Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

amigait, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Repulse and OS4 Classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there anyone out there who might be able to patch or make some working drivers for the Repulse sound card on OS4 Classic? It is really annoying to have no sound on OS4 except Paula (even Linux/BSD supports the Repulse) and I guess I am not the only one who has this card.

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Re: Repulse and OS4 Classic
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DJBase

nope ... your not the only one! :-/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DJBase

Perhaps if you provided links to the source code for the driver and any other dependencies it might inspire someone to browse through it

just a thought

good luck however

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Well, theres at least a developer archive with includes but I am not sure if this would be enough.

http://repulse.amigaworld.de/

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DJBase

I started work on an OS4 native driver using the linux driver as a reference. I gave up, though.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xeron

What were your problems?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DJBase

Quote:

DJBase wrote:
@xeron

What were your problems?

I was going to ask this too but didn't want to hijack the thread for my own reasons

I wanted to see what problems coders can come up against (especially new coders in C and also AmigaOS parculiarities) because I intend to follow this very path myself in the weeks to come...

thanks for asking that question and thanks to xeron for answering

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DJBase

Does the driver show up at all in AHI prefs?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveAE

Yes, everything seems to be fine but when I try to playback something nothing happens. Every player refuses to play until I change the AHI unit again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DJBase

Ok. Then it wasn't just a matter of installing the repulse.l.main file!
I think I got the source code at some point, but I'm probably not allowed to distribute it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I gave up because it was too much of a stab into the unknown. I have no experience writing AHI drivers, or sound card drivers.

DaveAE gave me an AC'97 based OS4 driver to use as a base, and I was going to put the logic from the Linux driver in where possible.

It just drove me nuts and i gave up, basically.

I still have the code if someone wants to look, but its probably best to just start again.

@DaveAE
The official repulse drivers just plain don't work on OS4. AFAIK, anything that tries to play sound just gets 'stuck'.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xeron

Quote:
The official repulse drivers just plain don't work on OS4. AFAIK, anything that tries to play sound just gets 'stuck'.
No idea about the Repulse, but most sound cards use DMA. m68k DMA drivers can't work on PPC because of the different cache line size, on m68k it was 16 bytes and 16 bytes alignment was enough for the data, but on PPC the cache line size is 32 bytes and only using 16 bytes alignment for DMA can't work because the caches may get flushed and/or invalidated for data outside of the DMA buffers.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

But you would still hear something, be it garbage or the actual sound.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveAE

and btw ... it works under MOS. (with some timing issue but it works)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveAE

You have the original source of the repulse lib?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DJBase

Yes, it's partly 68k asm, partly C.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveAE

Have you tried to check the source if you can find something that prevents the repulse from working on OS4?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DJBase

Well, it's been years ago and I can't read 68k asm. If the card uses DMA then it will go wrong because virtual is not equal to physical memory.

Go to top

Register To Post