Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 »
Re: Filer, from OpenAmiga.org
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

Not a bug, I omitted handling it on purpose.

Not all file systems supports these flags and there isn't a clear indication on how this should be handled in AmigaOS. For example, when copying a file the file should not retain the same group/user permissions as the original file, it should probably have more permissions that the original file. In essence the file should change ownership to the current user. If the original file was write protected, it's not natural that the copy is as well.

A few more examples:

- Moving a file from a partition that supports them to another that don't and then back.

- Copying or moving a file from a samba share or ftp site (ftp mount), then the host system has user and group settings that are most likely not relevant locally

If someone wrote up a specification on how these flags should be handled on AmigaOS in all thinkable and unthinkable situations then I'd be happy to implement them. Note that the specification must be generic since I won't write special code for specific file systems, the Filer only sees devices/assigns/directories and files regardless of the underlying file systems.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Okay, unimplemented feature then

Whilst I can't begin to write such a spec, in the absense of one I suggest that you follow the pattern set by the existing file copying utilities.

The default's for any system are C:COPY and Workbench

C:COPY appears to copy all protection bits by default and has the NOPRO swicth which ignores all protection bits setting -r-w --- --- in the destination file.
Workbench copies all protection bits unaltered, if there an option to change that I can't find it.

DOpus4 has aswitch in the settings to switch on or off copying of protection bits. I have this on (not sure if it's the default)

DOpus5 on my a1200 always copied protection bits, I particularly remember that it's FTPmount equivalent would preserve them when copying to the ftp server, which is a much missed aspect of FTPMount that requires me to use ftp (the prgram) to upload CGI scripts.

All seem to discard the user and group id settings though, (which means I have to remember to set the user to 1000 for any file I want to access correcty from linux )

Here the output from ls -l for a set of copies

-rwxrwxr-x  1 root 1000  366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root wheel 366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl_dopus
-rwx------  1 root wheel 366 2009-06-18 10:49 where.pl_copy_nopro
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root wheel 366 2009-06-18 09:51 where.pl_copy
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root wheel 366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl_copy_clone
-rwx------  1 root wheel 366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl_dopus_po
-rwx------  1 root wheel 366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl_filer
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root wheel 366 2005-12-06 12:00 where.pl_workbench

So if you don't know how to handle it as the default could you make copying user / groups protection bits a user option (much as COPY or DOpus4)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

"Okay, unimplemented feature then"

No it was a conscious choice inside the permission copying code. I just didn't know whether those flags was actually used/required by any application.

workbench/copy/dopus4/dopus5 etc

Why copy erroneous and/or inconsistent behavior? ;)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
DOpus5 on my a1200 always copied protection bits, I particularly remember that it's FTPmount equivalent would preserve them when copying to the ftp server, which is a much missed aspect of FTPMount that requires me to use ftp (the prgram) to upload CGI scripts.

I don't have time to work on FTPMount currently but any feedback is good to take. Can you elaborate on this please ? I'm note sure what you miss in FTPMount that an ftp client is offering you. BTW FTPMount has a bugtracker
here please feel free to add remarks there.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

53.26 uploaded.
I tried to use 'Find' and got a grim reaper. It didn't matter if a file existed or not.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Snuffy

I need more details than that. Find works just fine here.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Found it, thanks

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

"Okay, unimplemented feature then"

No it was a conscious choice inside the permission copying code. I just didn't know whether those flags was actually used/required by any application.

Fair enough. I think few "pure" amiga applications will take any notice of the user / groups permsisions at present as we don't have a multiuser evironment in the windows / unix sense. But may unix ports will, I know perl gets upset if T: doesn't have completely open permisions (drwxrwxrwx in unix terms) and the thing that led me to discover this behaviour was that blender check of S_IXOTH in the call to stat when looking for yafray and so once I'd copied yafray to it's final destination with filer blender could not longer see it. (I've fixed that in blender, but I'd bet many other apps do a similar thing) gcc creates all amiga apps with the equivalent of chmods 755.

Quote:

workbench/copy/dopus4/dopus5 etc

Why copy erroneous and/or inconsistent behavior? ;)

. Dopus#? may be considered broken but I would hope that COPY and Workbench might be considered refrence implmentations....

The upshot is that I think having the option to copy user/group file permisions were they exist would make filer considerably more helpful to developers having to work with posix based tool chains.

