Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

AMIGASYSTEM, sTix, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Update 3 - things that have changed... and things that have not
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

The auto-open/close screens seem to work correctly, however my own public screen does not (it is set up correctly with notification when the last window closes - it works fine with a normal visitor window).

I haven't checked, but I fully expect my initial CloseScreen() to still be returning that the screen has closed even though it hasn't.

So it looks like this bug has been worked-around somewhere and not actually fixed in Intuition (or Ringhio or whereever the fault lies)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood Quote:
Can you elaborate on these two? I don't understand what you mean.
Quote:
* After a reboot, DefIcons does not set the type of files left-out on the WB screen.

How can you check the type of the leftout icon?

If a file (such as a PDF) does not have a .info file, then DefIcon identifies the file's type & gives it a 'fake' icon (which for a PDF would allow reading it by double-clicking it).

But after a reboot the (left-out) file will have a 'blank' (white page) fake icon, so that it cannot be opened by double-clicking. This is a long-standing bug, which I understand is on Bugzilla...

Quote:

Quote:

DefIcons still does not support automated (Shell) merging of prefs files (or any Shell options at all).

This is NOT a bug, but rather a wish: It would be extremely useful for RunInUAE's installer (and probably some other installers) to be able to add some DefIcon filetypes for the user (since it is too complicated for most users to be expected to do using the Sys:Prefs/DefIcons GUI). For example ADF & DMS.

This means some kind of ability to modify the user's DefIcons prefs using the Shell. It seems to me that the easiest & most obvious way to do this is to allow the existing Sys:Prefs/DefIcons program to take one shell argument - an additional prefs file that will be merged into the user's current DefIcons prefs. Since the GUI already has this merge functionality, it should take about '5 minutes' to write the code needed to execute this functionality via the Shell!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
POSIX shell configure scripts used for compiling programs seem to no longer exhibit the "Device in use" (I can't remember the exact message) where it's unable to delete the conftest directories at a particular stage of most configure scripts.

Edit: These,

SDK:Local/C/rm: cannot remove directory `conftest': Is a directory
SDK:Local/C/rm: cannot remove directory `conftest.dir': Is a directory
SDK:Local/C/rm: cannot remove directory `conftest': Device busy
SDK:Local/C/rm: cannot remove directory `conftest.dir': Device busy

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
The auto-open/close screens seem to work correctly, however my own public screen does not (it is set up correctly with notification when the last window closes - it works fine with a normal visitor window).

I haven't checked, but I fully expect my initial CloseScreen() to still be returning that the screen has closed even though it hasn't.

So it looks like this bug has been worked-around somewhere and not actually fixed in Intuition (or Ringhio or whereever the fault lies)

I'm talking utter nonsense, having got confused with whether BCS was running or not, and also being in the midst of some other related changes, my testing was complete rubbish.

It works fine. It just happens to not work if you try to apply the signal to the screen "late", unless you happen to have forgotten that BCS is running.

So the workaround for one bug I've now had to workaround the workaround to get screens closing properly, but both bugs (one bug and one non-feature) are now worked around meaning everything is working.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Eh?

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:

POSIX shell configure scripts used for compiling programs seem to no longer exhibit the "Device in use" (I can't remember the exact message) where it's unable to delete the conftest directories at a particular stage of most configure scripts.

Edit: These,

Hopefully solved by a fixed version of JXFileSystem. All my partitions (including the one I use for Development) except for SYS: use JXFileSystem.

Currently as a workaround in order to be able to run configure scripts on OS4.1 without getting the above kinds of errors I have created a sparse VDI file formatted with FFS that I use for this purpose (as a side-effect of this I also get to test the VDI support in diskimage.device to see that it works as it should).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Hopefully solved by a fixed version of JXFileSystem. All my partitions (including the one I use for Development) except for SYS: use JXFileSystem.

Currently as a workaround in order to be able to run configure scripts on OS4.1 without getting the above kinds of errors I have created a sparse VDI file formatted with FFS that I use for this purpose (as a side-effect of this I also get to test the VDI support in diskimage.device to see that it works as it should).

Using SFS here. I'm guessing that unlike OS3 where you need to go into HDToolBox to update the filesystem, that on OS4 it's loaded automatically from Kickstart.

Edit: SFS wasn't updated in Update 3, so I don't know what part of Update 3 fixes it.

Previously, because I have KingCON which blocks more than the the regular shell does when you type a character in shell while it's doing something, when I anticipated the "conftest" errors, I blocked the script by typing garbage in the shell, then deleted the directory, then backspaced in the shell to let it continue, and that worked fine, and was better than doing nothing which can cause parts of the script to fail at later stages.

Looks like in KingCON, if you type something in the shell while it's busy, it'll block background processes too at the point where that process wants to write something to the shell. In standard shell, the process still does its thing and you simply see the flood of text when you backspace/remove the garbage you typed.

Example:

rx "say time(s);address command 'wait 1';say '';say time(s)"

In KingCON if you type garbage in the shell after it prints the time on the first line, the 3rd line will be whatever time it is after you backspace the text. In regular shell, the two times will be exactly 1 second apart.

Edited by MickJT on 2011/9/11 14:42:13
Edited by MickJT on 2011/9/11 14:44:52
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:

Using SFS here. I'm guessing that unlike OS3 where you need to go into HDToolBox to update the filesystem, that on OS4 it's loaded automatically from Kickstart.

Only reason you might ever have to go into HDToolBox or MediaToolBox to update a filesystem is if you put the filesystem binary into the HDD's RDB, which can only be done with M68k filesystems anyway, and is really only useful for Classic Amigas.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:

Edit the configure script.

Configure tends to compile tests as "conftest". However at certain points it creates a directory called "conftest".

Search for "mkdir conftest", change it to "mkdir conftest.dir" (same as several you would have passed on your search). Be sure to change the lines immediately above an below too, as they will both say conftest.

You will probably find two instances of this.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)