Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 156

orgin, walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 17 »
Re: Filer alpha, from OpenAmiga.org
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
About two man years of suggestions in this thread alone.

I hope people realize that this is a spare time project.

I'm sure those who want a souped up super, do it all and then some more, file manager will be able to buy Magellan in due time.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

We all know about magelane and so on. For first looks it was just like you want make a replacement for dopus. Sorry if some of us misundestood what mean phrase "Testing, suggestions etc are welcome" :)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@HammerD

"-directory navigation - back, forward, up level?
-does it have a drop down list or history of recently visited directories?"

On the todo list, parent folder is available using the second button from the left.

"-can you change the view mode of the icons (list/thumbnail/etc?)"

Nope, I will continuously investigate what is feasible without patching the system. If someone has some example code for reading an Icon image and scale it to a fixed size struct Image then I'd be happy to take a look at it. An example for how to read an image using the datatype system and copy it to a fixed size struct image would also be appreciated.

Currently the Listbrowser supplied with OS4.x does not support an icon view mode (that is a matrix of icons), but only a list of nodes.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

"1. Datestamps, possibilty to display the actuall date rather than today / yesterdate etc, and more importantly the time as well."

I'll see what I can do further on. The current display uses amigaos functions that localize themselves, doing that with a custom date function may not be as easy.

"2. Progress requester. When copying large numbers of files / directories would be nice to have an overall progress as well as an individual file progress. (having said that I found you can scroll the destination filer to have a look see., which is good)"

Could be done further down the line, just remember that that would slow down things down a bit since it would have to recursively scan sub directories to find out how many files are going to be copied (same for delete/move) before starting the actual operation. A compromise could be to just use the number of selected entries and not scan into the directories.

"3 Displaying directory content sizes would be nice."

Just remember that that would slow things down considerably since there's no support in amigaos for finding out how much a directory (and sub directories) contain without recursively scanning each directory and sum up all file sizes.

"Also volume content in the title bar perhaps. I just found myself using the workbench window to watch the spare room on the drive whilst doing some cleanup using the filer."

Should be easy to add.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

1. Dates... I see what your saying WRT to localisation, the more important aspect for me, would be time of file creation, if I'm coding or webdesigning I'm frequently comparing file creation time to make sure I'm working with the most recent file....

2 . Scanning into direcories would probably be overkill I agree, the compromise you mention is all you get with DOpus,,,,

3 . Perhaps displaying on demand? A la DOpus4

Thansk again for you work on this.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

"1. for sure need add somethink like navigate by keyboard. I mean cursor, which can be moved by UP/DOWN and go into directory or run file by ENTER key."

Just remember that the cursor keys are use for other stuff now. So this would have to be 'yet-another-optional-feature'.

"Maybe add somethink like "." and ".." for easy navigate (i know, many of amigans think that its bad, becouse dos/windows blablab, but for sure, its not windowses features, its user friendly ones)."

Should be easy to do, as long as it's fine that it's just the first entry in the listbrowser that becomes the ".." and it scrolls out of the window like any other entry.

"2. somethink which will be allos easy back to previos directory. For dopus4 it was pressing on border of current window, for latest FileMater its some configurable key. Somethink like back to previous directory by pressing left mouse button will be alot speedup usage/work with filler."

I've previously looked into detecting mouse clicks. If it's possible to detect left mouse clicks in the left border without patching workbench then I will add it.

"3. drag and drop support.
I read that some problems with it (somethink cant work with it?). If author in interest to make powerfull tool in end, need to add it for sure somehow."

Unfortunately amigaos does not support application to application drag&drop. Adding this without support in the OS may not be feasable or require some kind of hack or OS patching which I'm reluctant to do. Should Hyperion add application initiated drag&drop in the future then it'll be the first thing that I add support for.

I'm always looking for system friendly ways to do this between two separate applications though so if anyone has a solution I'm happy to take a look at it.

"4. it is possible to configure filler, to have dopus4 looks (2 windowses and just works beetwen). Copies/movies/delete files/dirs with progress status and so on."

Nope, use source/destination for that. The whole point of this application is that you don't need two lister (like magellan) fields so it won't be added.

"5. When you press button up to directory back, its stop on root of filesystem. But for sure, it must be up to show all partitions, devices, etc (like again, with dopus4,filemaster and any others)."

