Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

afxgroup, Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne slow booting... strange
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Now I got that famous problem too. My A1 didn't boot so I thought to check that battery first and I replaced it with a new one because old was 2.92 volts and the new one is 3.4 (or was it 3.2 ?) volts. After that it booted to Workbench but freezed almost immediately. Now it's like before battery replacement. It loads Kickstart modules but then there's only black screen and nothing happens. Then I replaced the battery again and short circuited pins of the battery holder (like suggested in some forum threads and that was possibly unnecessary after all). After that it booted to Workbench but freezed again. Then I got it to boot without startup-sequence from the startup menu. Then I found the problem. When I removed addnetinterface from startup-sequence it booted without problems. If I boot it first to WB and then try to start addnetinterface from shell it doesn't freeze but it can't connect to net. Then I powered off my ADSL modem/router (and switched it back on) everything is working fine again. So maybe I did something wrong last time I used my computer but I don't think so. Quite weird.

I had same problem with Linux (2.6.8) too (before resetting the modem).

So next time you have similar problems try resetting your network.

Edited by TSK on 2008/2/2 12:13:00
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: AmigaOne slow booting... strange
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

It took longer to boot than normally today. I don't know why it was slow. This is not good. I didn't change anything in S-S, U-S or WBStartup.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

I don't think I can really help you but...

If my DSL connection is not enabled, duration boot is longer because it tries to connect... and can't

If my DSL connection is enabled, everything is ok.

Glames

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Enter the early boot menu, press (and keep down) the Scroll lock key (on a PC keyboard) when the kickstart modules are loaded.
Then boot without startup-sequence.
(alternatively you can stop at the boot console pressing Alt, IIRC)

Now enter the interactive mode and run the s-s like this:
set interactive on
execute s:startup-sequence

then you can press Enter on each line and see if they are executed fast or not.
(Esc to exit the interactive mode and continue)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I'm assuming here that your network is set to use DHCP. If this is the case, when the network interface is initialising, it is trying to connect to the DHCP server to get an IP address. If the network is down for any reason, the ethernet driver will be delayed while it tries to get a responce from the DHCP request.

Try setting your network to static IP addresses and see if the situation changes.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It did this two times but no problems since then. It's hard to test anything when this behaviour is random and rare. These kind of random problems are most likely hardware related I guess.

Quote:
I'm assuming here that your network is set to use DHCP

Yes.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
It did this two times but no problems since then. It's hard to test anything when this behaviour is random and rare. These kind of random problems are most likely hardware related I guess.

Quote:
I'm assuming here that your network is set to use DHCP

Yes.

It's possible it maybe hardware related, I would certainly, and do myself, go down the static IP address route, it makes my network so much faster to initialise. TBH unless you move your machine around from network to network, or you have a hundred machine LAN, I can't really see the benefit of DHCP.

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

hemm, try unplug some thing and check c:DumpDebugBuffer
and check your ATA settings in UBOOT.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere