Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

Chris, orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Create a programing language
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@freddix

Hi

I really like your idea on creating a programming language.

Have you looked at the 68k asm source code for Amos whish is available ?

Could you make a C version for 68k ? EG Amikit ?

The problem right now alot of messing about with C is header files, updating from fd , inlining etc.

If you could recreate Amos Pro to use RTG/AHI/3D is what we need.

Why? Amos is the most stable, easy to get started programming language to this date, in the world, even now 20 years later it still runs without modification and is extendable.

The Amos language is easy to use (the best), interpreter, editor is stable, hast test, formatting of code, code folding.

If your commands are compatible to AMOS, you can run/compile 1000s Amos code !

Command structure in XML would last the test of time.
SDL Basic is fantastic, just slow and buggy. shame.
Make a complete suite with editor that compiles in your basic language !

For example if Amos was written in Amos code we could update it today !

The Amos manual could help :
http://amos.condor.serverpro3.com/index.php?page=7

Under MSX basic source code: MSX basic source code
http://msx.retro8bits.com/msxsw.html

Please make it OS 3.x compatible, for all Amigas.
Right now GCC/SDL is most compatible C language.
Your basic language depends what is most important to you: speed/os compatibility/game dev/app dev/future proof/portability/scripting/

get the design right :)

look at other languages and ask what is good/bad. why it has survived or not.

If Amiga had one universal basic programming language - what a joy that would be !

good luck

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@angelheart:

Hi,

Quote:
Have you looked at the 68k asm source code for Amos whish is available ?

Yes ... it's unuseable :p even Francois Lionet advice to not inspire from its Amos Source code to develop a new programing language.

Quote:
If you could recreate Amos Pro to use RTG/AHI/3D is what we need.

It's similar to what I'd like to do ;)

Quote:
Why? Amos is the most stable, easy to get started programming language to this date, in the world, even now 20 years later it still runs without modification and is extendable.
Heh :p Another Amos FAN :p just like me ;)

Quote:
If your commands are compatible to AMOS, you can run/compile 1000s Amos code !

Right. I will probably make something near to Amos and near to DarkBASIC to ensure we can migrate source code from both language without too much difficulties. It's my main objective.

Thank you for these links. I will take a look at these :p

Quote:
Please make it OS 3.x compatible, for all Amigas.

It's not an easy task .... It will probably be possible to make it retro-compatible with OS 3.x but for sure, it will only be for Amiga equiped with PPC cpus ...

Quote:
Your basic language depends what is most important to you: speed/os compatibility/game dev/app dev/future proof/portability/scripting/

get the design right :)

look at other languages and ask what is good/bad. why it has survived or not.

I you want to know exactly what I'll surely develop, here are some explanations.
My small company (Personal Entreprise, Odyssey-Creators) is in good relation with the company called TheGameCreators that develop "DarkBASIC Professional" (you can see that I resell products they've made and they resell products I've made ;)) ...
I will highly inspire from the structure of DarkBASIC Professional ... that is itself inspired from Amos structure.

The principle is to have a set of library (.lib under Amos and .dll under DarkBASIC Professional)
Each library contain a full set of commands, for example : Sprites, Images, Basic3D objects, Matrixes, Shaders, Sounds, Musics, IO, FTP, Network, etc ...
Like Amos, when you'll compile a program that use a library, it will also include the library initialisation procedures (like amos do, those that have already created plugin for Amos/AmosPRO know what I say) ... The main obligation in coding is to make relocatable source code and have some internal CPUs registers reserved for the language core pointers access.
What can then be done ?
Easily replace a .lib/.dll with an updated/upgraded one ... That can make the language easy to improve and keep it updated with new technologies ...

I will really start to work on the project on beginning december (cos I'll have 10 days off ... that will allow me to prepare the full descriptive of my projects with all the components and all the limitations).

EDIT :
angelheart, I own a copy of AmosPRO with the full paper manual ;)

Kindest Regards,
Fred

Edited by freddix on 2008/11/14 15:31:23
Edited by freddix on 2008/11/14 15:32:16
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@freddix
Hello Fred,
your project is very interesting, have you already started to code it? :)
If you don't mind I've some suggestions about the example you've made with:

Quote:

freddix wrote:

Open To Read CHANNEL, FILE$
Open To Write CHANNEL, FILE$

I suggest to allow a dynamic channel allocation handled by your internal code, something like:

Channel = Open To Read FILE$

In this way the user is more "free" and can work easily with many opened files at a time without worring about the channel to use.
Imagine if someone would code a database with your language, with an unknown number of files to handle.
Tracking which channels are free and which one are used can force the user to make custom tracking routines slowing down the code.

Regards,
Allanon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Amos is crap. Amiblitz alone is crap too, if you want to do serious developing nowadays. But it is written in itself and very flexible and has a very good IDE. Now there are the "Includes". They give you the power and the speed what you expect from an allround language. If anyone want to create a new language, maybe the API and Source of the includes would a good start.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)