It's done like that by design, and the root view button is not very far away anyway. But I could add the possibility to configure it.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

"We all know about magelane and so on. For first looks it was just like you want make a replacement for dopus. Sorry if some of us misundestood what mean phrase "Testing, suggestions etc are welcome" :)"

Just making sure that people understand what they could expect. Life was easier when you didn't have your own family with wife/kids/house/work to take up your time.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

"1. Dates... I see what your saying WRT to localisation, the more important aspect for me, would be time of file creation, if I'm coding or webdesigning I'm frequently comparing file creation time to make sure I'm working with the most recent file...."

Okey, I'll look into adding time.

"2 . Scanning into direcories would probably be overkill I agree, the compromise you mention is all you get with DOpus,,,,"

Okey, shouldn't bee too hard to add.

"3 . Perhaps displaying on demand? A la DOpus4"

Yeah that could be a solution. Magellan had a real time scanning , but I always found that to be more of a nuisance when you didn't need to know the sizes (which is most of the time anyway).

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @orgin

I'm sure those who want a souped up super, do it all and then some more, file manager will be able to buy Magellan in due time.
No, not really. I always liked the 'Conqueror' in linux. The browser/file manager is a powerful tool. I like to explore file management in Python.
I hope people realize that this is a spare time project.
I appreciate your artistic/programming efforts in this project. OK?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

I just remembered what item 4 should have been.

When the Delete Error, request with the cancel / force etc options comes up it ought say what the rror is if possible, to allow a informed decision on attempting to force.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

Yeah I'll add the IOErr text there when I localize.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

there is a nice sollution to the cursor key navigation issue.
you seem to have missed my suggestion earlier?

Quote:
another very handy feature dopus magellan had was: if you press spacebar, you get a small arrow to the left of the filenames (the names gets pushed one char to the right), and you can navigate with the cursor keys and enter dirs with enter. enter on a file takes action on given file. very neat.

ignore the arrow... this could be solved by just marking the line.... let me rephrase it:

another very handy feature dopus magellan had was: if you press spacebar you enter key navigation mode, you can then navigate with the cursor keys and enter dirs with enter. enter on a file takes action on given file. very neat.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Currently the Listbrowser supplied with OS4.x does not support an icon view mode (that is a matrix of icons), but only a list of nodes.

I think you can do it using icon.datatype. Or use a rendering hook.

@spotUP
Quote:
you can then navigate with the cursor keys and enter dirs with enter

Or like in Workbench. Use RAMIGA+O instead of ENTER.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

"I think you can do it using icon.datatype. Or use a rendering hook."

I think you may have misunderstood. I was talking about a two dimensional display of items (matrix). The standard listbrowser only has two modes a list or hierarchical, both one dimensional. Displaying a two dimensional array would require a new sub class or somesuch.

I was not talking about how to load images.

Edited by orgin on 2009/4/17 6:26:06

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Updated the task list with suggestions from this thread, let me know if I missed something.

http://openamiga.org/index.php?function=viewcomments&threadid=30

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

I was changeing my original long post so many times and it was late so I made that post in the end which is too short. You misunderstood me too. But I tested my idea and it's not practical solution eventually anyway. (F.ex. when selecting anything from a list it shows the whole row selected instead of a single cell. It's too slow when using a rendering hook and setting up those hooks is a little bit complicated...) So forget what I said.

PS. I've tested a virtual.gadget to handle icon mode of a drawer long time ago but virtual.gadget was too slow for this purpose.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

A couple more feature requests for when Filer is iconified:
1) Use the Filer icon when iconified.
2) Use (at least the first part of) the Path (Window Title) as the name under the iconified Filer icon.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@PEB

Make 2 use at least the 'last part' .... Else all your iconified filers will for example say "Work:..."

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@broadblues

I see your point, but I'd ask for it to be configurable then. Personally, I would prefer having the start of the path because I usually have one Filer set on "SYS:", another on "Ram:", and another on "Work:"; so it would be helpful for me to be able to tell which one is which when they are all iconified.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@PEB

I see your point too.

Whilst drowning poor Orgin in enough feature requests to sink the titanic, here another one.

Per Directory snapshotting: Could be implemted via tooltypes set in the directory icon. say FILER_X FILER_Y FILIER_W FILER_H or in a file .filer saved in the directory (maybe bit too unixy that way). Both those tecniques avoid the need to search through a list of preferences.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 17 »