Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 29

MartinW, Hypex, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

BootRAD.adf
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I was toying with BootRAD.adf feature. I created a RAD disk and then copied files to it making minimum bootable system and then creating ADF from it. Then I made separate Kickstart dir for it (copying it there) and added it to original kicklayout as the second booting option. I was hoping to boot from that file trying to make booting few seconds faster but I couldn't make it to work. I got error messages on UBoot screen: "Failed loading file KickstartRAD/BootRAD.adf" and "Couldn't find file KickstartRAD/BootRAD.adf" even if that file is in that right dir.

So what was the original idea behind this BootRAD.adf feature ? And if anybody can give instructions how to use it correctly will be appreciated.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: BootRAD.adf
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
Where is BootRAD.adf documented? Never heard of it before.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

sys:Documentation/Kickstart/ramdrive_dev.doc

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK
Quote:
sys:Documentation/Kickstart/ramdrive_dev.doc

I believe that documentation is outdated and should have been removed from the documentation directory. There were a lot of problems, limitations and user complaints about the changed RAD drive system. In the end, the old pre-OS4 RAD drive was restored. You need to install RAD as described in OS3.x documentation. You should find a RAD DosDriver in SYS:Storage/DosDrivers which you can drag to SYS:Devs/DosDrivers and modify to the size you need.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK
In addition to some documentation that should be removed there has been some documentation lost. When "handler" documentation was removed from the SDK, not all of it was added to SYS:Documentation. I noticed the loss and retrieved the old docs from previous SDK releases and put them back in my current SDK.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Perhaps a nice comprehensive list of what is missing would be a good start for those that can change it, to do so...

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
Quote:
Perhaps a nice comprehensive list of what is missing would be a good start for those that can change it, to do so...

I'd need to check all my previous SDK's and OS4 releases to make a comprehensive list but I can list a couple of docs that I found missing in latest OS4 releases & SDK. They are:
NVGetVar.doc
con-handler.doc
textclip-handler.doc

Somewhere in the OS4 updates the file "textclip.l.main" disappeared but it was in the OS4 prereleases. I reported the missing handler docs on Forums. After reporting bugs and missing files for years without knowing if anyone who "can change it" saw my reports, I don't bother much anymore.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I used to always use RAD disks and even created huge RAD disks... just experiment, you'll figure it out...

I always did

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top

Register To Post