Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

GCC in latest SDK crashes in CC1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
As with the previous SDK update earlier in the year, GCC in the latest SDK release crashes in CC1 when compiling large sources like YAM (YAMOS from the SVN repository at SourceForge) on my SAM 440ep Flex. These crashes do not occur when compiling the same sources on my ?A1. I have uploaded the crash log and debug buffer dump at OS4Depot for anyone who is interrested. When I reported this previously, no developers with SAM Flex were available to check out the YAM sources and attempt a compile. If there are any developers with SAM Flex please try compiling YAM sources to see if this problem can be confirmed.

Go to top
Re: GCC in latest SDK crashes in CC1
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@xenic
Probably stack related. Make sure you have the latest QuickFix installed as well.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

I thought we'd kinda tried to duplicate this with my set up? I guess the only other thing that could be doing it is a memory address in a faulty module?

Lets hope it is stack related

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie
I set the stack to 10,000,000 but it has no effect. I have the latest Quickfix installed. Have you tried to compile YAM on your SAM Flex? I tried everything I could think of to track down the problem but can't seem solve this issue. Hopefully, a future OS or SDK update will cure my crash. The same SDK seems to work fine on my ?A1 so I can still compile programs. I just thought it might be worthwhile to post the crash log at OS4 depot and see if anyone else has the same problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

I did not try to compile YAM on my Sam440ep, but I actually compiled quite a lot of smaller and bigger projects (partly OS components) with it without any issue. Its no flex, but I wanted to tell FYI.

What comes to mind is that GCC might use quite a large amount of memory for compiling. So did you already check your memory? Maybe it is at fault. (Just a guess, but always good to rule out as much possibilites as possible)

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Cyborg
Memtester is a little problematic on SAM but when the right starting size is entered my memory checks out OK. I even tried booting from the OS 4.1 install CD but that has no effect. I can compile small programs without crashes and large programs (other than YAM) with only 1 or 2 crashes. I'm back to using my ?A1 for other reasons but I'll try it again when we get OS 4.1 or SDK updates. I've uploaded the crash logs to OS4Depot and mentioned the problem here. There's not much else I can do if nobody can confirm the problem.

P.S. Are you sure Andy Finkel didn't say CHAOS and not CAOS. Unless CAOS is an acronym for "Commodore Amiga Operating System", the quote doesn't make much sense to me.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@xenic
Did you try assigning T: to a hard drive? GCC will use T: for all sorts of junk so it is best to assign it to an HD to avoid out of memory conditions.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

xenic wrote:
@Cyborg
Memtester is a little problematic on SAM but when the right starting size is entered my memory checks out OK. I even tried booting from the OS 4.1 install CD but that has no effect. I can compile small programs without crashes and large programs (other than YAM) with only 1 or 2 crashes. I'm back to using my ?A1 for other reasons but I'll try it again when we get OS 4.1 or SDK updates. I've uploaded the crash logs to OS4Depot and mentioned the problem here. There's not much else I can do if nobody can confirm the problem.

I can confirm that the crashes in CC1 on building large projects is pretty much 100% memory related.

I don't have a SAM and i don't try to build the YAM sources, but on my A1 with two 512MB SIMMS in place and building ScummVM will crash pretty much the same way than your project.

I found two ways to "cure" it.
1. Take out on of the two SIMMS
2. Trim down the bus speed from 133MHz to 100MHz (you will loose speed, but you can use both SIMMS wihtout problems)

I used to have solution 1 and don't get ANY crashes EVER again, but switched to solution 2 lately, because i wanted to use my second SIMM and the speed degrade isn't that much feelable

I don't know the SAM, but solution 2 might not be practicable or at all useable for you.

Quote:

P.S. Are you sure Andy Finkel didn't say CHAOS and not CAOS. Unless CAOS is an acronym for "Commodore Amiga Operating System", the quote doesn't make much sense to me.

CAOS

Quote:

from the website

CAOS stands for the Commodore Amiga Operating System. Its purpose was (good place to quote from the draft specifications here)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel
Quote:
1. Take out on of the two SIMMS
2. Trim down the bus speed from 133MHz to 100MHz (you will loose speed, but you can use both SIMMS wihtout problems)

I've removed one of my SAM's 512MB SIMMS and I still get the crashes. I haven't run multiple compile tests with 512MB and 1GB to see if there is any difference in crash frequency so there may be some marginal improvement to be had by removing some memory.
I haven't seen any documented way to alter core voltages or bus speeds on the SAM so that can't be a solution for me. Apparently there aren't many SAM owners who check out sources from CVS/SVN repositories and compile opensource programs for themselves. Maybe someday I'll either get some confirmation of the problem or find a cure.
If it is a memory problem, why does the OS4 GCC compile perfectly on the same system?? I think it's a software problem specific to SAM hardware. When the latest SDK was released there was a post in the comments for the announcement recommending that software for SAM should be compiled with the NEW SDK because of allignment issues. I wonder if binutils, make ect. were recompiled with the new SDK to eliminate allignment issues with SAM hardware?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@xenic
Quote:
I wonder if binutils, make ect. were recompiled with the new SDK to eliminate allignment issues with SAM hardware?

My port of GNU make certainly wasn't and neither were most of the tools.

Considering the age of your components, you need to verify the problem still exists with an up to date beta system. Perhaps you can find a beta tester to help you.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top

Register To Post