Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

VooDoo, BillE, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

68k apps and screen promoute on os4/peg2 questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Many 68k programms which works on os4.1 opening 640x256 screens very offten. I have setuped 640x256 screens for my Radeon, but looks like these 68k programms just stack in most cases on Fake P96 640x480 mode. And as result i have many of them showing on 1/2 of screen. How can i made it works normally for full screen ? Maybe i need just remove Fakep96 modes, and programms will be "found" for the native ones. Or maybe i need add somehow fake 640x256 mode ? Any ideas and help are welcome :)

Go to top
Re: 68k apps and screen promoute on os4/peg2 questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Anyone ? Any ideas ?
I know that many of you already have this problem (just 50% of screen are used on the 640x480 screen, becouse it's 640x256). How i can 'scale' it ? Let's it be not new mode, but maybe some utility which will scale this 'default' for programms mode ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

That's impossible. If an application insists on a specific screen mode there is no way to force it to accept another screen mode with different dimensions.

You either have to live with this limitation or dump the application completely.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tboeckel

Akways strange to see answers like somethink "impossible". Everythink is possible. About what i think right now:

1. fix the binary. Found the screenmode values in the binary itself, and patch it by hardcore way. Of course solution far from perfect, but why not.

2. Writing a wrapper, which will be as resident /commoditie in the memory, and catch asknowlegment to the 640x256 modes, and when it happenes, change it on the 640x480.

3. If aos4 can handle 640x256 mode, with just redirection of 640x256 to 640x480, then, very possible to do the same, but just redirect to the 640x256 mode, which i have native on P96 screenmode.

And it only about i think (i know nothink about, but it possible already). I just think, that some kind of utility whch can do some of this already present on os4. Becouse on os3, some kind of this utilty was done (can't remember this name).

ps. For example on Morphos, this mode handled correctly. I just choice 640x256 screens, and it shows in full screen, no like on os4 on half of screen.

Edited by kas1e on 2009/6/25 10:15:45
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Can you give any example of such 68k program ? That old screen promotion program is ModePro. Some people are telling don't use it on AOS4 but at least one person have said using it so test it yourself to find out how it works (or doesn't work). (Always prepare yourself for trouble when testing old software which patches system and which was originally targeted for AOS3.x/classic hardware only.) You can also test Screen.prefs editor to promote your screens. I've tried to promote very old Aegis Sonix with screen.prefs (but unfortunately Ciagent and that blitter emulator are not fully featured so Sonix doesn't work good enough anyway). And why don't you test removing those fake native modes (Disable (FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes) in sys:Devs/Monitors/Radeon tooltypes). Also there's checkbox in GUI.prefs (control "tab"/selection on left) to enable internal screen promotion of AOS4. (Btw. I have fake native modes disabled so I don't have those but I have still PAL modes listed in ScreenMode. I guess those comes with the internal promotion.)

Tell us the results.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

You can use Prefs/Screens to change the properties of screens that are opened by programs. Just run the program whose screen you want to change, then run SYS:Prefs/Screens, use the "Insert open screen..." function and override whatever settings you want on the screen and click "Save".

I have used this program on my ?A1 f.e. to disable compositing on the screen that PFTP opens. You can also use it to modify screenmode and other paramaters like what GUI theme a screen is using.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Thanks a lot again ! It works ! The good think, that i can setup any mode now and choice for example 400x300, which looks better than 640x256 , but looks good.

Btw, have os4 any kind of utility for "move" the screen ? I.e. for my monitor, with p96, all my modes (almost everyone) over the 'bounds'. I think it's becouse of monitor, but it possible to "resize" a bit screens visually by some programm ?

@TSK
thanks for ideas, i just tryed Salas00 ones and it works as it must for me. What about programms, you can try these music disks which works fine with new ptreplay.library which salas00 done some days ago (replaicement for old one, which worked before over the paula, this one works over the ahi, so any programm which use ptreplay.library can now works fine, when you replace old one or new one + ptplay.library). The list of music disks which you can try:

RedPack4,5,6
Embrion2

The all was 640x256, but now it can be any mode with prefs/screen. Or for example you can try these little prods:

wheelpz info (1,2)
MWI Zosia (1,2,3,4)

It has no music at moment (becouse used some deep hardware players), but it gfx/etc works, and it also was 640x256 on half of screen but works ok with prefs/screen.

Go to top

Register To Post