Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Undelete Options using JXFileSystem4 4.34
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L Quote:
I was worry about the .recycled fdrawer growing too much

The .recycled drawer takes zero space.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Ya'll mad as each other

You are all basically talking about what you want to talk about and colinw is obsessed with my need to find a backup solution?????????????

I won't be returning to this thread nor ask for help in this manner again... LOL

In 1986 when I first started using the Amiga I was the help... so it is with great excitement that I once again return to this total simplicity... I will solve this myself...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Have you tried RawDisk?

Rex

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rex

It can't help him since he doesn't know the filesystem structure.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer
Sorry we don't meet your high standards.... but no one is offering you any solutions, since THERE ARE NONE (that I know of, unless you know JXFS's advanced filingsystem structure). So all we have left to talk about is side issues.

edit: I am assuming that Sys:Utilities/PartitionWizard does not have a Salvage mode for JXFS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thread

You might call me mad or paranoid but that's exactly the kind of stories that makes me stay with FFS2 since I have a HardDisk on my Amiga (1992 IIRC) FFS never let me down and never lose anything that I can't recover.

It might be slow, it might be old, it might prevent me from storing DVD images but at least my data are safes. Unless JXFS receives a decent (reliable) repair tool I will go on like this (is it still a good idea to switch to it as Joerg recently seemed to at least take distance from AOS dev, at most completely give up ).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Thanks tony, I was just suggesting he could make a copy that he could play around with. But since i'm mad I wont bother.

Rex

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
You might call me mad or paranoid but that's exactly the kind of stories that makes me stay with FFS2 since I have a HardDisk on my Amiga (1992 IIRC) FFS never let me down and never lose anything that I can't recover.

I've lost some data trying to recover a FFS partition with Partition Wizard. Making backups from and to FFS partitions is painful because it's so slow. But making backups from and to JXFS on a second hard drive is not painful at all. A complete mirror of a partition is always much more safer and better than trying to recover something with recovery tools.

Quote:
Joerg recently seemed to at least take distance from AOS dev

I hope this is not true.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rex

Hey, don't get offended. If Slayer (or any of us) knew the contents of a JXFS disk, it would be a good idea, but we don't. Even if random searching of a multi-gigabyte text file found some strings from his data, we wouldn't know how to reconstruct a file from them.

Joerg has produced the FS as a free contribution to AmigaOS, and as such it is his baby. There is nothing that any of us can do to help Slayer.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I think HammerD had the closest solution.
Slayer, if you can contact Joerg, see if he can make some tool in turn for some cash, and I'll donate some dollars to it.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban Quote:

Nah, I stopped using FFS in probably 1992 or so, and have never looked back. First PFS/AFS, which was lightning fast compared to terrible FFS, and then more recently SFS, it's spiritual open-source replacement.

SFS supports data recovery (Salvage) using PartitionWizard, so no worries there, plus it has a .recycled folder with recently deleted files. If you decide to disable the .recycled folder, then you are of course taking your "life" in your own hands, and should expect to live with the consequences.

But whatever filingsystem you use, the only SURE solution is to backup regularly. Most people (inc me!) don't bother to backup until they have already suffered at least one major data loss (or very nearly suffered in my case).

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)