Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Shared objects and OS4/classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I was not able to follow all the news over the last months but I remember that OS4 development for the classic (PowerUp-based) Amigas had stopped at some point?

Since OS4.1 it became more and more common to link your programs dynamically against shared objects, which is a great feature. But does anybody know whether the latest OS4 for classic Amigas supports it?

And is this a problem at all? I do not remember how official these OS4/classic versions were. How many OS4/classic users do exist? Is it enough to consider not using shared objects and to link statically to guaranteee compatibility with those earlier OS4 releases?

Go to top
Re: Shared objects and OS4/classic
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@phx

Imho, if there will be / was enough of classic ppc users, who want aos4, then, such questions will not have place. The answer for me pretty logical and clear: classic hardware are die for any future and developers not in interest to support it anymore (more or less, and not all of course, but mostly). For me it also logical , that for what spend time on die hardware, and on 10-20 users, when better spend their (developers) time, on something modern (more or less again), and which can be used in real life today not only for retro fan, but also for work/busines and alt.

Of course in general, its not that bad to have updated os4 for classic hardware, but, better add good resource tracking, smp, and more progressive memory protection to current state of aos4.1, because while any programm can crash the system, aos4 will be for all the world not more than only fan.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@phx

I don't think the classic release of OS4 has support for shared objects, and even if it did, it would probably be broken. The shared object stuff has seen many, many updates since then.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

It's not that the devs are not interested, they simply have no time to support yet another incarnation of the OS...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xeron

Ok, thanks. That's what I guessed.

But how many OS4/classic users are there?

Was there ever an official version, which you could buy (sorry, I don't remember, as I was using the developer-version)?

It requires not much extra effort for me to link statically instead of dynamically, so those old systems could be easily supported if it makes sense at all. But I'm still unsure about the making-sense part. ;)

Go to top

Register To Post