Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

"A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tested"
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Some quotes from Beyond3D:

"The PlayStation 3, PowerPC Macintoshes, and mobile devices are also viable OS 4.1 targets. A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tested support for the seven SPU units in the Cell processor."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54565

True or not?

"Rather than Linux or Chrome, isn't Amiga OS the perfect fit for a machine such as the PS3?"

Agreed, although IMO this cheap, widely available and multi-functional option is horribly overdue for end users, like almost everything within the Amiga community nowadays.

Hopefully the community is able to truly push forward someday. Getting back to running YDL 6.2 on my PS3 for now... :-/

Go to top
Re: "A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MikeB

The "claim" is utter rubbish. It was a complete fabrication on the part of the author of that article and has been denied many times.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Re: "A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tes
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

That's so sad, I hoped something may have changed.

As of June already 24 million PS3s have been on the market at the time. A rumoured even cheaper slimline PS3 is expected to put sales into overdrive this year, but I'm not sure if it will have 'Other OS' support out of the box.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MikeB

Have moved this topic to "Too Hot too handle".

Thankyou.

Edited by magic on 2009/8/1 10:24:22
Go to top
Re: "A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tested"
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MikeB

although it would be cool... I honestly don't think the PS3 crowd would run out to buy Amiga OS4.1 thus supporting Hyperion and future Amiga projects.
IMHO, buying a Sam and OS4.1 is the way to go

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: "A Hyperion developer told me that not only has the OS been run on a PS3, but they have even tested"
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MikeB

I will buy OS4 for PS3 if comes

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MikeB, etc
It does not matter whether OS4 has been tested on the PS3 or not. As the Frieden brothers have patiently explained several times, Sony does not give others access to the PS3's GPU, you have to use a dumb frame buffer, so graphical stuff would have very poor performance.

Until that changes, the PS3 is simply not an option. Perhaps Linux developers can emulate GPU performance using some of the Cell's SPEs, but SPEs are notoriously difficult to program, so it may well be too expensive/time-consuming for Hyperion to write such a thing from scratch.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

In the perfect world the PS3 would have 1Gb RAM+ and full access to the GPU.

It's not a perfect world so I guess I will never be able to use the PS3 for AmigaOS4+

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
More to the point why would they? Its there baby after all not ours.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@magic

If you mean why Sony should open the PS3, I can't really see any reasons and I'm sure they won't do it.

They have had decent sales as it is and now they are getting close to releasing the slim version the price will be lowered. I don't see why they would change anything.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Troels

No I ment why should they open it up? Its there baby. As in: There not going to any time soon.

Go to top

Register To Post