As an aside from that I just recopied my SDK using C:COPY and it didn't copy any of the links, so I still had a broken SDK! Seting COPYLINKS created new files rather than links at the destinations, which works but is less desirable. Looks like the only way to move the sdk easily is to archive it with tar or maybe lha and unpack it in the new destination!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin #266

Crash log for task "Filer"
Generated by GrimReaper 52.7
Crash occured in module kernel at address 0x012401D0
Type of crash: DSI (Data Storage Interrupt) exception
DSI Status (dsisr) : 0x42000000
Data Address (dar) : 0x6AA7DFF0
Symbol info:
Instruction pointer 0x012401D0 belongs to module "kernel" (HUNK/Kickstart)
System information:
Model: Motorola MPC 7441/7451 Vger V2.1 CPU speed: 800 MHz FSB speed: 133 MHz
Extensions: performancemonitor altivec
Machine:
Machine name: AmigaOne Memory: 262144 KB
Tasks:
Background CLI [Filer] (Crashed)
Stack: 0x6aa7e004 - 0x6aa82ffc, pointer @ 0x6aa7e020 (Cookie OK)
Signals: SigRec 0x00000100, SigWait 0x94000100
State: Process (Crashed)

What is 'Background CLI'?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Snuffy

That tells me nothing.

You have to provide the whole crash log. (like on crashlog.os4depot.net).
You have to run the debug version or the information in the crash log won't help.
You have to describe exactly what you are trying to do. What you have selected, what buttons you click on, in what order, file system used, what the file system structure looks like and so on.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

What you think about adding "leave out" option ? Today miss it a bit, and becouse of it again open these Wb windowses , try to found my icon, and do "leave out" by wb.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

I'll see if it's supported by the workbench API.

Edit: Checked the wb and icon API's, I couldn't find any way to leave out an icon from an application.

Edited by orgin on 2009/6/20 14:52:34

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

How do you open a filer from the shell at the current directory?

The following doesn't work...

5.Programing:Projects/openexr_viewers-1.0.1/exrdisplaysys:Utilities/Filer/Filer PATH ""

I imagine it's the empty string causing the problem, but how else do you indicate current directory in amigaos path semantics?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

sys:utilities/Filer/Filer "`cd`"

Where CD is in backticks does the trick....

(Execuse me for talking to myself ... :^))

[edit]
Need to add quotes for Ram Disk:
[/edit]

[edit again]
If you use it as am alias in S:Shell-Startup like so

alias "sys:utilities/Filer/Filer *"`CD`*" "

The backticks get replaced at execution of S:Shell-Startup, and thus end up with Workbench: harcoded into the alias.

Anyone know how to delay the back-tick substitution till the alias is invoke from the shell?

[edit]
Got there at last! Quote the back ticks

alias "sys:utulities/Filer/Filer *"*`cd*`*" "
[/edit]

So the final thing added to my shell-startup is

alias fcd "run >NUL: <NIL: sys:utuilities/filer/filer *"*`CD*`*" "

Edited by broadblues on 2009/6/20 22:01:39
Edited by broadblues on 2009/6/21 13:23:49
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

Comment left on the bugtracker

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
I don't think you need an API to leave-out icons, as the "left out" files just have their paths listed in a special plain text file at the root of the volume.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ChrisH

I know. However directly modifying undocumented(?) system files are usually not a very good idea.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
I would have agreed if the data format was even slightly complicated, but it is so simple (and unchanged since at least OS3.0) that I don't see the problem: Implementing it would be pretty easy, and if it DOES change then little work will have been lost.

I guess someone could also submit an API proposal to Hyperion... And one could even write a library with that functionality, if you were scared of being future-proof, although I feel that would be unnecessarily complex - better to implement the API internally & just remove the implementation when/if Hyperion added it to OS4.

You could even argue that the data format *is* the API, and Hyperion simply need to document it!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

thank you, can you provide me with a crash log you are mentioning ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @orgin

That tells me nothing...
You have to describe exactly what you are trying to do. What you have selected, what buttons you click on, in what order, file system used, what the file system structure looks like and so on.

'MP3s' = directory of 100 mp3s. I'm not using buttons!
Highlight the DIR in Filer and MENU > FIND "#?Dreams#?"
This returns a couple files --OK, but if go up a directory level, then FILER does GRs. ?
So. if I highlight all dirctories that don't have sub directories, FIND works OK. ?
It sounds like 'recursive directory search' has bug or wasn't engineered to work like the other file managers do. Which? If you got a better way to find a song in FILER, please do tell.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 »