can specify a cache size for a FFS2 partition, which improves also FFS2 speed quite a bit.

Oh, then of course use decent block sizes for FFS2 .. e.g. if you have a partition where you mostly store bigger files (MP3, movies, etc.) raise the block size to e.g. 2048 .. this means on the one side a little loss of space for smaller files, but increases performance on bigger files.

Then you can change the buffers used for ASyncWB .. should be a tooltype in the icon .. the default buffers are way too small.. if you set it to bigger values (64k or 128k maybe) it should greatly speed up workbench copying operations and stuff.. (the CLI copy command also has a BUFFER option for that). Make some tests to find the best setting. Just make sure the buffers are powers of two.. i.e. for 64k not 64000, but 64 x 1024 = 65536

If you have network issues (e.g. the Amiga is far slower on downloading than a PC or Mac from the same server) check your Roadshow settings.. you can e.g. set the receive buffer up to 64k and a bunch of other stuff via ENV vars or on the fly with c:roadshowcontrol. I'm not in front of my A1 for the next time, so i can't tell you good settings for other stuff.. sorry.

There are probably other speed up possibilities as well, but that are the ones i could instantly think of

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top

Register To Post