Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
248 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 248

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmiDVD..............
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
Yes, but FormatCDRW is from joerg, too (and CDFileSystem, and some other OS4 parts).
I didn't realise that.
Amyway, after formatting AmiDVD recognises the DVD+RW.

Unfortunatley, the iso was only burned to 24% before stopping. I don't know what can be wrong. I'll have to try a different make of discs and see if that helps.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Quote:
I see there is a comment about formatting DVD+RW's in the AmiDVD readme, I am presuming this is part of my problem.
No, if a DVD+RW wasn't formatted yet (only has to be done once for each DVD+RW, reformatting isn't required when you want to overwrite it) the "Burn DVD+RW" gadget is disabled in AmiDVD.

Once I managed to get FormatCDRW to work the "Burn DVD+RW" gadget was enabled, see previous post.

Quote:
Quote:
But what about DVD+R's,
Was there any error output in the console when burning, or did it simply stop without displaying an error?

I get a loading disc message, and a ready message, once the ghosted icons, appear on Workbench, but no burn gadget enabled in AmiDVD.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
Unfortunatley, the iso was only burned to 24% before stopping. I don't know what can be wrong.
Maybe AOpen uses Pioneer drives... I don't remeber if the problems with Pioneer drives was only when burning DVD+R or with DVD+RW as well, but I'll build a test version with the Pioneer workaround enabled for AOpen drives as well for you.

No idea why it doesn't recognise DVD+Rs, I'll have to add debug output for that as well, or send you a small test tool.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunatley, the iso was only burned to 24% before stopping. I don't know what can be wrong.
Maybe AOpen uses Pioneer drives... I don't remeber if the problems with Pioneer drives was only when burning DVD+R or with DVD+RW as well, but I'll build a test version with the Pioneer workaround enabled for AOpen drives as well for you.
Thanks for that, I look forward to it.

Quote:
No idea why it doesn't recognise DVD+Rs, I'll have to add debug output for that as well, or send you a small test tool.
It might be a media problem. I have just realised that the DVD+R's I used originally were Viking Direct ones, and the DVD+R's I recently used are Tesco ones. I have got together all the different media I have available to me and I will test asap.

Just as an aside, why do DVD+RW's have to be formatted with FormatCDRW before burning?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
Just as an aside, why do DVD+RW's have to be formatted with FormatCDRW before burning?
AmiDVD doesn't support formatting DVD+RWs yet. DVD+RWs have to be formatted before they can be used, no idea why they aren't sold pre-formatted like for example DVD-RAMs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Just dragging an old thread to the front.

I have (hopefully) solved my DVDwriter problem.

The DVDwriter was running in PI0 mode not UDMA.

I had used UBoot prefs to set the uboot config, and running NVGetVar showed the UBoot parameters to be correct, but when running idetool to check the sii card ide devices it showed the drive to be running in best PI0.

I have added the following line to my user startup, to force UDMA.
run >nil: c:idetool -x sii0680ide.device 2 68

as a side note, when device 2 was a CDRW I had to force device 3 into UDMA with the following line.
run >nil: c:idetool -x sii0680ide.device 3 66

I have no idea why I have to force UDMA, it might be some thing to do with the sii0680device driver, but at least it works now.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Again, dragging an old thread to the top.

I have changed the following line in my user startup, to force my writer to use UDMA3 (dma67).
run >nil: c:idetool -x sii0680ide.device 2 67

This has eliminated a problem I found whilst trying to duplicate a problem, in a thread on AW.
I'll start backing up to DVD again and see how I get on.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

HI!
Maybe your telling about my thread:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=27549&forum=32

?

So... why you dont simply force the UDMA mode in UBoot prefs? I've set the UDMA there to force the UDMA types...
Or doing it via shell was better for some reason?

Cya!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Tuxedo

Quote:
So... why you dont simply force the UDMA mode in UBoot prefs? I've set the UDMA there to force the UDMA types...
Or doing it via shell was better for some reason?

Cya!
It doesn't work from UBoot.
My UBoot settings using nvgetvar is sii0680ide_xfer=FEEC and yet idetool reports it as best pio. Prefs/Uboot reports what the UBoot variables say, which is not what idetool says. The only way to get idetool to report the drive as runnning in UDMA mode was?to put the command line in my user-startup.
I did mention this in the UBoot bugs thread, but Rogue said that he was not responsible for any bugs in idetool, or prefs/Uboot, and didn't have time to look at them.
So I don't know if my drive not being initialised(?) correctly is a hardware fault with the drive, or a bug in either uboot, idetool, or Prefs/UBoot.

Still, forcing it from user-startup works, so not a major problem.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Does it work if you change it using the U-Boot shell?

setvar sii0680ide_xfer WXYZ
saveenv

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Weird...
to me works perfectly set the Sil680 values from UBoot Prefs...that's what I done to change the pio modes...
dunno...

Edited by Tuxedo on 2008/12/7 15:38:26
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Same problem here on my MicroA1. I have to activate UDMA for my hard disk via the startup-sequence. Any other way doesn't work (UBoot shell, UBootPrefs...).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
Does it work if you change it using the U-Boot shell?

setvar sii0680ide_xfer WXYZ
saveenv

Yes, in that the UBoot settings are changed, but the drive does not run in UDMA without the c:idetool command.

I don't know how to test the drive speed, without booting OS4, and OS4 deosn't recognise the drive as running in UDMA until forced to do so.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)