Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 152

flash, orgin, msteed, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OpenURL and OS4.1 update 1 [SOLVED]
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I noticed since installing the update that double clicking web addressses in YAM no longer works, I copied over the openurl.library and its prefs which it needs to do this.

However it still doesn't work. I get a message about the interface main not being found. I copied the OS4 version of openURL so it should not need any .l.main files should it ?

I tried other apps that use openurl and they will not open any links either.

I see that there is a new URL prefs setting, does this patch or over ride openurl in some way ?

If not it will be of limited use until developers have the info to use it in their applcations.

Some software, Digital Almanac (not to be confused with Ditigal Universe BTW) will not load unless you do have openurl.library in libs: so we do still seem to have to copy the old library across.

Is anyone else having difficulty in opening links from applications that use openurl.library that worked fine with OS4.1 before the update ?

Bill.

Edited by BillE on 2010/1/18 22:41:16
Go to top
Re: OpenURL and OS4.1 update 1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

Download this:

http://www.OS4Depot.net/index.php?fun ... ty/filetool/exec-list.lha

list the files in libs:

if the file is a 68k lib then you need the #?.1.main file.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

elist seems to do the same thing as list68k - excpet for the nice colours.

I did already use list68k on libs: which does show openurl.library as being PPC.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@BillE

I copied OpenURL.library from my backup and it works fine.

What we could do with is a wrapper OpenURL.library which calls launch-handler. OpenURL has some extra features though (it can use ARexx to communicate with running apps, as well as launching new ones).

Supporting launch-handler in apps is very easy, I've already updated NetSurf to use launch-handler for mailto: links, with a fallback to OpenURL of course.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

I copied OpenURL.library from my backup and it works fine.

I am not sure what was going on.

Next time I booted up everything was working as it should !

Quote:

Supporting launch-handler in apps is very easy, I've already updated NetSurf to use launch-handler for mailto: links, with a fallback to OpenURL of course.

How can you do that without the header files ?

AFAIK There *is* no information or SDK covering the new features of OS4.1 update 1.

Is there even any user documentation on the launch handler anywhere ?

[Grumble Mode]
I do hope the next SDK they just release an update with the files that have changed and not some huge thing which takes an eternity to download and most of the files were exactly the same as the previous SDK.
[/Grumble Mode]

Go to top
Re: OpenURL and OS4.1 update 1 [SOLVED]
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE

NO, you do not use anymore OpenURL.library, os4.1 up 1 has integrated an handler for launch applications, in devs there is URL and in L: there is launch-handler, if you want configure YAM to use this new feature click on Yam->Config->Script, the last idem is URL... select AmigaDOS and type in script "C:urlopen %p" click to save and now when you click on some url you can chose which browser do you like open.

Ciao

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:

Quote:

How can you do that without the header files ?

I updated WordNet to launch the program homepage from the About requester, and I didn't need any header files. It was just some three lines of code:

if (url = IDOS->Open("URL:http://www.homepage.com", MODE_OLDFILE))
{
IDOS->Close(url);
}

and that was about all. See SYS:Documentation/Handlers/launch-handler.doc for more information.

Go to top
Re: OpenURL and OS4.1 update 1 [SOLVED]
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sofistisoftware

But what about software that uses openurl.library.

For example Digital Almanac will not even run unless openurl.library is detected. (Bad programming but it is no longer developed so cannot be updated).

Yam has always let you use a script or DOS command so it can use something else if openurl.library is not present, but a lot of software will either fail to run or not have internet functionality if openurl is not present.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

> See SYS:Documentation/Handlers/launch-handler.doc for more information.

Thanks for that info.

A lot of the documentation is not easy to find unless you know what it is you are looking for. I had looked in Sys:documentation for something about URL or Launch but did not think of it being in handlers !

I'll go and have a read.

Go to top

Register To Post