Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

rwo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Audiobook files
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have a couple of Audiobooks (The Hobbit, and Fellowship of the Ring) in AIFF format on several cd's. Each cd contains 11 tracks, all the same size, except for the last one on each cd. They are not split according to chapters, but according to file size. (They were written on a pc, saving an audible.com book to cd.) For example, on cd1 track 2 contains the end of the prologue, and the beginning of chapter 1. I would like to convert them to mp3, on a chapter by chapter basis, using my Amigaone.

I would need to do the following:-

1) Split the tracks that contain parts from different chapters.
2) Join the relevant tracks, and part tracks, together to form one large AIFF file for converting.
3) Convert the resulting aiff file to mp3.

I can do number three easily, but I am not sure about one and two!!

I know there are join file programs available, but I am not sure about the aiff format. Can the aiff format files just be joined, or are there headers that mean they would have to be converted/edited before being split/joined?

Can I convert them first, and then split & join them?

If I can do any of the above, does anyone know what software I should use?

Thanks for any help

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Audiobook files
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

one simple answer : AudioEvolution

Luca

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

AIFF and all other IFF files cant be joined that easy.
IFF-files have a header that contains the filesize. And of course the max filesize has a ~4GB limit. You could convert the files to RAW-PCM to join them easily.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Swoop wrote:

I would need to do the following:-

1) Split the tracks that contain parts from different chapters.
2) Join the relevant tracks, and part tracks, together to form one large AIFF file for converting.
3) Convert the resulting aiff file to mp3.

How about using ffmpegGUI to convert to mp3 then join the files using the join command or better yet joinsplitter from OnyxSoft?

Just start ffmpegGUI and select "Audio->mp3" from the "Select Setup" dropdown.

Set the "Start Offset" and "Duration" fields to cut out the desired section the AIFF file.

Select your input AIFF file.

Give the output file a name.

Change the audio bitrate to a lower value if you want to create smaller mp3 files. 64k or 96k should be plenty for voice audio files.

Click "Start" and the desired section will be cut out and converted to an mp3 file.

You can then simply join the mp3 files together with joinsplitter or via the shell with the join command.

Edited by ktadd on 2008/5/27 6:16:21
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

I usually use HDrec (http://www.hd-rec.de/index.php?site=home) to do audio splitting/joining, it's straightforward to use. Recommended.

Varthall

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Quote:
one simple answer : AudioEvolution

Luca

That looks good, probably an overkill for what I want to do though.
I will probably put this on my 'to buy' list, just to support Dave Wentzler.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd

Hi Kevin

I was thinking of MPegEncGUI to encode, but obviously ffmpegGUI could do it as well, and from your instructions fairly easily. I have just one query, is there anyway to get the amount of offset required.
I used playCD to listen to the AIFF tracks, but there is no progress bar to indicate how far through the file I need to split it. Are there any OS4/Amiga progs that do?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Varthall

Quote:
I usually use HDrec (http://www.hd-rec.de/index.php?site=home) to do audio splitting/joining, it's straightforward to use. Recommended.

Varthall
Wow, that looks great. It looks very professional.
I couldn't see if it is available to purchase. On the download page there is a lite version available.
Do you know if the lite version will split and join the files, or do I need a full version?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

The Lite version is fully functional, I use that for audio editing. AFAIK the full version hasn't been released yet (since some years btw).

Varthall

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@ktadd

I used playCD to listen to the AIFF tracks, but there is no progress bar to indicate how far through the file I need to split it. Are there any OS4/Amiga progs that do?

Try TuneNet with the SNDFile Plugin from OS4Depot.

Alternatively you could play them in a CD/DVD player and probably get the times.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Varthall

Quote:
The Lite version is fully functional, I use that for audio editing. AFAIK the full version hasn't been released yet (since some years btw).

Varthall

I have downloaded and installed, but the guide doc is borked, or not complete. Is there any documentation anywhere.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post