Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmigaOS4.1 update 5 bug.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
djrikki: Yep, non-blocking menu is a stunt of sorts.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoSCoW_Method

This is most likely a SHOULD or COULD, It's not a show stopper.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
As we are here reporting all of that "not so-easy-boring-to-reproduce" bugs can i add another one into the list ?

Have you ever tried to drag (not using cut and paste but just dragging with the mouse) folders from a partion to another ?

Here it's not rare to see the Workbench completely freezed, when this happen the OS will not respond at further input, mouse works but you can't click on other part nor open other windows/program at all!

For what i see this problem happen only with folder (not single files) and exactly when you drag them from a partition to another ...

A typical example in real life:

- Downloading an LhA file on RAM DISK:
- Exctracting the archive in RAM --> Now you have your folder
- Drag the folder from RAM DISK: to --> for example Work: partition

Before ask i don't know how to reproduce the issue and problem is not always here, all i know is that it happen from time to time and when happen i need to reset my Amiga = very very boring.

Edit: Posted also on the Hyperion forum

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1304

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Strange that's how I install my programs.

Do you drag it to partition icon, or a open window, or to sub directory?

What type of file system do you use on the partition you drag too, and what type device driver do you use?
When did you start getting this problem?
Do do you think its a intuition freeze? and way?

Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/9/21 9:51:14
Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/9/21 9:51:46
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
id rather new features were given more priority rather than dedicating time fixing 'bugs' for users turning stuff off that there is no reason to turn off - composition and non-blocking menus being two of those.

Turning off compositing is very helpful when you have only 64MB of video RAM (e.g. original Sam440) and absolutely essential if you only have 32MB of video RAM (MicroA1) or lower (Classic Amiga running OS4.1).

I only have Compositing enabled on my Workbench screen, with it disabled on all other screens. I did this for my Sam440, and didn't bother to change it for my X1000 (which shares exactly the same settings). I don't even really see the point of Compositing on custom screens, since they rarely have enough windows that semi-transparency is useful.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Frankly, I find transparency a distraction and a waste of time and computing power. I have it turned off all the time.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Do you drag it to partition icon, or a open window, or to sub directory?

In general to an already open window

Quote:
What type of file system do you use on the partition you drag too, and what type device driver do you use?

I use SmartFileSystem as filesystem and sii3114ide.device as device
My Amiga is a Sam440ep Flex 800

Quote:
When did you start getting this problem?

Long ago, however as i said problem in not always reproducible

Quote:
Do do you think its a intuition freeze? and way?

Because all the programs around still works normally, for example if i have a browser opened (not iconified) i can continue to browse the web, listen music, change song on TuneNet and so on ... only the Workbench are freezed

When it happen i can't:

- Using context menu, RMB on Workbench does nothing
- Deiconify applications that was iconified become impossibile
- Open new folders with the usual double click does not respond
- Open Workbench menus does nothing aswell
- Icons on AmiDock are not cliccable

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Please note that this freeze happened while I was still using AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4.

I had a similar system freeze while I was doing backups before installing AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5. I copied some folders over to my backup partition and 3 USB sticks. My system froze up solid on the copy to the last USB stick.

I thought I somehow confused the system by using the same USB port for each USB stick, but worked fine next time I followed the same steps.

A few more details ...
I have 3 USB sticks, one is formatted as FFS2, one is standard USB stick format, the third is an HCSD card which plugs into a SD-to-USB adaptor. I plugged in the first one, copied the files, unplugged, plugged in the second one in the same USB port, copied the files, unplugged, plugged in the third one in the same USB port, copied the files and the system froze.

I was not able to duplicate the freeze up. Worked fine next time I followed the same steps.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2012/9/25 0:19:34
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Redfox

Very Interesting, so i'm not the only one.
I'm talking right now with Ssolie, maybe you can help me tracking down this issue with him ?

Follow this link:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1304

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw Quote:
Frankly, I find transparency a distraction and a waste of time and computing power. I have it turned off all the time.

I have disabled transparency for inactive windows, but still use it for windows that are being moved/resized. It is actually useful to be able to see behind such windows.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TonyW

Yes transparency is distraction, I turn off transparency, but keep Compositing on, Compositing can accelerate things so its useful, I'm thinking about using more composting in future in all my applications.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TonyW

Generally the problem I have whit composting is that, you can ether apply it on the window, but then stuff that you do not wont to be transparency also get transparent like text and icons. (The application might be useful when developing applications or when your looking for bugs.)

On the other hand you might create a alpha clip and apply it to window, but this means you need draw every thing two times, once on the alpha clip and once on window, and you can't change the content on alpha clip because this will distort the window content, so it has be redrawn also.
Yes this has to be a hidden AmigaOS4 update 4 or 5 bug, (and an other thing I don't think this is going to work well if windows is supposed to resize.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

But back to your problem maybe its possible to make app (watch dog) that suspends the task that has bitmap lock for too long, and and then unlocks the bitmap, the app (watch dog) might also report what was task responsible for this. The app (watch dog) might be useful when developing applications or when your looking for bugs.

It is possible to check if this is picasso96 / intuition lockup, simple by opening a shell

newshell tcp:8080

so when you have lockup you can try open putty and connect to your Amiga, if you can connect to your Amiga then your Amiga did not compliantly crash.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Problem is that it's all quite random here, so you can't do easily any pre-planned test, for example even today i got a similar issue (not exactly the same but very similar)

I didn't be able to erase a folder using the contextmenu, the mouse pointer was stalled.

I did a soft reset to try a dumpdebugbuffer command (to catch the output) but the machine won't boot .. again it was stalled forever to the boot logo .. :-/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have added a comment to the thread on the support forum.

Please note that this freeze happened while I was still using AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4.

Unfortunately, I cannot recreate the system freeze that I encountered that night. Perhaps there was something else happening at the same time as I was dragging my backup directory from my backup partition on my hard drive to my USB sticks. I don't recall having any programs running other than whatever programs the system uses to do its functions.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2012/9/25 0:20:37
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)