Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Time to replace GIF?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I stumbled upon this project on Kickstarter: apngasm
and noticed the USD2500 pledge level:
Ports of our base APNG libraries and tools for the language/platform of your choice.
You/your company will be fully accredited. Please add SDK or development hardware
costs when applicable. Your choice of Open Source license.

This could be a chance to actually get a port done by someone outside the regular Amiga community and get some extra attention to our platform from people who do not know it still exists.

I posted a project proposal on AmigaBounty.net: http://amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=109

Go to top
Re: Time to replace GIF?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Wow, 2500$ in 26 days.
Anyway I bet they would not expect to develop this on a non-POSIX operating system I wonder if they would really do it.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Elwood

I don't see why not - standard C is pretty portable and OS4 is POSIXy enough for most things. It's only a library and some command line tools as far as I can tell - the sort of thing that has been ported to OS4 multiple times before with no or minimal changes.

It's all open source anyway, so I'd rather try and build it myself than hand over $2500 and another $1000 of computer for somebody else (not familiar to the platform) to do it!

edit actually I just noticed it says graphical tool, so there is quite a bit of work there. As it's open source and presumably needs to target Windows, then I'd guess they'd either use something like Qt, or abstract the GUI away from the rest of the code. If they use Qt then OS4 will be a breeze for them, otherwise I can see them struggling.

Hmm... I'd pay $2500 to get them to port it to a ZX81. If they can do it they've earnt the cash!

This is the troublesome bit, the rest should be a cinch:
Quote:
A cross platform graphical APNG authoring tool to assemble sets of images into APNG, complete with all the options found in the new library such as the ability to set delay for individual frames and real-time preview.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Pointless to port an authoring tool.

Port the apng library and implement a player / add support to a webbrowser or whatever theyre supposed to be used in.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
As hollywood 5 supports loading and saving APNG files it should be fairly easy for someone to knock up a graphical authoring tool with it.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post