Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 146

Gregor, geennaam, amig_os, flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 17 »
Re: Filer alpha, from OpenAmiga.org
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @orgin

1. Open two listers.

Doh! Thanks for info! Your 'Filer' project is looking better all the time!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Orgin

Does filer lock the workbench screen (or similar?)? The reason I ask is that when changing GUI prefs I get the "Intuition is trying to ... please close all non draw windows" type message until I quit Filer.

I deally the lock should only be held long enough to get the required info / ensure that the used info is still valid.

For example you only need to iconify AWeb to get past this Intuition message, not quit completely, as it only holds the screen lock whilst it uses the info, then releases it.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

I do IIntuition->LockPubScreen() to get hold of the struct Screen * that I need when loading images, setting/changing colors etc.

I suppose I could do UnLock when iconifying or just lock it when I need to.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Unlocking whilst iconifying would do it. As long as you remember to refresh all info gleaned from the screen when relocking, as the Workbench screen may have been closed and reopened in between times.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

I changed it to lock when there's info I need, such as allocating pens.

However reallocating pens when deiconifying after changing screen mode makes ObtainBestPen allocate more or less random colors.

For example, using a 32bit screen mode. Open a lister. Change mode to 16bit.

The filer is iconified by the wb. Once it's deiconified again by the wb I call ObtainBestPen to get new pens for the new screenmode. But the colors are allocated seemingly random.

If I force the filer to reload the colors manually or open a new lister they turn out just fine.

Do I need to add a delay when deiconifying? Or wait for something? Before trying to allocate new pens that is.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

Never mind the color problems, just realized that I didn't actually re-render the listbrowser contents .. ehrm ..

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

53.22 up

Both the main app and preferences are now fully localized. A new commodity
is also included that lets you start filer windows by double-clicking the
workbench background.

- Circumvent newer OS4.1 versions sending an extra mouse button event when
deiconifying the appicon.

- Fix all localization ()ToDo's

- Add error type (ioerr) on delete errors

- Create a commodity that can be used to launch new listers
Ability to select different mouse buttons for opening a lister
Only accept a double click on the actual workbench backdrop as a valid
request to open a lister.

- Make the Filer work properly when screen resolution changes

- Add parent lister icon

- Add german locale from Michael Merkel

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Go ! :) The one of the good programm in latest time. At moment use it all the time. For sure 'copy' think can be better (drag & drop), but classic amiga+c/amiga+v combo are good too.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

\o/

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Excellent update. Love the double click. At this rate you going to put the DOpus5 porters out of business

How did you solve the colour issues on screen change? I've notice one of my own Apps suffers from it too....

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

Just reallocate all your pens and redraw everything using them when deiconifying.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Okay thanks. I must just have oevrlooked something in my case then.

BTW occasionally I'm find that the double click commodity doesn't work until after I've open Exchange from it's hotkey. Both are started via WBStartup.

It doesn't happen on every boot, and it seems more likely after a hard reset.

[edits]
I wish I could type and spell at the same time...
[/edit]

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

Reuploaded 53.22 with a new German locale by Michael Merkel and a Spanish
locale by Javier de las Rivas.

No changes in binaries so if you don't need the new locales then there's no point in downloading.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @orgin #147

53.22 up
I found a useful 'user button' for the filer - Unrtf {f}. Cut & paste works fine for small files!
The CX Exchange function doesn't work to well. The IO input for the mouse LHB is a hit or miss thing. "Leave out" icon works for me.

Go to top
Re: Filer, from OpenAmiga.org
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

53.23 uploaded

- Open workbench drawer window by left doubleclick+left alt

- Add optional source/dest togglebutton

- Prefs: Add checkbox for optional source/dest togglebutton

- Add option for non amiga dopus style selection

- Display number of selected files and dirs

- Display total size of selected files

- Display number of files and dirs in current path.

- Display total size of files in current path

- Add ability to check size of directories

- Display device used space somewhere

- Prefs: Replace custom color chooser with getcolor gadget

- Prefs: Make sure all general settings can be defaulted

- Prefs: Add option for non amiga dopus style selection

- Prefs: Rearrange the general prefs layout

- Launcher: Fix possible stale window pointer issue

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Already test it, just cool :) A bit miss navigation by keyabord, but even without it's good already. Also it was nice to catch, that refresh of file list are auto and fast. I.e. i just open workbench window, run filer (and point it to the directory where i do manipulations), remove some directory or file in it, and Filer catch it in the same time and refresh list. Not need to wait, or do exit/enter to the directory for refresh.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
I only recently tried Filer, but it seems VERY promising - could well satsify my DOpus 5 cravings . I'm sure you have a to-do list as long as this thread, but personally speaking, the things I'd like to see, most-wanted first:

* File sizes always in bytes! Time with seconds! I can't live without this :(

* Right-clicking toolbar icons to get an alternative action. Especially Copy As (for Copy), Move As (for Move), and Duplicate (for Rename).

* Drag and drop, including between Workbench & Filer. A temporary partial-solution would be to make each Filer window an "app window" (I think they already are?), and treat (Workbench) files dropped on them as copy/move operations, and (Workbench) folders dropped on them as "change to this folder" - or open a menu offering various options...

* Keyboard shortcuts. Especially / for "go to parent folder", and - to "invert selection". Other possibilities: Amiga-R to rename.

