Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Hypex, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: reaction or MUI based installer utility
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
http://openamiga.org would be happy to host such a project if there's an interested developer.

And a bounty could be set up for it on amigabounty.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

orgin wrote:
http://openamiga.org would be happy to host such a project if there's an interested developer.

I'd grab it this minute but sadly, my Sam has died

Edited by trixie on 2011/9/12 18:57:18
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have created a project on openamiga.org if anyone wants to have a look.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Nbache

Ah cmon, if an installer attachs a program icon to the AmiDock its really not hard work to remove it if you really don't want it to be there.

By default this should be standard practice, take a look at Apple's App-Store, download and installation is non-interactive and seamless.

I've already contemplated adding such a feature in Jack, it can do the download part and (if present) open the Installer, but after some investigation its just not feasible to add the icon into the AmiDock as there are too many issues surrounding this. The main issue being synchronicity.

Like stated above - it should really be part of the Installer process and ALL applications (understandably not guides, docs, libraries or minor utilities) should be encouraged to do this.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki:

If your future applications would do this as default, I would most likely never install them. Why? I dont like any program messing up my very personal dock by spreading dock icons all around and in between.

First, AmiDock is very flexible by the subdocky concept. If any applications want to install their icons there, where to put them? In the "Extras" subdock? Main dock? Coder dock? How large shall it grow, if somebody uses many, many applications, but only few of them frequently?

Second, some people use a very personal style, even for the dock. You would make them unnecessary work in removing or re-arranging their dock, if your application messes with it. Depending on the number of dock icons and subdock-depth, its not that easy to remove an icon every time an application installs its icon somewhere.

Its much more easier for the user to throw the application icon in his dock by hand, if he really needs it there. Its just drag and drop. No messing around with the AmiDock preferences. Or tick the appropriate option of the installer script, if asked for, this is just one mouse click.

If possible, never prescribe, how a user wants an application being installed. We had that for ages with Windows, and it was found being bad. I dont understand why it should be better now, as Apple does it with its AppStore-thingies.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@derfs

Opened it, now you need to find dev(s) for it :)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well, I don't know if it really qualifies (since it's OS3-orientated), but last night I laid the GUI foundations on an installer script generator in MUI called "InstallerGen" :) Already run into a small issue, and not sure if it's my code or the new MUI updates, but I'll investigate and keep you all posted...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
Well, I don't know if it really qualifies (since it's OS3-orientated), but last night I laid the GUI foundations on an installer script generator in MUI called "InstallerGen" :) Already run into a small issue, and not sure if it's my code or the new MUI updates, but I'll investigate and keep you all posted...

have a look at the guidelines on openamiga.org as i dont see a problem if you are happy with them

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@derfs, Daedalus

Quote:

have a look at the guidelines on openamiga.org as i dont see a problem if you are happy with them

I think MUI will be a problem. AFAIK all GUI-driven OpenAmiga.org projects are bound to use ReAction.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
as yes, my mistake. i dont know why i missed that :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yup :/ I'm using AmiBlitz for it, and so MUI or GadTools are the two real options for me at the moment. If someone else comes up with a nice ReAction library for AmiBlitz then I'd be all too happy to use that instead...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@whose Quote:
@djrikki:

If your future applications would do this as default, I would most likely never install them. Why? I dont like any program messing up my very personal dock by spreading dock icons all around and in between.

First, AmiDock is very flexible by the subdocky concept. If any applications want to install their icons there, where to put them?

This should be a non-problem: AmiDock already allows you to specify which dock AppDockies should appear in. Logically this should also be used for program icons which are added by installers, although I don't know if this is currently the case.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
This should be a non-problem:AmiDock already allows you to specify which dock AppDockies should appear in. Logically this should also be used for program icons which are added by installers, although I don't know if this is currently the case.

I have my program icons and my dockies/running applications in two separate docks, so I'd have to disagree.

Any installer should not be adding icons to AmiDock without asking first (and preferably asking which dock to add to too).

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Okay, it's starting to take shape :)

Resized Image

While I'm at it though, see the labels and string gadgets on the right? Each pair is a separate group - does anyone know how to get them to aligh with the group above or below without using MUIA_FixWidth?

I know I could put them in in one big group, but that doesn't seem to work when I dynamically remove them...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus

Are you using a standard ListView or NListview? I think NListview.mcc is a bit more flexible than the standard MUI listview.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
Are you using a standard ListView or NListview? I think NListview.mcc is a bit more flexible than the standard MUI listview.

I'm using NListView for it, but the layout issue I have is to do with standard MUI objects on the right of the list, not the list itself.

I'm also thinking of switching back to the standard ListView since there's a peculiar bug that I can't squash that is related to using NList and cycle gadgets. The better usability will make up for the lack of prettiness I reckon...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If it's a bug in NListView, it might be worthwhile to submit a bug report on the NList bug tracker.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nlist-classes/

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yeah, I'll have to pin it down more tightly before I can be sure - I'm coding in AmiBlitz and it could just as easily be a bug in the AB implementation or calls. I'll try a few more things and see how it goes...

In other news, loading and saving projects works now

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

djrikki wrote:

Ah cmon, if an installer attachs a program icon to the AmiDock its really not hard work to remove it if you really don't want it to be there.

Ah cmon, ts really not hard work to add an applications icon to Amidock if you do really want it there. The user should control this, not a software installer.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »