Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Raziel, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Simple mail set up... (Solved) :)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My PC (wife's cast off) is borked. I have had problems with the usb drivers, and noe it won't even load outlook express. So I cannot get my email's.

I would like to set this up on my A1 using Simplemail.
Particularly, because Simplemail will import .dbx files, so I don't loose my old emails.

I was wondering the best way to set this up?
I have a indernet draw, on my work partition, which has Ibrowse, Aweb, OWB, wget, etc in it. Would it be safer to set Internet apps on their own partition, so I don't bork my work partiton, if any problems occur?
I have disk cache turned off in IBrowse for that very reason, but I didn't know how Simplemail would fare.
Does it download emails automatically, or do I need to launch it every time?

Any help, gratefully recieved.

Edited by Swoop on 2009/1/8 12:12:38
Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Simple mail set up
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

It can be set up either way, Peter. I do mine manually because I don't always want to get the second account at home.

But there are options for auto collection at program startup, auto collection when going online, or timed auto scanning for messages while online.

I have a separate partition set up just like yout's for barious online apps, with cache for AWeb set up as Ram:. Simplemail, AWeb and OWB get lots of use here, and occassionally Thor. I've had no trouble with any invalidated partition this way.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
I have a separate partition set up just like yout's for barious online apps, with cache for AWeb set up as Ram:. Simplemail, AWeb and OWB get lots of use here, and occassionally Thor. I've had no trouble with any invalidated partition this way.

Paul
Thanks for that, I'll set up a seperate internet partition as well. At least it will free up some space on my work partition.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

I have set up simplemail with all my email provider details, but I get an RCPT failed error message.
Any ideas?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Setup siimplemail for the first time in a long time a couple of days ago.
Get that error for one account but not the other.
I assumed it was because of an error on my part.

Will have another go now.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Quote:
Swoop wrote:

I have set up simplemail with all my email provider details, but I get an RCPT failed error message.
Any ideas?

OK, I have cracked it.

Having played with all the options last night and drawing a blank. This morning, I suddenly thought about the secure smpt option.

Under settings/accounts, I selected use SMPT AUTH entered my login and password, and hey bingo! I could send emails.

Now to learn how to stream line everthing to automate it to how I want it.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Hmm.
I got a DSI error when I tried that.
Will try again tonight in that case.

Cheers.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Quote:
Hmm.
I got a DSI error when I tried that.
Will try again tonight in that case.

Cheers.

Have you checked you have the required mui files?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

No I didn't, will check that as well.
Cheers.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Quote:

Simplemail, AWeb and OWB get lots of use here, and occassionally Thor. I've had no trouble with any invalidated partition this way.

Paul

Thanks for that, I'll set up a seperate internet partition as well. At least it will free up some space on my work partition.

Another option to minimize disc access, is to use IMAP if provided by the account.
It doesn't download the messages, only attachments when they are accessed opened.
It's totaly online e-mail processing (almost everyone got broadband these days).
And when accessed from several computers and even different clients, same contents are everywhere.
The problem with simplemail is that it can't do gmail using IMAP and doesn't supports folder inside directories.
At least not transparently enough.
Here comes handy sylpheed, courtesy of Edgar. 4 IMAP accounts inside 1 window, 2 of them gmail
If I had some time I would have tried to port pine/alpine, imho, the killer-client (despite having a text interface).

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Well tried it again and this time it worked.
Maybe I mistyped the password or something last time.

Cheers.

Go to top

Register To Post