* Activating a Filer window would make it the source, and the previous Filer window would become the destination, automatically.

* ALL the menu options being available as button commands. Nearly there I think...

BTW, I did not like the default colours, so I changed them to be the same as OS4.1's default theme. Although your latest update makes it much easier to set them how you want (no need for editing the XML file or a decimal to hex conversion!), I could still provide this file if it would help.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ChrisH

The task list is available here: http://openamiga.org/?function=viewcomments&threadid=30

"* File sizes always in bytes! Time with seconds! I can't live without this :("

Okey easy to add an option for that. Added to task list.

"* Right-clicking toolbar icons to get an alternative action. Especially Copy As (for Copy), Move As (for Move), and Duplicate (for Rename)."

Perhaps later, right clicking isn't supported by default in "reaction" GUI's so you have to do a few workarounds for detecting it (RMB Trap) and then write your own hook callback function for opening the window menu for the rest of the window. Plus it would require some major rewriting/redesigning of both the GUI itself and configuration. Adding (well rewriting rather than adding) this would have a very low priority at this point.

"* Drag and drop, including between Workbench & Filer. A temporary partial-solution would be to make each Filer window an "app window" (I think they already are?), and treat (Workbench) files dropped on them as copy/move operations, and (Workbench) folders dropped on them as "change to this folder" - or open a menu offering various options..."

Drag&drop isn't natively supported by "reaction" so I'm stuck on how to implement it. Being able to drag icons from workbench window is already planned.Well it's actually already implemented. I just haven't attached any specific function to it yet. The plan is to make the filer that you drag into copy the files/folders into the currently selected path.

I've submitted this to Hyperion. Hopefully something will come out of it in future os releases/updates.

"* Keyboard shortcuts. Especially / for "go to parent folder", and - to "invert selection". Other possibilities: Amiga-R to rename."

I have keyboard navigation on the task list, you'd have to try that out once implemented and see if it works for you. I don't want to have several different overall methods though. The downside of showing an app to the public before it is fully done is that people have wildly different ideas of how things should be done so you end up having a lot of personalized options (On teh verge of having a ChrisH checkbox, followed by a Mike_C checkbox etc). I have to find a balance to this without pissing off too many people. People need to realize at some point that they actually Can learn other ways to do things :)

"* Activating a Filer window would make it the source, and the previous Filer window would become the destination, automatically."

Not going to happen. Being a huge Magellan fan I was also used to this function, but it actually just confused the user more than helped. I can't remember how many times I managed to copy/move files to the wrong destination because it didn't change the way I had anticipated. At this point it's too much work to implement compared to the actual benefit. Try using the app for a while and you'll notice that it's not so bad to be without it after a while.

"* ALL the menu options being available as button commands. Nearly there I think..."

I want to keep it in line with the rest of the workbench, not inventing my own hot keys for common functions. I haven't found any good source of information for this though, any ideas where I can find an "amiga standard" list that matches certain actions with hot keys?

"BTW, I did not like the default colours, so I changed them to be the same as OS4.1's default theme. Although your latest update makes it much easier to set them how you want (no need for editing the XML file or a decimal to hex conversion!), I could still provide this file if it would help."

That's what the configuration is for ;) I have no idea what colors Hyperion might select for future themes, and reading the color prefs for the standard workbench lister mode is not an option either. It's a non documented binary file (iff actually iirc from my previous investigations) that may change contents in the future.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
Thanks for your detailed reply. I understand you can't please everyone or implement everything. Just a few thoughts:

Since right-click buttons are not do-able, could you please add some other way to Copy As, Move As & Duplication? e.g. Holding-down shift key while clicking the button. e.g. Additional buttons (not so ideal, but better than nothing). I really don't know how anyone can use Filer without these functions!

The keyboard shortcuts I suggested are standard DOpus5 ones... Of course the ideal solution is user-definable shortcuts, perhaps bound to particular buttons, but hard-coding them should be fine for the moment. P.S. I don't think there are ANY keyboard shortcut for the functions I mentioned, so I don't see how I can "learn other ways to do" them (mouse is sooooo slow).

Have you tried checking-out the Amiga User Interface Style Guide from Commodore? If that doesn't have standard Amiga shortcuts, then I suspect there is nothing official. But I'd stick to DOpus5 where possible, as that almost defined directory navigation on the Amiga.

MUI can't read the Workbench pref's colours, but that doesn't stop it coming with prefs that match OS4.1. Plus you could provide some "example" prefs files with Filer, for people who want to try other settings.

P.S. The idea of DropClip files for inter-app drag-and-drop seems quite clever.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/5/19 21:42:24
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Since right-click buttons are not do-able, could you please add some other way to Copy As, Move As & Duplication? e.g. Holding-down shift key while clicking the button. e.g. Additional buttons (not so ideal, but better than nothing). I really don't know how anyone can use Filer without these functions!

I have to agree. Copy as, Clone, and Move AS are essential!

At first sight you might think that Copy As, and Move As could be replaced by Copy then rename, but not if there is allready a file with the original name in the destination!

Duplicate / Clone just acn't be done without resorting to a temporary directory. This is a bout the only reason I'm occasionally revert to DOpus4 at the moment.

BTW. The new fuel guage returns the wrong usage for on of my partitions.

DH1: is 11G partition 92% in use, but the fuelguage shows -78%!

Can't see what different about that partition compared with the others that all work fine.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 17 »