Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

DNS server problem? How to solve it?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Lately I've been experiencing some extremely irritating slow downs while accessing the net.

Noticed first on OWB (which, unlike IBrowse, gives no feedback on what's happening), I tried to usual "restart net" and "restart modem" procedures that served me well in the rare problems of this sort I had before.
Nothing worked.

Switching to IBrowse, I noticed that, everytime I click on a link, the NetStat Manager tells me IB is spending a couple of seconds on "looking up" mode, starting to load the page afterwards.

I've been told this should be a DNS problem. I've put the adresses "by hand" on Roadshow, but they seem to be ignored when browsing, even though they appear when using "ShowNetStatus".

(Important-downloading stuff from my e-mail seems ok, as does cTorrent)

Ill get a router next week, but it's weird that it started happening without a clear reason. I didn't change anything either on my system or my modem.

I'm getting quite desperate here. :(

Go to top
Re: DNS server problem? How to solve it?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BrandonLee

I would also check with IBrowse in WinUAE on a PC if you have access to that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BrandonLee

If you are sure that you entered the correct IPs of the primary/secondary DNS servers of your ISP and the problem persists, you can try OpenDNS. www.opendns.com

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigamancer

The "name resolution" field on Roadshow has always been empty. I've been told that, with DHCP, this is taken care of by the ISP...

@MickJT

I don't have a PC in the house, at the moment. I'll try to make a few tests with one, as soon as possible.

This is driving me nuts, but at least I can access the net. Slowly, but it works... :(

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BrandonLee
You can use the command line to diagnose the problem.
First, reproduce the DNS lookup by using ping:
ping www.google.com
ping www.amigans.net
ping <whatever site>

See how fast the first line after the ping displays the IP address.
It should be immediate.

If the IP address does not display immediately, then it is a DNS problem.
You can also examine the ping responses. When you use "Ctrl+C" to break the ping, see if it reports more than 10% packet loss.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@logicalheart

There's no packet loss on any of the pings, but only the www.amigans.net was immediate (because I was browsing that site at the moment?).
The other displayed the now usual and annoying delay...

Can I force the DNS used? I was told Windows has an option to force the DNS I want, but Roadshow seems to lack that.
I'm still stuck, it's not improving.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BrandonLee

To make sure that Roadshow is using the DNS you want, open the file Devs/Internet/name_resolution and check the "nameserver" field. E.g. mine contains

# DEVS:Internet/name_resolution
# File generated by Internet 53.1 (4.7.2008)
# On Sreda, 22-Jul-09 at 22:02:21
nameserver=208.67.222.222

Varthall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Varthall

Did as you said and this happened.

While "addnetinterface" was halfway through it's procedure:

Network status summary
Local host address = 0.0.0.0 (on interface 'mynet')
Default gateway address = (Not configured)
Domain name system servers = 212.113.161.226

After it finished:

Network status summary
Local host address = 85.138.216.208 (on interface 'mynet')
Default gateway address = 85.138.223.254
Domain name system servers = 212.113.164.26, 212.113.164.24, 212.113.164.25, 212.113.164.23, 212.113.164.26, 212.113.164.24, 212.113.164.25, 212.113.164.23, 212.113.161.226

So, the value I manually entered seems "overrun" by the ones (I assume) automatically assigned by my ISP.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BrandonLee

Ok, so if I have understood correctly, you have to use DHCP since you're directly connected to the DSL line, but you also need to be able to set the DNS manually. Under Windows this is indeed possible to set DHCP to only get the IP address, while the DNS can be manually set separately. I'm not in front of my AmigaOne now, try to see under Roadshow if there's an option to set DHCP for automatic IP address only. With a router this will be much easier, as you'll be able to set both IP and DNS manually and disable DHCP.

Varthall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Varthall

I'm using DHCP, yes, since there no alternative without a router.
I know a router will make it easier on this front, but I've had one in the past and had (other) trouble. But, IIRC, it was with Miami and my old A1200.

The thing is everything worked fine as it is, why did it stop? Why am I being suddenly "imposed" a faulty DNS?!?!?
Where is the DNS list fetched from? My ISP? If so, I can pressure them a bit more. Can it be cleaned up by them?

I can't see any option to force DNS on the Roadshow prefs, but maybe through the CLI...

Go to top

Register To Post