Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SFS Partition Dead
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi,

Turned on the A1 tonight and my Comms partition is dead. It is an SFS partition.

I can set it not to automount in MediaToolbox which will stop the agonising delays at boot up.

I get a busy pointer which hands around for ages then the following message.

Resized Image

I have to click cancel.

I can then look at the partition in DOpus but as soon as I try to copy anything I get the busy pointer for another eternity and then the message again.

I don't want to delete or format the partition as there is a LOT of stuff on it I want to keep

Is there a way to repair this error, or at least reduce the endless delay so I can try and copy a few of the files to another partiton ?

Bill.

Go to top
Re: SFS Partition Dead
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sorry grabbed the last as an ILBM not a jpeg, never mind.

Anyway that requester is followed by this one.

Resized Image

Any SFS experts who can enlighten me as to what these errors are and can anything be done to fix them ?

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:
I don't want to delete or format the partition as there is a LOT of stuff on it I want to keep

No current backup?

Quote:
Is there a way to repair this error, or at least reduce the endless delay so I can try and copy a few of the files to another partiton ?

There is no tool to repair SFS partitions, but you can use the "Salvage" function of PartitionWizard which will copy the rescued files to another partition.

The error from the first requester is a device error, probably one or more bad sector(s) which can't be repaired automatically by the drive.
Using retry doesn't help since the error wont go away, but using cancel doesn't help either and causes the second requester, without the data from the unreadable sector(s) SmartFileSystem can't continue ...

If you don't get everything you need back with the PartitionWizard Salvage function I can build a special version of SFS which tries to ignore the error/missing information, but in any case some data is lost.
(Not the actual data, unless there are more problems, but the information where the data blocks of some files are stored on the HD. But that doesn't make much difference ...)

If you get everything back with PartitionWizard and want to reformat the partition you have to do a full format, with a quick format the bad sector(s) would stay and cause problems again. Only do that after verifying you really got back all important data, don't only check that all files are there, check the contents of the files as well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

No current backup?

I have all partitions backed up on a seperate HD. Unfortunately a lot of recent emails with holiday confirmations are on the current, now defunct, partition.

The backup is not that current, but at least I have a runnable system in the meantime.

Quote:

There is no tool to repair SFS partitions, but you can use the "Salvage" function of PartitionWizard which will copy the rescued files to another partition.

I am trying that, I do get a list and can save some files, but if I find just one that will not copy I get locked and have to reboot. The delay before the requester appears after mounting my duff partition makes this an extremely slow process

Quote:
The error from the first requester is a device error, probably one or more bad sector(s) which can't be repaired automatically by the drive.
Using retry doesn't help since the error wont go away, but using cancel doesn't help either and causes the second requester, without the data from the unreadable sector(s) SmartFileSystem can't continue ...

Thanks for the info. Retry seems not to help at all, cancel allows me to continue but with all the problems still there.

Quote:
If you don't get everything you need back with the PartitionWizard Salvage function I can build a special version of SFS which tries to ignore the error/missing information,

That would be extremely useful, as Partition Wizard seems to have helped me copy over only a few small files so far.

Quote:

If you get everything back with PartitionWizard and want to reformat the partition you have to do a full format,

Or scrap that area of the HD entirely and split another partition somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Must rush as I have to go to work in a few minutes.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't get everything you need back with the PartitionWizard Salvage function I can build a special version of SFS which tries to ignore the error/missing information,

That would be extremely useful, as Partition Wizard seems to have helped me copy over only a few small files so far.

For a start get this special version of diskcache.library.kmod, copy it into your SYS:Kickstart directory and do a cold reboot (<ctrl><alt><alt>). Depending on which sector(s) exactely is/are unreadable you may, or may not, be able to access more data on the broken partition.

Rename the old diskcache.library.kmod or copy it somewhere else to be able to restore it after you got your data back, with this special version everything is slower.

I've uploaded a special version of SFS as well now which doesn't do any retries on itself if there are errors, there are no other changes yet but that should at least speed up booting with the broken partition mounted for you.

Edited by joerg on 2007/1/29 18:51:26
Edited by joerg on 2007/1/29 18:53:20
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Cheers, I have renamed the old files and copied the new ones over and am about to restart my Amiga now.

Fingers crossed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

I'm listening with all ears!! This happened to me a year ago. Thank goodness i kept an CD backup of the partition.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Frigging MAGIC.

I know I will probably find files I cannot retrieve but am so far managing to recover a lot

More than enough to enable me to get what I want back.

I guess when finished it will be safer to go back to the usual diskcache.library.kmod and Smartfilesystem.

But for now it seems to e workning and working well. Very well. No delays and I can copy using DOpus - to a special folder as a lot of files may still be corrupt but at least I can copy them.

Cheers. You are God.

Bill.

Go to top
Re: SFS Partition Dead - SOLVED
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

I have done a lot of copying tonight, all seems OK so far

The duff partition is now unmounted again and the kickstart files restored to normal. I will keep both the duff partition and recovery kickstart files just in case I need to restore anything else.

Many thanks for the help. It saved my Miggy

Bill.

PS. All Amigans - Visit http://strohmayer.org/sfs/ and click on the Donate button, I just did

Go to top

Register To Post