Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

[FIXED] Getting SAM (non-flex) to boot from DVD Drive
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've had this problem for a while and it's only become an issue since the new PCI Update for Sam440ep and Sam440ep-flex was release, which I downloaded and put onto a CD.

Whenever I try to boot from DVD I get the error "AOS4 FLB FLB: no SLB found in any of the designated boot sources; returning to u-boot."

This happens regardless of what option I select in the U-Boot Boot Select Boot Device menu, i.e. SII-4 SATA DVD, SII SATA DVD or SII PATA CDROM.

This happens regardless of the CDROM too, including the Amiga OS4.1 install CDROM.

In the recent past I did open up the SAM and check that the DVD drive was plugged into the correct SATA port on the motherboard, but I guess I need to check again. However, before I do this can someone advise on the correct options needed to boot from CDROM and/or suggest any other things I need to check/rule out.

The DVD drive works perfectly in Amiga OS4.1 and also I do recall booting successfully from CDROM at least once, cos I needed to reinstall the OS at one point about a year or more ago.

Edited by tommo1975 on 2010/12/4 20:20:40
Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Re: Getting SAM (non-flex) to boot from DVD Drive
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tommo1975

Did you burn a CD or DVD with the bootable option enabled?

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Phantom

I simply burned the pci-mini-update.iso to CD using Roxio 2010 on my PC. No option in the Disk Image Burn options to make it bootable.

However, I have exactly the same issue with the OS4.1 install CDROM too which is bootable.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tommo1975

Maybe you not have the DVD SATA ribbon plugged on the good SATA controleur.

Only SATA 1 and 4 allow to boot from the U-boot.

open a shell and type NVgetvar for checking your Uboot setting

Inside you should found: bootdevice=0:4

and to know the number of the SATA connectors on the motherboard, a solution is to check your Acube SAM manual (paper or PDF).

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tommo1975

I have the same problem, and Mrodfr has the answer.

You must put the SATA cable in the port J23, it's the down SATA conector in the left side of the first PCI slot.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

I've confirmed that my Optical drive is connected to the J23 connector and also that my hard disk is connected to the J20 connector, both of which I understand to be the correct connectors.

I did a quick test and swapped over the two SATA ports, plugging the DVD ROM drive into the port the HD was in and vice versa. This made no difference other than the DVD drive was listed first on the BIOS screen and the HD second (and also OS4.1 failed to boot, reverting to the floppy disk screen immediately following the Amiga OS4.1 boot image). I think this though rules out a fault with J23 port??

Entering the NVgetvar command in shell got me a load of output, the key lines (I think) were;

sii3114ide_conf=1002
sii3114ide_xfer=G000
menuboot_cmd=boota
boot1=s4iicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boot3=

Something that may be relevant is what the BIOS screen reports, but only if a CD is in the DVD drive. After detailing IDE Device 0: OK and detailing the hard disk type, support and capacity figures, it states "ATAPI_Issue : (no DRQ) after sending ccb (1b) status 0xd0"
It then goes on to detail my DVD drive maker, model etc. The above may be a red herring, but thought it worth mentioning!

I'm now considering swapping out the DVD drive for another one, but I'm 100% certain this one used to boot CDROM's (such as the OS4.1 CDROM) as I built the system myself rather than get OS4.1 pre-installed!

Edited by tommo1975 on 2010/12/4 19:39:27
Edited by tommo1975 on 2010/12/4 19:45:11
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Swapping out the DVD-RW drive in my SAM for a plain ordinary DVD drive resolved the problem. I installed U-Boot 1.3.1b and PCI update without a hitch after this.

I cannot begin to guess what caused the old drive to stop working in this way. I guess it will remain a mystery!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
hello,

sii3114ide_xfer=GGGG
boot1=s4sii
boot2=
boot3=
boota_timeout=3

I haven't sii3114ide_conf=1002 ,on my SAM var log ?

For me, only boot1 should be remplaced by the hd or the dvd because we replace HD boot by DVD boot on the Uboot.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top

Register To Post